Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs down Ode To Mutts... You Be The Judge.

These are two stories, unrelated but both equally ugly and not very nice...

SPCA seeks dog-killer canada.com

Wednesday, January 08, 2003 CREDIT: CH TV

The SPCA in Nanaimo is looking for the person who shot and killed a dog.

The young male German Shepherd's body was found by skeet shooters near McKay Lake on Dec. 30.

"Its mouth was duct-taped shut and it had been shot in the head," Nanaimo SPCA spokesperson Linda Furnell said.

"[The skeet shooters] retrieved the body and brought it back in to a local veterinarian here in town to see if any identification could be found on the dog."

The veterinarian who performed the autopsy said the dog did not die immediately.

"It was a painful death," said Furnell.

The Nanaimo SPCA is asking anyone who knows anything about the killing to come forward.

The agency also wants to remind pet owners that there are other options than killing an unwanted pet.

The person responsible may be charged with cruelty to an animal.

© Copyright 2003 CH TV

Police capture woman sought in Newark child abuse case where 7-year-old died Canadian Press

Thursday, January 09, 2003

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - The woman who was supposed to be taking care of three brothers in a torture and abuse case, including a seven-year-old boy whose body was found stuffed in a plastic storage bin, was captured early Thursday in a Newark apartment.

Sherry Murphy was found sleeping at around 2 a.m., police Lieut. Derek Glenn said. She had been sought since the body of Faheem Williams was found Sunday, a day after his two brothers were found starving in a locked room.

Murphy, who was wanted on child endangerment charges, had been caring for the boys since their mother, Melinda Williams, was jailed on assault charges in March.

The FBI has also been preparing a warrant charging Murphy, a go-go dancer who is Williams' cousin, with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

Newark police had been flooded with tips that Murphy left New Jersey.

Faheem Williams' twin brother, Raheem, seven, and another brother, Tyrone Hill, four, remained hospitalized Wednesday in fair condition. When they were found, they were cowering under a bed soaked with urine, feces and vomit in the basement of a Newark rowhouse. They were using a jar for a toilet and their hair was infested with lice. They had not eaten in days.

Authorities did not know Faheem existed until Raheem said at the hospital that he hadn't seen his twin for a long time. They went back the next day and discovered Faheem's mummified remains in the purple storage box. He had been dead for more than a month.

No one has been charged in the death, but authorities have been looking for Murphy, 41, who took the children after Williams was jailed for child abuse.

Williams, 31, was hit by a car while rushing to see her children Saturday and is in critical condition at a New York hospital. Before Faheem's death, she told authorities she could not find Murphy or the children after she got out of jail months ago.

New Jersey's Division of Youth and Family Services had received 10 complaints about the family over the past 10 years, including one in October 2001 that Williams was beating and burning her children.

Three of the complaints were substantiated: Williams left the children alone in 1996 and 1999, and she failed to get medical attention for another child, seven-year-old Fuquan, after he cut his hand in 1998. The boy, now 11, is in a treatment centre in New York.

Authorities say at least one of the boys also was molested. A friend of Williams was arrested Wednesday and charged with sexual abuse.

Yet the state agency closed the case in February 2002, saying it could not find the boys. That same month, Williams was jailed for child endangerment stemming from a 1996 incident and she entrusted the boys to Murphy, who was dancing in bars under the stage name "Ebony."

Police said Murphy has a crack habit but no criminal record.

When Raheem and Tyrone were rushed to the emergency room, they were weak and undernourished. Tyrone, who showed evidence of scars and burn marks, was put on a liquid diet because he could not handle solid food.

A cat in the apartment was immaculately clean and well-fed.

"The mere fact that he had food means he was better off than those kids," police Lieut. Derek Glenn said.

Much of the mistreatment of the boys happened while they were supposedly under the protection of the state child welfare agency. Investigators say they were subjected to nearly continuous abuse that included beatings and burnings with cigarettes and hot liquids.

"This is the most horrible story I have ever heard," said Mayor Sharpe James. "There's enough blame here to go around for a lot of people."

The ghastly case is just the latest around the United States to highlight the difficulties caseworkers have in protecting some of the most vulnerable children from abuse or even death.

In Florida, the state's child-welfare agency went through a shake-up last year after caseworkers lost track of five-year-old Rilya Wilson for 15 months before realizing she was missing. In Missouri, a caseworker resigned last week after a two-year-old boy who had been sent back to a foster home was shaken to death.

In New Jersey, Gov. James McGreevey ordered an investigation of the agency and new procedures for investigating allegations of abuse. The supervisor in charge of the Williams case was suspended with pay Wednesday.

"It appears that's where mistakes were made in this case," said Micah Rasmussen, a spokesman for the governor. Neither the supervisor nor the caseworker has been identified.

New Jersey's Division of Youth and Family Services has 1,400 people to supervise some 47,000 children; the average caseload is 35. National advocates recommend that a caseworker handle no more than 25.

