Forum Member

Default Embarssing Things

I know this has been asked before, but I amgoing to ask it again.
    Because if you are like me your most embarassing moment has changed.

So, what is the most embarassing you have done either in training or on a call.

We were training and we decided we would do a little repelling out of the 2nd story. Well after about the 4th time down I did something wrong and came down real hard. All I remember is our inspector looking down at me laughing his arse off, and another guy bringing me my helmet because it bounced across the street. Only thing hurt was my pride and maybe my butt.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Forum Member

Not me..my Lieutenant....

AFA at a church. On arrival the church is evacuated.

No problem found...all occupants can return. He is standing in the main hall and as they walk in he says, loudly, "Does anyone object?"...then some 90 something year old lady says, loudly, "This is a funeral, not a wedding"

Needless to say he didn't have to open the door to leave, he just slid underneath.

Dave

Responded to a reported structure fire once, upon arrival there was a light smoke condition. My partner and I were sent to search the bedrooms. While walking around, I kept feeling taps on my helmet. I couldn't look directly overhead because my helmet kept hitting my airpack. When I would reach up, I would never find anything there. At one point I was so frustrated I even yelled at my buddy to "Knock it off! And do your job!" Looking at me with a weird face, he motioned to move to the next room. The knocking on my helmet miraculously halted. Only after we exited the house, did my partner have the heart to tell me. Since the ceilings were low, and I'm tall, I was in the way of the ceiling fan that was slowly spinning in the room!

-Steve

I remember getting so excited on my first fire that I pulled the crosslay from the wrong direction. That was pretty embarrassing. The Captain sure let me know about it!
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

well I think my most embarassing moment still has to be running up on the parking curb at the station coming to call, the parking lot was wet and slick. Ask this question again in another year I may have something better.
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking oops!

This happened to me just last night, we were out on a wreck with entrapment. A real mess, ended up 3 companys to get the driver extricated. After we finished up I was putting some equipment back into the back of our walk-in rescue. I climbed up in and dropped the equipment inside, then figured I'd just back down the steps. Well, I missed........ I missed the first step.... and I missed the second step..... I even missed the back bumper. I then proceeded to do what witnesses described as a back flop. I'm very glad I had my gear on because it did give me a little padding. I got a bump on my arm and the tupperware LT helmet went flying, but the worst part was I did it in front of the Chief, Assistant Chief, former Assistant, and about 3 firefighters. Not exactly my most shining moment! lol

God bless and stay safe.
    Randall E. Guntrum FF/E.M.T.
    Last edited by Gooch26; 02-02-2008 at 04:34 AM.
    If lights, sirens, and air horns do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.

Forum Member

any new entries ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default woooops

Well I guess about two years ago we had a fire in a 3 story multi-family house. That night it had to be about 25 degrees outside. I was operating inside doing overhall for about a half hour or so then went to go do some salvage, so I was probably in the house for almost an hour. Well I finally went outside with a few other firefighters. Well this house had a big wooden deck on the front and it had a thin covering of water which "apparently" turned to ice while I was inside. Needless to say I slipped and fell right on my back in front of about 10 guys. I had my pack off as well so I landed flat on my back. Thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Last year we had a new batch of rookies go through basic. One of them got halfway through his training, and then left to take a summer job up north. He returned that fall and started coming out again.

About a week after his return, we had a late night page to an alarm sounding at one of our Condo-hotels. He was third to the hall and so took the position of pulling and connecting the hydrant line.

As the truck rolls up to the building, I asked for a supply line off the hydrant and stand-by to boost the standpipe (normally indicates LDH to the truck). This rookie pulls the pre-connect line situated beside the LDH bed (our pre-connect is the same as a cross-lay, but off the rear), and drags it nozzle-and-all back to the hydrant. When he couldn't figure out why there was a nozzle on the hydrant line, he simply took it off and proceeded to try and couple the line to the hydrant. Upon realizing that he had a 1 3/4 inch line with male threads, he went so far as to grab a reducer and the F-up couplings to make it work. He eventually got it connected just as I ordered them to stand down.

As I exited the building after silencing the alarm, I see a commotion around the hydrant and the Captain signals for me to come over.

There it was, a perfect 1 3/4 inch pre-connected hydrant lay ( ). I proceeded to explain to him that although water forced through that connection might eventually reach the standpipe system inside the adjacent building, he had definitely taken the indirect route.

He is now known as Hose-Boy.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Talking

This guys, I assure you is true - and to this day it is still talked
    about!

18 Months ago whilst riding in charge of the aerial appliance from
    my station we (me and the driver) were returning from a fire call
    and taking a pleasant drive through the city centre of Liverpool.
    Thinking out aloud on the good looks of the many female shoppers catching my eye, I shared my commentary with the driver who happly
    agreed - not only the driver though...only the half the brigade. I had left the transmit button on the radio handset down, thus broadcasting my animal instinct like commentary to all and sundry!!!!
    This went unoticed by me for five minutes! The other lads who heard
    it were delighted, the girls in our control room were not!!! They
    soon calmed down though!

Andy

Forum Member

A couple weeks ago, as we were leaving a residence after an EMS call, I, out of habit, told the family to have a good day. But there was 1 problem............

