Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Grant

Question Fire Grant

I'm curious for those successful in the grant process if they would be willing to share they story and a copy of the steps used to succeed.

We applied for the grant in 2002 highlighting firefighter safety as one of our main objectives. We did not use a pro grant writer, however, followed the letter of the process as published by FEMA. We received notification during the 10th round that we would not receive funding this year - better luck next time!

Our department is facing a near 1/2 million budget cut do to a failed assessment fee by the voters. We are planning to apply again with the necessary budget revisions to match funding if approved in the 2003 pick list.

To provide our community the best service possible, we will need to succeed in this process...your assistance in the success of the application process will help our brothers continue to provide the best for our community.

I look forward to your responses!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Check the Federal FIRE Acts Grant forum for oodles of topics and advice. I also posted several successful and unsuccessful application narratives on my website at www.firegraphics.org/grants.htm

The best advice I can give is read as many apps as you can get your hands on and read the rules at least 10 times. There are no secrets on how the apps were graded, it was all in the rules. Write the narrative to fit the rules as written. Also find a copy of the Dec 2002 Fire Engineering magazine. There was an article with one of the peer review board members about what they were looking for and how they graded the apps. I haven't found a copy myself, but Fire Engineering should be putting it up on their web site within a few weeks. They just posted Nov 2002.

Good luck.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Brian; You're stealing my thunder now (Fire Engineering). It's a great article.

hesmdic; I'll send you a copy of our 2002 narrative if you give me your e-mail address. Send me a private e-mail. Our 2001 narrative is on Rodney Slaughter's website, www.dragonflynet.com . There are plenty of other narratives there as well as Rodney's spring schedule of classes. I highly recommend you take it. I took it 4-5 years ago and since have received over $130,000 in grants. That a 520,000% return on the cost of the class.

The FEMA workshops are great to attend also. They will tell you what they are looking for in the application but NOT how to write it. I attended last year's workshop so when you read my narrative you'll see how many times I used "RIT" , "built-in PASS devices" and "mutual aid" are used. That's what they said they wanted so that's what I gave them and they gave me the money.

As I've said in other posts, it's their game so you have to know their rules and play by them.

Godd luck.
    Last edited by dragonfyre; 01-27-2003 at 09:25 PM.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

FH Mag/.com Contributor

So I've heard it's great article. I still haven't been able to dig up a copy yet!! I've found 4 snipe and Jimmie Hoffa's boot, but not ^*%$*)^)#%@ magazine!!

Guess I'll just have to wait until it shows up on FireEngineering.com

Thread Information