Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Post Tax Credit For Fire Fighters

Has anyone heard anything else about the possible 1500 dollar tax credit for fire fighters? I heard they tried to do the same thing about 2 years ago and it didn't pass.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

This link shows the introduced bill in the assembly now.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../IN1381.1.html

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

I'm no tax expert, but keep in mind that anything that you spend money on that you use exclusivly for your job as a fire fighter is tax deductable if you itamize your tax's.

I think that it would be cool if there was another tax credit on top of that, but I would say if that happend then there would need to be one for the military and there would need to be one for the PD.

There has been a tax credit for the military here in indiana for several years now. I don't know about police.

Airborne,
    The bill is for volunteers, as we cannot claim fire department related expenses as part of our job. The paid guys can claim their expenses now as it is. We cannot.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

1835 Wayne,

You can claim these expenses on your taxes but if you are like me
    then you just take the standard deduction on the short form,
    because you don't have enough things to deduct remember just because you don't get paid doesn't mean that your not an employee.

Everyone else,

There is only one drawback to this plan and it could bite us in the butt. It is that if your on a volunteer department like me then you know as well as I do that there are guys on these departments that just like to have the bluelight on their pickup and don't really contribute anything to the department. Our department is not so bad but we do have these types of individuals on our department too. We have tried to implement different ways to deal with this, like having to make so many meetings, runs, required on-station man hours and so on, the problem is if a guys work schedule doesn't correspond with meetings or if they are at work when we have runs than you can't very well punish these people. The on-station man hours have even been bucked by some of the "good" firefighters because this is a volunteer organization. There seems to be no good answer especialy on a financialy poorer department. Thanks and stay safe

Thread Information