Thread: ofm curriculum

MembersZone Subscriber

Question ofm curriculum

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Ontario Fire Marshal's curriculum(negative or positive)

Talking Hey Scoop

Hi Scoop
    I'am with Mississauga Fire & we just finished our curriculum and got our certificates,Its not a bad program I think, we used it as the base for our recruit training program,it seems to cover alot of things very well.They say that in the future that you will need this program to even apply to the fire service ie;the Ambulance service any way if you have any other questions about it feel free to email me at firedog105@sympatico.ca

Take care
    Stay Safe
    firedog105
    local 1212

Forum Member

Default ofm curriculum and then some

Why is it Ontario is the only Province in Canada (that I know of)that does NOT certify firefighters to NFPA 1001? The curriculum is just a money making grab by the PSSB and the Ont Fire Chiefs Assoc.(& the Fire College) Just like the Firefighter Pre-Employment Programs at the community collages. If you have the $$ ($10,000.00+-) they will take it, even if you are 4'9" and wear coke bottle bottoms for glasses. I hear it's known as the "Education Mafia". What do you Ont FF's think about the Mr & Mrs Fire Marshall show? If that's not a conflict of interest I don't know what is!!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is not NFPA 1001 the guide to minimum standards for Fire Fighters primarily in Structural Fires?

Forum Member

Correct, in all Provinces but Ontario, firefighters are certified to NFPA Firefighter I and II. Even Quebec is in the process of changing their program over to the NFPA standards. I have heard many people claim that the OFM curriculum meets the intent of NFPA but, does the certificate say you are trained to NFPA 1001?

Thread Information