Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Default An idea I had, similar to Monster Garage, please read and give advice...

I have started saving up recently to buy a 1940-something Dodge pumper. The pump has been removed and it needs some body work (rust removal, paint). Here's what my "brilliant idea" was...

The way I figure, it looks like it uses your average truck chassis. What I am planning on doing is fix it back up and use it as a POV. I am going to fill in the hole where the pump came out with sheetmetal, and other than that, I will make it look like an engine from that era, it will just be a POV. Does anyone think this could possibly be classified as an emergency vehicle, even though it has been out of service for God knows how long? I have seen old ambulances converted into vehicles for window businesses, I was just wondering if an old engine could be turned into a POV. It's not like I'm going to use it to fight fire or anything, just turn it into something different than the same old cars you see every day. Opinions anyone?

If I do partake on this project, I will post pics when I am done.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Not sure, but if it sold by the agency that used it,
    I don't see how it could be classified as an Emergency vehicle.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

My Opinion (and you know what they say about opinions )

The clasification of "Emergency Vehicle" is "bestowed" on a vehicle through it's owner (I.E. a FD, PD, Rescue Squad, etc.) not based on what the vehicle is or was (I mean a Police Bicycle is an Emergency Vehicle. A Golf Cart response unit is an emergency vehicle, etc.)

I think that when you are finished, you'll simply have a vintage truck that looks a little different from the rest.

This is an idea I have had for a while myself except I want to fully restore it - pump and all. Be sure to keep us all updated as you proceed and speaking as someone who's worked with restoring vintage auto's before - wish you the best of luck on the parts hunt. Sometimes tracking down parts can be the most fun part of the project (that and swapping stories with other restorers).
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I hope you live on a money tree plantation...because you are going to need it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Anytime I see a username that includes "jr" on a post that involves Monster Garage, I get nervous.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out this web site: http://www.spaamfaa.org/ They are a national group promoting restoring and preserving antique fire apparatus.

There may also be a local group for your area.

I am not a member, just passing this info on.

Forum Member

It looks very similar to the one here...
    http://www.spaamfaa.org/42dodge.JPG

Thanks for the link!
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 01-13-2003 at 01:40 PM.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Please tell me you won't be responding in it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a truck that could turn out to be a real nice one. It will never be an emergency vehicle untill it is certified with the state. Also make sure it can pass inspection.

Forum Member

Please tell me you won't be responding in it.
    Negative. I am going to leave the little rotator light and siren with the light in it on there though, just not going to use them.

It will never be an emergency vehicle untill it is certified with the state.
    That's okay, I don't want it to be an emergency vehicle, I just want something different to drive while showing my love for the service at the same time.

Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

Check with the state law because some states say that you can't display a light even if it is not on without a permet. Unless this is strictly a show peace that will not be driven but to shows and stuff.

Thread Information