• Engine-

1 9.09%
  • Rescue-

0 0%
  • Quick Attack-

1 9.09%
    Forum Member

Default What do you call a Mini-Pumper

We are going to take delivery of a new E-One mini-pumper in March. All of our Guys are trying to come up with a name for this new piece of apparatus. The problem is we don't know what to call it. It's not an Engine per say. All of the Rescues in our county are Ambulances. Please try to help us out. We are having fun with this. One of the guys said to name it a Fast Attack Response Truck (FART).
    Last edited by Flochief; 01-11-2003 at 06:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

I like FART better.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Forum Member

Default Naming a Mini

It looks like you've ruled out Engine and Rescue. My thoughts would be name is acording to it's mission. Will it be first out and thus be a Quick Attack. Will it be use to provide backup manpower and be multi mission? If so Squad seems to work. If all else fails just call it "Mini".

I've seen mini's called everything you mentioned and others too. It's just a matter of what fits your area.

Let us know the final decision!

When we did have mini pumpers around here, we considered them 'quick attack' or tactical response vehicles. Hence, they were desiginated 'Tac' units. They would respond, "Tac 14 responding" or "Tac 52 on location", for example. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Around here we call these units Rapid Invervention Units or Rapid Attacks, Thus Call signs are usually Rapid 1, Rapid 2. ect.

MembersZone Subscriber

We call ours a Squad as it handles EMS incidents (ALS equipped), is a quick attack unit (Class "A" Foam) and does basic vehicle extrication (Jaws equipped). Here is ours:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Talking

Station 2, go into some detail and tell me about your mini-pumper. it looks Sharp!
    Thanks,

MembersZone Subscriber

Our mini-pumper (Squad 2) is a 2000 Ford/E-One. It is mounted on a Ford F-550 4X4 chassis with power stroke diesel engine, automatic transmission, aluminum rescue body, side mount pump panel for the single stage Waterous 400 GPM pump (Driven by its own Volkswagon diesel engine) and 300 gallon poly booster tank with 2 integral foam cells for 20 gallons each of Class "A" & "B" foam.

Attack Lines: 2-200' 1-3/4" crosslays and 1-200' 2" hand line off the rear.

Hose Bed: 500' of 5" LDH and 1 backboard with webbing.

Exterior Mounted: 1-6' pike pole, 1-8' pike pole, 1 closet hook, 1-14' extention ladder and reciever winch for use in the front or rear.

Officer Side #1: 1 SCBA with SL-90 flashlight & Officers PPE

Officer Side #2: 1 Large flashlight,1 medium spreader, 1 medium cutter, 1 medium ram and 1 small ram (All Holmatro) and 1 flathead axe and 1 halligan tool.

Officer Side #3: 1 container Class "A" Foam and 1 container AFFF, container of dry absorbant, flares, 1 pressurized water can, 1 dry chemical extinguisher and short section of 5" LDH for close hydrants.

Rear Compartment: Holmatro power plant on slide out tray along with 2 hydraulic reels and 2 rocker panel ram braces.

Chauffeur Side #3: EMS equipment, 12 lead monitor, head blocks, 4 step cribs, 10 pieces block cribbing, 8 wedges, etc.

Chauffeur Side #2: 1 Large flashlight, lock out kit, pickhead axe, tool box, bolt cutters.

Chauffeur Side #1: 1 SCBA with SL-90 flashlight & Chauffeurs PPE.

I may have left some stuff off as the above list was from what I could remember. Hope that helps.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ours is simply "MP"

If it responds only to brush fires, it's a FORESTRY.
    If it responds to EMS, Structure Fires, MVAs, or anything else, it's a SERVICE.

Of course, "SERVICE" is a catch all in our area meaning it didn't meet any other definitions, so it could be a mini-pumper, a Suburban, or a panel van.

We call ours "Attack". They are outfitted for fighting brush and range fires (drip torches, forestry line, etc.). They are not used for other emergencies.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Forum Member

in our area this would be considered a mini pumper most departments still have them but they dont see much use. Our neighboring department is running a new mini for ALS ops during the day with a 2 man crew.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Our neighboring department is running a new mini for ALS ops during the day with a 2 man crew.
    Here's a picture of it. We refer to it as Medic 806 (even though it says "unit")

Last edited by NFD159; 11-02-2003 at 09:50 PM.

Thread Information