Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Full-Time vs. POC

Hey guys. I've got a little dilemma. I've been planning on getting on board with a POC station, and keeping my job as a mechanic as well. But... the more I think about it, and the more I learn, I'd really like to do this full-time. I just started my First Responder course this past week, and I'm planning on continueing on the get my EMT-B whether I'm on with a department by then or not.

I guess my question is, should I go ahead and apply at FT stations as well, or just apply at POC stations and keep my job as a mechanic until I go through all the training. Any thoughts, advice, etc., would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Get a full time job as a firefighter, and do the mechanic gig on your days off. Lots of guys have part time jobs on their days off.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Well, the thing is, I don't want to be a mechanic anymore, but I still need to be able to support my family. That's the only reason I'm considering keeping the mechanic thing going.

Will a full-time station take a "newbie" that's just starting training?

If you can hook up with a Volunteer, POC or combo department, you have a great chance to get your Firefighter II training and some experience. I would suggest you look into going to EMT school. Its a big commitment, but it makes you more attractive to prospective employers. The Departments in Illinois vary greatly on what type of experience and or certifications that you need to test with them. Some places require Paramedic, FFII, EMT, some of the above or none of the above. Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I don't know about the really big depts., but the smaller full time ones in So. IL will put you through their training after they hire you. I've seen some places that pay $40,000+ for beginners. I've also seen a lot more for somebody with FFII and EMT or Paramedic. Seems like everybody wants at least EMTs. I've got a 20 year old boy that is looking hard for a full time gig, but he's got to be 21 before he can even test in most depts. He'll make it one day and he'll be a good one. He's passed his FFII and is in EMT classes now. He doesn't like the EMT deal, but he knows he needs to have it to get a full time job.
    Go for the full time and mechanic on your days off if you have to. If I was younger, I wouldn't even hesitate to go full time. I love the fire service, even as a POC guy.

Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

Thanks for all the responses. I'm 4-classes into my First Responder course, and so far, I'm liking every aspect of it. I'm enjoying what I'm learning, and looking forward to learning more. I'm getting a little bummed about not having a job on a department yet... but hopefully that will come soon. Seems like I can't even find a station that will take me for free right now.

As for the EMT-B course... it's next on the list. I have to get the First Responder course done first. I was really hoping to be on with a department by the time I start my EMT-B, but it's not looking too promising. I'm going to have to figure out a way to pay for the class myself, of get a grant or something. But... one way or another, I'm going to do it.

What happens when I'm ready to take the Firefighter II class, and I'm not on with a department yet? Will I not be able to take the class? Would a department "sponser" me? Thanks again guys!

The State Of Illinois requires that to take the Firefighter II exam you must be a member of a fire department that is recognized by the State Fire Marshall's Office. I'm not sure, but I don't believe that a fire department can "sponsor" you. You must be an active member of that department.

Thread Information