81-year-old says he has no plans to retire when his 17th three-year
    term ends in December 2004.
    Yesterday, Greensburg Mayor Karl Eisaman honored Hutchinson on
    his anniversary.
    Hutchinson says he joined the Greensburg Fire Department in 1939
    because he wanted to follow in his father and grandfather's
    footsteps.
    His service to the department was interrupted just once -- when
    he served in the Marine Corps during World War Two.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

First...congrats to John! Second...has the department progressed under his leadership for 50 years....or has it stagnated? Any input from the area would be interesting.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

That is an incredible feat! The closest thing to that length of service that I have heard was an Air Force General (about 10yrs ago) who had received his 4th Clasp to his Canadian Forces Decoration. Essentially that means he completed over 40yrs of dedicated service.

He was featured in the Sentinel Magazine (used to be a CF publication) and the story read that he had joined the Air Force as a pilot prior to WWII, completed 25 yrs as a Regular and then the rest was as a Reservist in the Ottawa area.

NJ, it will be interesting to hear back from anyone in the area regarding your question. Also, imagine the changes that this man has seen throughout the fire service during his time. Certainly would give new meaning to "I remember this one time...."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Now just a danged minute!

I'm a 50 year old who celebrated 22 years on the fire department. In dog years, that would be 157 years of service! And I never heard a peep out of any of you.
    "Stagnated"? We should be sending him to the Florida Panhandle. Sounds like they could use the help.
    Congratulations, chief. I salute you.
    TC & SS.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default Congrats

ok first of all congrats to hutch!! second of all i may only be 15 but i know hutch personally and he has been training me to become a good FF. My dad was and is trained by Hutch. Hutch has made so many sacrafices for the GFD. He was there when i was born in the field. As the articles says he formed the Dive Team and the Bloodhound team which I run on both. He has helped the county Haz-mat team be formed and get to a great company. He has changed the city of Greensburg in many many different ways. He has never done anything bad for the city. He is a great guy off and on the job. He was there when the first Hurst tool was used in Westmoreland County. He was around in some of the most deadliest disaters in Western PA. He was at the great Flood of Johnstown PA. He has done so many things to the fire Departments of Western PA and for the fire department of the USA. His bloodhound team was up in New York for 9/11. He has seen everything there is to see. We should all salute him and everybody should know about the job he has done for the City of Greensburg and the County of Westmoreland.
    CONGRATS Hutch youve earned it
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

MembersZone Subscriber

rob,

if your really on the bloodhound team,
    then you would know it was not in new york...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 81 yoa chief

Rob, A group from the City made it to New Jersey on the first day. Other firemen from the county and the city did go and put work in the following weeks both in New york and in Shanksville. The dogs(bloodhounds) did not go and would have been no use there.

Rob we don't have 15 yoa on the dive team or the bow wow team.

Hutch no doubt has been helpful to our city and the fire service, And to answer about progressing. For the most part we do but after 50 years your pretty set in your ways. If we need it we get it, and if you can show need for it we get it.
    " Be safe brothers, WE ALL GO HOME"

Forum Member

Ouch, sounds like they got ya Rob!!

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Congrats

Originally posted by RobbyJR307
    He was there when i was born in the field.
    Heck Robby...if he's also an OB/GYN...that is really amazing.

Why didn't your mom go to the hospital?

Seriously, just to survive THAT long in the position, shows the respect that people must have for him. 'Nuff said!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

thought you brothers that are interested in this
    story may want to read the article
    from the news in Greensburg, PA

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_112648.html

Hutch honored for service

By The Tribune-Review
    Tuesday, January 14, 2003

When John Edward Hutchinson joined Greensburg's fire department 63 years ago, he was following in the footsteps of his father, grandfather and uncle. When he leaves the position of chief someday, it's hard to imagine anyone following in his footsteps.

Mayor Karl E. Eisaman surprised Hutchinson Monday night by presenting him with a mini-grandfather's clock as the city recognized his 50 years of service as chief of the Greensburg Fire Department. In addition to his leadership of the fire department, Eisaman credited him "for being a leader and organizer for numerous community projects locally and countywide."

For a moment, Hutchinson was at a loss for words. He said he would not have attended the ceremony had he known in advance that he was being honored.

"I got suckered into this," said Hutchinson, who attended the meeting to present the fire department's heroism award to Douglas McAfee, a Latrobe firefighter credited with quick action Dec. 30 in saving the life of fire victim Harold Mulheren of Latrobe.

Hutchinson, 81, joined Hose Co. No. 3 in November 1939. His years of service in the fire department were interrupted only by his service to his country. Shortly after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and plunged the United States into war, Hutchinson joined the Marine Corps.

Hutchinson was one of four candidates seeking to succeed Joseph Rush as chief of the department in December 1952. When he took command of the department in January 1953, he said he never gave it a thought as to how long he might be its leader.

He has been elected fire chief for 17 consecutive terms, a record that would be the envy of any politician. He remains as active as ever and has no plans to retire when his three-year term ends in December 2004.

"Unless they throw my rear out, I'll be here," said Hutchinson, who received the first Pennsylvania Fireman of the Year Award in 1964.

"You can do a lot of good things. It's a privilege to serve," he said.

During his tenure as chief, Hutchinson said there have been so many highlights that it would hard to list all of them. The fire department formed a bloodhound team and a scuba diving team, had the first vacuum truck, one of the first Hurst tools and one of the first lighting systems for fires.

"You have to think ahead," Hutchinson said.

The deadliest fire while he was chief occurred in October 1961 when storeowner Alex Cohen and four of his employees were killed in a fire at the La Rose Shop on South Main Street.

Two men were killed in January 1972 when fire struck the Penn Albert Hotel on Harrison Avenue. Hutchinson said they took an elevator to alert residents on the upper floors of the fire, but became trapped when the elevator opened to flames on the second floor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like you need some more training Robby. I've read some of your other posts. Also, it's a small world man. You can't tell little white lies in here without expecting to be called out by somebody who knows you.

As for the 50 yr chief, I say thanks for your service, step aside, enjoy your retirement. But that's my opinion.

Good Day!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

the man looks great and I was glad to read about him and was going to post the link from the home page but see it is already here ! Way to go !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information