Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Piston Intake Valve

My department is in the process of ordering a new intake valve for our pumoer. We would like to here other departments purchases and suggestions. We are thinking of getting the Black Max Piston Intake Relief Valve. Thanks

Colby Rigg
    Safety Ofc
    Bellmont Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 5" Piston Intake Valve on all 3 of our pumpers. They are set to relieve pressure at 150PSI. I think they are very efficient and easy to operate. The wheel crank valve is much easier than the Manual butterfly valve on the more traditional intake valves.

So far, the best I've seen are the Black Max by Akron, and the other (I forget who made them originally) are now built by TFT. Be very careful in your specs or the vender will give you some adapted crap that will kill your flow. Also make sure that the swivel will rotate under pressure, because if you don't you will find that the hose will twist up and shut off the water if you're not careful.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jaffery intake valves

My department uses the Jaffery intake valves, as far as I know we have had no problems other than having to send a few back after years of use the ball valve was in need of replacement, and yes the one's we have to open under pressure with no problem. We do have one intake valve on both sides of the truck so that you can attach two supply lines for big water supply.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Anybody ever draft through these things? Does restrict flow more/less than a butterfly valve?

Blacksheep, what do you mean about extra stuff?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Exclamation Do not draft.

Do not draft with these things. Most manufacture's valves work very well when using five inch off a hydrant. But regardless of what they say, the valves are a real problem in drafting. Loss of flow, air leaks, etc. Drop the valve on the ground and hook the hard suction directly to the pump.

The one exception, whe have to have one, is when drafting from a portable tank that might not always have water. Otherwise, drop the valve.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Post Go Shopping

I recommend you look at Ball Intake Valves. There is a new one on the market by a nationally recognized company. I have seen and used it. I feel it is the best as it's design is based on addressing problems encountered with other valves.

Look around!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Akron Brass

Never have used one.......but
    I built the injection mold for producing the piston

I want to say the Jaffrey's are the ones now built by TFT, but I could be wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Drafting

I would certainly agree that piston intake valves are NOT intended to be drafted through. If you face the possibility of having to draft on a REGULAR basis, I would recommend installing a piston intake valve on one side for hydrant supply and a butterfly valve on the other for drafting. Who wants to be dropping valves when you're trying to get water on a fire? Not to mention dropping the piston valve normally leaves you with NO valve, not a desirable drafting situation either, eh?

Thread Information