Permanently Removed

Default Strang or odd Calls

What are some of the strangest, or weirdest calls you've been on?

HNFC FF/President

we got a call, i believe it was sometime in August of 2002. We're called into a neighboring town for a dwelling. Report was that stovetop was on fire. So we're going in at emergency speed and are the first engine to arrive. one of my guys knocks on the door and a woman answers. She was asked if her stove was on fire, and she said no. So we're restoring the CO2 and Pressurized water extinguishers when all of a sudden the woman comes running out of her house screaming that her stove is on fire now.

Apparently the husband called it in to dispatch knowing that she would screw something up, he was right. We got a little laugh out of it. It was funny, he called it.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

We had one last feburary when a kerosene heater started a fire in the chicken coop it was in, The buildng was small and a complete loss when we arrived how ever the shelves that the nests sat on was metal and fried a number of the chickens, Need less to say we all ate good that night.

Permanently Removed

I must say, though it wasn't a call it was really funny, we had one night an older lady stop bye the fire house telling us she saw a ufo

Permanently Removed

lets see, oh yea, the time the lady reported seeing a large fire in the distance, all she could see was its large glow, we had the whole dept. looking aorund the own, following this glowing inferno. witch the dissapered as soon as the sun did!

Permanently Removed

I just got home from a 2 car acciedent, with 1 roll over. and everyone was chinese and couldn't speak ne english, a very comical call

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Talking

"Attention Rescue 1,Rescue 1 respond to a medical aide at the D****** Police station for women with her finger stuck in her box, thats Rescue 1 medical aide ,D****** Police station for women with her finger stuck in her box."

A women from a charity had gone to the police station to collect those counter boxes that you put change in. She had picked it up by the top hole and her finger got trapped. It sure did turn a few heads when it was dispatched.

we got dispatched to a house for a strong smell of gas in the dwelling. we arrive on scene and we get ready to enter and patrol tells us not to enter b/c this fire scene just turned into a crime scene, the smell was a dead body. they said he was dead for at least a month and they neighbors just started smelling it.

HNFC FF/President

thats a juicy one there Eone. was it a house or apartment? if it was a house, thats a far way for the smell to travel.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

haha, it was in a condo they were all connected. the windows were all boarded up and i heard the guy filed for bankruptcy a month before he died.and the smell was gross i mean the smell of death is bad but when the body has been rotting for a month its worse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our best has to be the old Sheep rescue. Some hillbilly called the fire station because one of his sheep was stuck in his wire fence. Some of the guys went down there, and actually cut the sheep out of the fence using bolt cutters and other tools. Just a comical side note, the sheep had a name, which was Loosy, spelled just like this.

This isnt really wierd, but it is unusual call we got tonight. I had an explorer meeting and right before I was gonna leave I got a call from a fellow explorer, and she said that there has been an accident and station 1 and 2 have been called out and we might not have a meeting (our advisors respond to those stations). anyway, it turned out that a man pulled out onto another local road and had a seizure in the process. so the guy hit the accelerator and went through a wooden fence, over the grass in one yard into a chain linked fence, hit a deck (part of the stairs) and into the basement of this home. The person I heard was fine, but a couple officers had to crawl into the basement to get him out. He walked away.

I am the fellow explorer that CGFDexplorere is talking about. our advisor is my brother in law he took us to the scene and asked us what we would do in this case.I think that CGFDexploere would agree with me that i was answering all the question hes asked (except a couple) right. And i'm only 14. Jenny call me tonight
    Carrie Hagen
    CGFD Explorer
    HealthEast Paramedic Explorer
    medicgirl532@yahoo.com
    fireboop3125@firehousemail.com
    carebear3125@hotmail.com

**FireFighting not recommeded for mere mortals **

Bump 'N Grind
    Firefighting
    Get your hose out,
    Put your rubbers on,
    And get 'em real wet!

Firefighters
    The Few...
    The Proud...
    The Insanely Brave...

I answered too, just under my breath (but i got them all right!)

Forum Member

this strange call, unfortunately took place in my house and i did not actually respond to it...

during christmas vacation, right after my brother got nintendo 64, he was psyched to play it all vacation. when we went up to vermont, he forgot it and told my dad to bring it when he came up in a few days. well my dad got it all together but of course forgot it also. on his way up, we got a call from our friends saying that there was a fire in the house.

what had happened was when he had gotten them together he put them on the stove and of course accidentily turned the stove on...

THANK GOODNESS we have a burglar/fire alarm that calls the alarm company cuz im sure the house woulda burnt down before anyone would have seen it and called the FD. the most damage that was done was telling my brother that his new system and games were set on fire

MembersZone Subscriber

This call wasn't ours, but a mutual aid company's. They get dispatched for an ice rescue assignment for two people whose raft had sunk in the water. The chief arrives and reduces the speed on everything, saying that everyone was out of the water. Once he confirms that both patients were going to refuse treatment, he called the rescue and had them proceed in to retrieve "something" from the water. It turns out that the people in the water had been a mother and her son. The son came home and saw a duck frozen in the pond behind his house. Mom got home and got right into a swimming pool raft in nylons and a skirt. The raft deflated and in they went. They waded out of the water but the duck was still in there. When the Chief got there the kid wouldn't stop crying until the Chief said they'd get the duck out, so the rescue went in service to free the frozen waterfowl.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

We had a parrot stuck in a tree on Thanksgiving. Some exotic real expensive one.. Kept yelling "RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Get me Down... Get Me Down". That's one bird saved on Thanksgiving. Heh.

Export V.F.D.

I remember a call I went on when I was a rookie way up north in Alaska. We got a call for an unconscious man about 30 miles in the middle of nowhere past the end of the paved road system. When we arrived, we found a man wearing only underwear with a papersack on his head. He wasn't passed out, but was very intoxicated. There was no houses or even civilization that far out so we all kind of wondered how he got there. I believe the police gave him a ride, but I don't think he ended up at home. He was darn lucky the bears didn't find him before we did.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Permanently Removed

one time, we went to a smkoe problem in a house's basement. wut had happened, was they got a new "fancy" pellet stove, that, they were told needed "no chimney", you can probly figure out what had happend!

Permanently Removed

we had a car vs tree call. when the wrecker showed up,m it broke down, causing us to call 2 more wreckers, 1 for the car, 1 for the other wrecker.

A neighboring department sunk it's ladder truck up to it's axles in the mud once. They parked on the lawn at a fire, but all the water running turned the lawn into mud. They have a strange truck that tilts back when they put the ladder up, so all the pressure was on the back wheels. It was quite ammusing to watch someone's lawn swallow up the truck . We had to call our firehouse and have the guys who were running comms call for a heavy wrecker to pull it out once the incident was over.

Thread Information