Fire at the West Wing
Fire at The West Wing
Jan 9, 11:30 AM EST
BURBANK (AP) -- A faulty overhead light ignited a fire on the set of NBC's Emmy-winning White House drama "The West Wing" Thursday, prompting an evacuation of the Warner Bros. soundstage.
Sprinklers doused the flames as about 100 people fled the building, Burbank Fire Marshal David Starr said. There were no reports of injuries.
Studio representatives said they were unsure which actors were present, but the stages involved were the White House situation room and a cafeteria setting.
Shortly after 8 a.m., a halogen light burst, sprinkling flaming material onto a layer of muslin that diffuses the illumination, Starr said. Sprinklers contained the flames until firefighters arrived to extinguish them.
"The stage filled completely with smoke," he said. "But nobody was hurt and they were all able to exit the building. Everything went very smooth."
He estimated that the set received $100,000 in smoke and water damage.
Production was stopped for the day but was set to resume Friday on another stage. "The West Wing" uses two other soundstage buildings for its sets which were not damaged by the blaze, according to the studio.
The show, which has won three consecutive best-drama Emmys, stars Martin Sheen as the fictional president. Stockard Channing plays his wife, and Allison Janney, John Spencer, Bradley Whitford and Richard Schiff co-star as his staff.
Sounds to me that a Fire Extinguisher would have been very helpful. And could have saved alot of water Damage.
the article stated it was an overhead light so it might have been out of reach with an extinguisher. but hard to tell from the article.
This was a 2 alarm fire with units from Burbank and Glendale responding to it,
Units from Pasadena and Glendale were called to move up and cover empty burbank station's