MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation PNW lack of rain and snow

Well looks like we are going to have another dry summer if we keep going in our current direction. Is any body else getting that feeling here in the Great PNW?
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

Every day brings us new and exciting challenges. It is up to us to either embrace them or let them destroy us.

Forum Member

Yep-

I was at Timberline Lodge on December 6th. We had to walk about 1/2 mile up the mountain to find a patch of snow for the kids to play in.

I know there is plenty of snow now, but it ain't enough.

My conflagration bag will be packed at the end of May.

-spud--

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Bags are packed

Yep I hear ya. Mine is always ready. Maybe we will bump into each other. Were you on either the Squire fire or the Biscuit fire?
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

Every day brings us new and exciting challenges. It is up to us to either embrace them or let them destroy us.

Forum Member

Nope. Went to The Dalles this year and Ukiah last year. I was ready, though

--spud--

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

When on the fires, do you monitor the weather? Like temp, RH and so on? and if you do, what do you use? The belt weather kit or ???
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

Forum Member

I think it is "bell" weather kit, and yes, our Task Force Leader does monitor the weather.

However, on the conflagrations I have been on, either ODF or the Feds have a meteorologist at the base camp to monitor weather.

--spud--

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Yes either the feds or ODF does usually have a meteroligist on staff but they don't have weather at "your" location. It is actually called a belt weather kit. Having worked for the Forest Circus in the past I learned how to use one and instruct others on how to use it as well. On both the Squire Peak and Biscuit fires I had my crew taking readings every hour or half hour depending on conditions. I just purchased a personal weather station called a Kestrel 3000. Going to see how it does. It measures wind speed, RH, temp, heat stress, dew point and can give trends. I should have it in about a week or so. I am going to start using it as soon as I get it so I can figure it out totally. If you are interested in it, let me know and I will fill you in on how it is doing.

Also do you care if I add you to my buddy list? I do not mind if you add me.
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

Forum Member

You sure can add me, but- I have no idea what that means

--spud--

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

It just tells me if you are online in Firehouse.com when I am. That is all really.

I just went and looked at NOAA's website. If their forcast is right, Eastern Oregon is a TNT stick waiting for match this summer. Saw on the news last night that we are only at 53% snow pack and not even close to our rainfall. Not looking good. Last year we were at 112% of snowpack and below rainfall. The snowpack kept the reservoirs mostly full. Unless we really get a major snow fall we are going to be short on water in all directions.
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy yikes

Yea, I am a little concerned about what this summer will bring, not only out in the wilderness (so to speak) but also here in the urban interface environments! I think it's going to be getting pretty ugly before long. We've already run a number of small grass/field fires, and we're in the heart of the Willamette Valley! I'll see you guys in the chow line at conflagration!

Stay Safe,
    Cliff

Oh, and I was down at the Biscuit with Marion County task force. We worked night crew structure protection/triage and spotfire watch for the backburns. This was all in the Illinois Valley. Where were you at?
    Last edited by mcleoud151; 03-01-2003 at 05:50 PM.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Biscuit Fire

I was on the east side also. We were one of the first task forces there. Got there when the fire was at 18K and left at 68+K. Was there for 5 days. I was an engine boss on the Benton Task force. We did triage in Selma and at one point did triage clear down to Cave Junction. I think I remember when the Marion task force got there. Until you guys showed up we were on standby in camp at night if any thing happened. It was nice to get some sleep at night knowing that we wouldn't have to get woke up. Thanks to y'all. We do thank you.

Well maybe we will see each other this summer. Have a good week.
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

Thread Information