MembersZone Subscriber

Question Any departments hirings?

Hey boys and girls. I just moved down to FL from NC where I fought fire for 3 years and was wondering if anyone knew any dept that was hiring anywhere in the US. It can be structural or wildland- doesn't matter. I just want to get back to eating some smoke. Thanks.

Forum Member

From what I understand, departments all over Florida just cannot fill vacancies fast enough, especially if you are a Paramedic.

Most of the South seems to be hiring a lot, I have seen stuff all over Texas, and several in South Carolina. The Federal government is hiring as well all over, but they usually work 72 hour weeks.

The catch to most of this is that you pretty much need the Paramedic ticket to open up a lot of the doors for you.

My definite advice to you is stay out of Massachusetts. LOTS of cities and towns are cancelling recruit classes and not filling vacancies because the state says that they aren't going to giving as much money to towns in July. I know a lot of guys who are VERY nervous. It seems strange though because New Hampshire is hiring like crazy, again, they like Paramedics though.

Best wishes in your search.

P.S. California seems to be hiring like crazy as well.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help. You're right about FL but what is not said is that only a handful of those depts. that are hiring right now are willing to train people. Everybody is looking for the easy and cheapest way out to get people instead of investing in them. I'm NC certified but reciprocity here is a little difficult and to pay for the training out of pocket is costly and time-consuming, not to mention that there aren't any vol. depts. in my area to train with.

Forum Member

Default Right here

Subscribe and check out the job listings and career articles on this web site:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/jobs/

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I already checked it. Only dept. hiring uncert. in FL is Gainesville.

Capt. Bob,
    Anything over in your side of the country besides LA?
    To Err Is Human; To Forgive Divine. Neither Is Marine Corps Policy. Semper Fi! Ooh-Rah!

Let's roll!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Testing Help

I'm an active duty Marine getting out in 2005. I'm trying to find testing dates anywhere on the eastcoast. Any ideas???

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Places to look

Do as CaptBob suggested and subsrbice to FH.com. As far as firefighter job sites go, they have the best that I have seen out there. I had subscribed to three of the bigger ones out there and they were not much help, not to mention the fees they charged compared to FH.com.
    The other places to look are job search websites. Do not limit yourself to only one or two. Even some of the job metasearch sites do not always list some of the job search sites out there.
    Another resource is of course checking official websites or contating particular depts that you would like to work for. Some allow you to place an interest card with them for when they will be testing.
    Try going to these places that I mentioned about twice a week, it may be a lot of time searching. But if I can paraphrase a saying of CaptBob's "nothing matter's till you get that badge, nothing"
    And don't forget to do some research on the dept that you will be applying to. It would be a major bummer if you go through the process, get hired, move (if needed) and then not like the area or other particulars about the department.
    Good luck.
    When Life Is On The Line. We Are Never Off Duty.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

A little advice, TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING! The market is diffrent
    now that it was 10 15 20 years ago. Back then it did not matter what training you had, now it seems eveyone wants training and if you are a paramedic or an EMT you're in!! Look at some of the bigger departments, most are looking for firefighter/ paramedics.

stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

So then do you think it would be better to take a paramedic course or get the AA degree? I'm currently debating between either getting my Associate's in Fire Science, getting my paramedic cert., or getting my Associate in EMS(therefore also getting my paramedic's license).
    To Err Is Human; To Forgive Divine. Neither Is Marine Corps Policy. Semper Fi! Ooh-Rah!

Let's roll!

Forum Member

rbango
    I asked the same question of the head of a fire program at a community college in Florida and he told me...Paramedic...definitely get your medic. Some dept's will hire a medic without Florida FF cert and send them through the academy. This is for Florida only.

MembersZone Subscriber

GrovFire25
    Thanks for the info. I know that one of the depts. down here is doing what you said. I just didn't know if others were doing the same or not. I'm going to try to challenge the EMT cert. since I'm certified in NC, and if that goes well I'm going to apply for the paramedic course at the college.

Let's roll!

MembersZone Subscriber

rbango,

I would suggest getting the Associate's degree in EMS w/ the medic cert. Some departments want college credits and this will cover you there. Not to mention having the golden key, a National Registry Paramedic certification.
    When Life Is On The Line. We Are Never Off Duty.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's true. That's why I'm debating between going for the double Associate's or focuisng on one at a time. I might do one at a time so that I'll be able to use the fact that I already will have a degree on my application versus putting down that I'm still finishing trying to get one.

Let's roll!

Forum Member

Do one at a time. Paramedic school is very taxing on you because so much is thrown at you so quickly. You need to be able to absorb it and apply it. I recommend this to a lot of people. I have an AA in Pramedic Technology but there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I could have completed it while completing the Paramedic program as well.

One must be patient, and this is the hardest thing in the world to do when you want that job so badly.

It sounds like you are going for your Paramedic anyway so let me give you a few pearls of wisdom so to speak:

1) There is no such thing as a good time to go to Medic school.

2) Prepare your signifigant other for the above.

3) When the going gets tough for you (and it will) just remember what the ultimate goal is.

4) Deep breaths and patience.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I am definitely going for my paramedic's cert. But the AS degree for it only is a few more credits and the school has it broken down to how you should take your courses each semester, plus it includes the medic cert. You're right, having to wait SUCKS- especially once you've gotten a taste for the career. About the time, I'm lucky that my wife has had to deal with my schedule during the fire academy and then when I got on line. Thanks for the advice.

Let's roll!

Wink GOT 1 OPENING

If you feel like moveing to Southeast Kansas, the Neodesha Fire Department is hiring. You do have to be at least an EMT-B or higher. They also run the local ambulance service. And if you don't have any fire training, they can teach you in house. They are a combo department, paid and vol. There station is only 5 years old, costing just short of 1 million dollars.... ITS NICE!! 5 pumper, 1 rescue, 2 ambulances, and a new one on order which should be in about May. You do have to live within 2 miles of city limits. If you have any questions fill free to call. (620) 325-2642 ask for Chief Charles Reynolds. If he is't there any of the guys can help ya. Or mail in a request for an app. to City of Neodesha, PO Box 336. Neodesha KS,66757

MembersZone Subscriber

Biggest department in CO:

http://www.denvergov.org/Recruit/template21749.asp

Second biggest department in CO:

http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=2587

Another CO department:

http://www.wmfpd.com/indexIN.html

Good luck

Thread Information