Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tattoos

Question tattoos

I am going to school starting in august for fire and rescue science...But i was wonder if any fire dept. has any rules against visable tattoos...for example on arms and legs...i know its a crazy question but i dont want to do anything to stop me from becoming a firefighter..thank you for your time.

At my department, we have the grandma rule, which means don't have or show anything that a grandma would disapprove of. I have a large colorful tatoo on my bicep, but as long as my uniform shirt covers it up, there is no problems. If my uniform will not cover it up, I will have to make sure to wear a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt to cover it while on duty

MembersZone Subscriber gordoffemt's Avatar

Sounds to me that by asking this question, you have also answered it. If you think that a visible tattoo may keep you from getting a fire dept. job, don't get one. Personally, I have 2. One is fire related, both are out of sight if I want them to be.

Get your training, get a job, find out the rules regarding tattoos, and go from there.

In the meantime, check out http://www.strikethebox.com . There are some great firefighter's tattoos there. Mine is in the bulldog section. Look for the one from Doug in Greendale, IN.

Good luck with your schooling!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

It's never been a problem for me. I have quite a few of them, as do many of the guys I work with.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

There is no rule against tattoos in either of the departments I volunteer with. Only one of my tattoos is visible with short sleeves...it is also the considered the most offensive to a portion of society. So most of the time, I try to wear long sleeve uniform shirts.

Oh yea, the tat is of a Confederate soldier holding the confederate naval jack.....or as most people say, the rebel flag.

I covered my naked woman with a half sleeve green dragon. I like it, don't know if anyone else does or not. Nobody says anything about it. The dragon is easier to explain than the bare-breasted rocker girl holding a pistol.

You know what they say... "if it's not tattooed, it's not worth a s&*#!
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Default tattoos

Our rule is as long as it is not offensive in nature they can
    be visible(but the Chief still doesn't like it but he can't change the rule without a note from god)ie: naked women,drugs, racially motivated, things that would Pi** off politically correct people.
    I have a maltese cross with St Florian in the middle on my left forearm and nothing is said. And I wear short sleeves in the summer.

JV

Default just ask

I belong to a department that has NO regulations on tattoos. Myself i have full sleeves, hands, and neck tattooed and no one says a word. All you have to do is call and ask anyone in whatever department you want to apply to.

I'm career as well as volunteer with full sleeves. No one seems to care. However when I went for my interviews I wore long sleeves

Stay Well, Stay Safe
    Matt

Most depts probably won't have an issue as long as the visible ones aren't too offensive too people. If You got f**k you tattooed on your hand then they may have a problem with that
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I've noticed in California that they do not like visible tattoo's ie visible with short sleves on, I would hold off on getting any work on your arm until you get hired and check the dept. policy. On a further note I am in the Marines and they just banned tattoo's that are visible in pt gear (t-shirts and shorts) punishable by up to 2 years in the brig.

Thread Information