MembersZone Subscriber

Question Attendance policies

Just trying to get a feel about other dept's rules and regs on attendance to training nights, meetings, emergency calls, etc. Does your dept hold your fire fighters to a certain percentage to keep them on the roster? Thanks in advance for answers.

We have a requirement that every active member attend 50% of meetings and training nights, of which we have one of each every month. Also have a requirement that every active runs 5% of the calls (or about 50 calls/year), which isn't hard for most people to get.

Forum Member

In our vol. dept. each member serves a 2 year probation period when he/she first joins. During this 2 year probation, the member is required to make 40% of fire calls and 50% other duties. After the probation period members are required to make 10% of fire calls. I don't recall if there is a minimum on other duties after the probation period.
    In order to vote at the yearly elections, a member must have made 50% of the monthly meetings. In order to hold an elected line position, the member must have 25% attendance at fire calls. We run almost 1000 calls a year.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

1) 25% of fire calls
    2) 50% of drills
    3) 50% of meetings
    4) At least half of Fund Raising and at least half of Clean Ups.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

IACOJ Agitator

Used to be 25% of calls and 25% of drills. Back in the early/mid 90's we changed it because many of the calls were coming in when people were at work. Realizing that you cannot predict when a call will happen but you know when the drills are, they changed it to you have to make 50% of drills each quarter. Our monthly meeting counts towards the drill totals. We no longer have to make a certain percentage of calls.

As far as fund raisers, those are mandatory.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

We dont really enforce the union contract when it comes to this but the rules say that you need to make 75 % of drills (3 out of 4)for the month and both am and pm drills are offered, and we encourage our poeople (but it is not a rule) to make 30 % of all calls out of an approximate 600 annually. We also dont have an "inactive list" you either do or you dont and if you are a new person on probation you will at some point be talked to about your lack of attendance,and out of 35 members we have about 7% dead wood.
    Last edited by Weruj1; 01-15-2003 at 02:25 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We have to be at 50% trainings a year. We have fire-related trainings on Tuesday nights and Saturdays. Driver training you are required to be at 50% and same with rescue training (jaws).

Only 3 of our trainings (that count towards your 50%) can be non-department, but we still have most members that come to at least 75% of all the trainings, not counting non-department.

.mz
    Last edited by HPFD25; 01-17-2003 at 02:28 AM.

Forum Member

We require at least 50% attendance at scheduled drills per quarter. You can make up with extra training, as long as your total # of drills is 50% of the total regularly scheduled.If you fall short for one quarter, you are given a warning. If you fall short for 2 quarters, you are placed on the inactive list until you make up the missed training.
    Those who also participate on the EMS team must also make 50% of the EMS drills.
    As far as business meetings, after attending 3 consecutive meetings you are granted voting priveleges. If you miss 3 consecutive meetings, your voting priveleges are revoked until you again attend 3 consecutive. If you cannot attend, such as for work or family obligations, you can be excused by a business officer if you contact ahead of time.
    Drills cannot be excused- you must actually attend the minimum number.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

MembersZone Subscriber

The only written rule on attendance my department has is you must attend all drills (3 per month), meetings (1 per month) and mandatory events (fund raisers and work details) or provide a written excuse.

On our monthly run reports, members who make less than 20% of the calls get their name highlighted. How this number came about I'm not really sure. There is no written rule on it that I can find.

Since I have been on the department, only one person has been suspended for attendance (he was at or near zero attendance for quite a few months.)
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Attendance policies are fine, but.....

Our department has no requirement for the number of calls you make or don't make, but we do have a policy on meetings/training, but only with regards to consecutive absences. Each firefighter is reviewed on a case by case. Some work on meeting nights, so they are automatically excused. Won't go into detail, but we have removed some members for unacceptable attendance-related issues.
    I will say this: if you are going to have attendance requirements for meetings and training, make the meetings and training worth attending. If you're going to sit around and exchange town gossip or just pop in a video, you may see fewer members attending. Review your training on a yearly basis; get feedback from your members and if you need to punch it up, then punch it up.
    There's always something to do. Involve EVERYONE.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

If you're going to sit around and exchange town gossip or just pop in a video, you may see fewer members attending. Review your training on a yearly basis; get feedback from your members and if you need to punch it up, then punch it up.
    We do this every other year (the review/feedback part) and one year, we actually were requested to just sit and talk and watch more videos! Seems the guys were getting tired of being pushed too hard. Oh well, they got over it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thumbs down Low standards here

Our department is a too lax. In the area of training, we have one training session a month and everyone has to make two a year, which is NOT enough training mininmum. Last year I was given the task of doing most of the training for our dept. and I am working on changing that to at least 50% attendance and adding more training sessions. As far as for runs, there is no set rule.

_____
    Gone, But Not Forgotten - Our Fallen

Forum Member

when you first get on our dept. your on probation for a year and are encouraged to attend all meeting and trainings and you have to try to make all the runs you can make. id have to get back to you about how many a year, we really dont have to worry cause there is only like 3 out of 60 firefighters that dont go alot.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Rescuegunr509
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have about the same as most, 50% of trainings and 25% of calls in order to stay a active member of the fire station. These all can be waived if you have prior appointments, ie work, school, family time.
    If you plan to take some time off, all our station askes is you contact you duty Lt. and let him know.
    Hope this helps

Lt. Chuck Palocy
    Florosa Fire Department
    www.florosafire.com

75% of drills @ 2 a month for year
    75% of business meets @ 1 a month
    35% of all fire & rescue @ 270 calls last year
    no % on medicals @ about 450 calls last year(you get paid more per call the more calls you make

Forum Member

I've got to go with Chief reason on this one. No attendance requirements, there is a place for everyone who wants to help.We have people who just show up for fund raisers, you never see them any other time of the year.Some just want to do EMS,and they train in that area. Some are firefighers and some are on scene support personell and that's their thing. If you don't want to go to monthly meetings, fine,just don't crab about how the money is spent or the decisions made in those meetings.
    The officers periodically review and if we haven't seen someone for a while, we'll contact them and ask " what's up?".Low key approach and I think folks appreciate that.

Forum Member

One Meeting a month. One Drill Session a month. Requirements had been to make six of each. Unofficial requirement now to make all the drills possible to help with the ISO ratings.
    Calls - make as many as you can, but SOP's call for first out of 9 in city, 8 in country runs. More if needed to respond once I.C. is set up. Reason, not to drain city resources if fire occurs in city while on country run, and visa-versa.

The Doc is out now

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing for calls, cleanup, training, or meetings. But we only get paid at the end of the year for the amount of meetings we attend. My opinion is that the rules and regulations need to be more strict. There are a few here that haven't been on a call or to a meeting in over a year but there gear is still hanging on the wall.

Thread Information