Thread: College

Question College

I am looking to get into firefighting and becoming and EMT of as a career. I am also looking to go to a good 4 year college and get a bachelors degree in something like emergecy management or some other related field. At college i would like to recive my Paramedic and Pro firefighters certification. Are these things i can accomplish all at one college and in four year or will i have to go somewhere else to get my Pro firefighter and/or Paramedic? I am looking to go about anywhere, but somewhere in/or bordering Ohio would be great. Thanks for the help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Next year I'm going to Eastern Kentucky University to major in Fire Protection Adminstration. When I visited the campus I heard someone mention a paramedic program. Your best bet would be to call them(I think its 859-622-1009) and tell them what you are wanting to set up. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

And there's UMD in College Park with several Firehouses that let you live there......Also the University of New Haven in CT (newhaven.edu is their site)....Wherever you go, go for the Fire Protection Engineering degree.....

I know at UNH you can earn your EMT certification instead of taking biology. I also earned my national FF-1 while going to UNH, I did it on my own time, and it wasn't affiliated with the university.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to be going to college and paramedic school at the same time, that's two big commitments.

Don't forget the scholarships out there -- IAAI (firearson.com), IAFC Foundation etc....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cincinnati State

Cincinnati State - a 2 year college offers associate degree programs which can include paramedic and FF2 certifications. They also teach the BERT (Basic Emergency Rescue Technician) course. Their web site is: www.cinstate.cc.oh.us. The University of Cincinnati offers 2 yr (associate) and 4 year (batchelors) fire science degrees and a 2 yr associate degree in EMS. The EMS degree includes both EMT-Basic and paramedic. UC is pretty liberal about accepting transfer credits. Since you're an Ohioan, you'd qualify for in-state tuition.

Also, Hocking College in Hocking (near Athens) and Sinclair College (Dayton) offer degrees/courses/programs in fire & EMS.

Hope this helps.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Default thanks

Wow,that was much more information than i expected to get. The four year program at cinci sounds good and it is still in ohio. Thanks again for the info, this will help out alot in the next year or so of college choices i have to make. thanks again.

University of MD offers Fire Protection Engineering, and University College(at the same site) offers Fire Science. Also by joining one of the local Volunteer FD's(like mine) you can get free room and board as well as paid fire and EMS training in exchange for running emergency calls.
    THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

MembersZone Subscriber

For anyone looking for a college there are many schools that may provide a degree in fire science, or administration, however there are realy only 2 schools that have been recognized at elite providers of quality fire related education, Oklahoma State University, and The University of Maryland. OSU and UMD both have exceptional programs. There are other schools out there such as Kentucky and Omaha, and many more, however the name behind your degree and the quality of education recieved can be valuable assets.
    there is a votech for EMT training in stillwater Ok and there are many vol departments eager to allow students to join. Plus the tuition at OSU is much cheaper than UMD.

dunnp@okstate.edu

This is not to put down any schools, or to imply that their education is below par, I am only stating that the two most recognized schools should be looked at first.

Thread Information