Union officials say the caseworker assigned to the Williamses was juggling 107 cases, but state officials claim the number was far less. They say the unidentified worker was responsible for 53 children in 27 families.

© Copyright 2003 The Canadian Press

I am not sure which one disgusts me more... I'll let you be the judge.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

It is sad when these things happen to think that no matter how advanced of a society that we are, that these things happen.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

What is even more sad are the cases that go unnoticed.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Malahat, you seem to be fishing for a debate. You are correct, both stories are examples of pathetic behavior by undoubtedly moronic people.

If you want me to pick which one bugs me more, OK. I have two dogs and think the world of them, but lets be honest, a dog being murdered cannot compare with the death of a child, regardless of circumstance.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Default Duffman

I don't think Malahat is fishing for a debate, I believe he was merely stating "his" opinion that both are disgusting and sick. Of course human life comes before that of an animal, however the manner in which this dog was disposed of is inhumane. It is sad that we have become such a "throwaway" society that some members seem to think that they can just dispose of living, breathing beings in the ways cited above. I believe that his intent may have been to post just one thread on two sickening things rather than have two separate threads.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The most disgusting thing is not the behavior of this woman. People have the ability to act like animals and nothing they do surprises me anymore.

What is disgusting is that the agency set up in NJ to protect these kids, the Division of Youth and Family Services behaved so irresponsibly. This is an agency which historically works their people todeath for no money, aggressively pursues cases against innocent people and people who are trying to do the right thing inorder to build numbers, then hides behind a steel curtain called "confidentiality" when people call them to task. The management of DYFS should also be charged with neglect and official misconduct in this case.

Duffman, no debate intended or desired. Like you have two dogs, and we also have children in our home, and because of that, I am deeply disgusted by both stories. Worse still is that it was a human who did these things.

I have several thoughts for punishments for the perpetrators of both events, but..... suffice to say, it would be a long and painful process for them.

Incidentally there is another case of child/sexual abuse here in Victoria, that was reported on today. That case is even more disgusting and disturbing than the one above. It bothers me enough that I chose not to submit it.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

No offense intended Malahat, perhaps it was I who was looking for a debate, and therefore read into your statements a little too much. Sometimes my penchant for commentary gets the best of me.

My apologies brother.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

George, you know what bothers me a lot about this whole thing? On the news (I know, can't always believe the news) all you see is relatives of these kids complaining about how DYFS "dropped the ball" and mismanaged the case. I will agree with DYFS not doing much correct on this case if any at all, but my problem is this: where were all these relatives for the last few months? Did they never bother to check on these kids? Where were they? I have many nieces and nephews (as I'm sure most people out there do) and if there mother was taken away and left the kids with a cousin, you can damn well bet that I would ask about them once in a while. I think all these relatives that are popping up now need to step back and look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves some questions.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Hey Duffman, non taken.... darn its tough to shake hands through a 'puter.

And I agree with George and Bones too. Where was the Case Worker through all this.... and the rest of the family. I have suspicions that they are all somewhat on the dysfunctional side themselves.

I won't go as far as to say that I have seen enough of human behaviour to not be suprised anymore by a persons actions or lack of... this sort of thing always rocks me back on my heels. So much for modern society, I guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    George, you know what bothers me a lot about this whole thing? On the news (I know, can't always believe the news) all you see is relatives of these kids complaining about how DYFS "dropped the ball" and mismanaged the case. I will agree with DYFS not doing much correct on this case if any at all, but my problem is this: where were all these relatives for the last few months? Did they never bother to check on these kids? Where were they? I have many nieces and nephews (as I'm sure most people out there do) and if there mother was taken away and left the kids with a cousin, you can damn well bet that I would ask about them once in a while. I think all these relatives that are popping up now need to step back and look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves some questions.
    All I can say is that it is a different world there. IMHO, these relatives are popping up now looking for their limelight and to capitalize on this financially. It sounds cynical, but it is what it is.

The Star Ledger is reporting that the mother spent October and November "searching" for the kids. Searching? Newark is big, but it ain't that big. They are also saying that the little guy may have been killed as early as September. DYFS sucks. Their case workers won't do anything that is hard. They pick on people who are easy, but don't do anything extra with the hard cases.

We had a fire in a third floor apt. one night, late. The apt. was occuppied by a mother and two small kids, and her slack-jawed creton boyfriend. He sets the bedroom on fire smoking, she runs out, he grabs the TV and runs out and they both leave the kids in there. The FD made a good grab. They are both drunk. We called DYFS. They refused to even come out and get involved.

MembersZone Subscriber gordoffemt's Avatar

Possible solution or deterrent:

Female seeking public assistance = Mandatory Norplant for birth control

It's obvious, most of these people have no business bringing children into this world. Somebody's got to stop the madness.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Thread Information