We got called for a possible dead body. Their husband/father had died, and here I am, telling them to have a nice day......

Talking this is an easy one!

I remember making an apartment fire last year. We got on scene and a few units were really going (this being my first fire since coming back off my 9-11 military callup I was a little rusty and I wanted to do a great job) so we went in and got to work. We had been in there a while and I noticed my air was getting low, so myself and another FF backed out to change bottles. It had been pretty hot in there and my mask fogged pretty good when we got to the door. I remember stepping blindly out the door and BOOM!...fell right on my face (tripped over the backup line ) I got up and thought "Boy, hope noone saw that!". well, I pulled my mask off to see about a million firefighters, apparattus, PD and the news. Apparently a second alarm had been dropped by the DC while I was inside, so plenty of people witnessed my clumsiness. Oh well...somehow it didn't make the news (thank God).

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Well, I was assisting another explorer post with first aid at their county fair. A young girl came in complaining of ‘a sore spot where the sandal was rubbing.’ I swear, I couldn’t see anything. No blister, no redness, no blood, nothing. I had to ask several times where she wanted the band-aid. Each time her answer changed. By the time she left, she had several mini band-aids completely covering a portion of her foot.

Nothing too bad, but I did hear about it for awhile.

I learned that week a dum-dum sucker is the best medicine for just about anything.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

I was driving the pumper one night about two years ago to a car crash and glanced in the mirror just in time to see the end of the 5" hi-vol start coming off the bed. (It'd been bedded with the end facing forward, so the last length filled up with air and took off.)

I laid 700 feet of hose on the highway... and found out that a fully loaded pumper will stop from 120 kph in ~680 feet.

My passengers were the Chief and a Captain, and they re-decked the hose while I backed the pump up along the shoulder (what we call an 'inverse lay')...

--j.

MembersZone Subscriber

Was at my First Structure fire as a Probie....Got ordered to bring a pike pole to the side of the building this was in February few days after our big blizzard..So I go to step over a bush onto what looked like about 2-3 inches of snow....yea well those 2-3 inches turned into 1 1/2 ft snow pile on the front lawn...Stepped with my left foot....before I could stop my right foot from lifting up over the bush I lost my balance....Pike pole went one way...I went the other...bout 15-20 guys looked at me and started laughing.....I gave the guys the pike pole and went and hid under the truck for hte rest of the call
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

In the early 90's, I was working for a rural ambulance district. Near shift change, we get a call to the southern end of the district. A medic on his way in for the shift hears the call and responds direct to the scene, since he was close. This was a very rural district, it was a rare occassion to find an actual address on a home, let alone on the mail box.

As we get close, the medic tells us he is in the white two story and the patient is stable. When we arrive, we see the medic's, truck parked in the driveway of a white two story house, so we jump out grab our gear and head in. The house was dark, but it was still early. We walk around announcing EMS, but we can't find the medic. We call out over and over and work our way upstairs. At the top of the steps, we are met with a wide eyed child, maybe 5 or 6. He doesn't say a word, but points to a door at the end of the hall. In the early morning hours and the split second I had to think about it, I figured the family had sut the door, to keep him from getting in the way......That is, until I opened the door. The medic, meaning well had parked his truck in the neighbors drive so we could get the rig up the actual drive, which was about 50 yards down the road and blocked by a row of pine trees. The door I opened was the master bedroom, where mom and dad, were uh how do you say this...practicing marital relations. As this was happening, the medic was telling us to go past his truck to the next drive.

Needless to say, I turned very red, made some quick apologies and we made our way to the correct house. I was still red when we came out, and so were the neighbors, who had dressed and were standing outside the house with a family member of the patient. All three of us made another round of apologies as we passed each other.

A month or so later, we drove by the houses on area familiarization and noticed that both houses had their adresses on the house and their mailboxes!
    ftm-ptb
    leather forever
    gateway fools

Forum Member

On my first call EVER I pulled this nice move.

I got my start as a volunteer in '83 and had just been cleared to ride. My first stay over at the station and at about 0130hrs we get a call for an MVC. I run to the engine, pull on my bunkers, climb in the front seat and step fully on the air horn button! I dont mean tap it, but stepped on and continued to step on it. The driver looks over and starts screaming at me. Of course I cant hear him over the air horn. He starts pointing to the floor and only then to I notice the button under my boot.

What a way to start!

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont worry Dave I've been riding for a year now and I still do it all the time....I got big feet so I tend to move them around once in a while...that and when im getting packed up in the front cab I hit it all the time by accident..my brother who's the driver most of the times yells at me...KNOCK IT OFF....I go sorry haha....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Last year my crew (3 man crews) responded 3rd due to a structure fire. The house was about 200' off the road. The 1st due engine was down the lane and the 1st due truck was down the lane and the other two engines were staged on the road with a rescue & ambulance. As we arrived we were told to be packed up (duh! It's a house fire! ) and go down the lane to search. Now, usually I don't put my mask on until the very last second before my body goes inside an IDLH enviorment, but my Captain told me to mask up at the truck. So I did as he commanded. I walked down that 200' lane fogged up! I had no clue where my crew was. I was stumbling down the lane trying to see (did I mention I wear corrective lenses and if I pull the mask up I can't see well since the lenses are in the mask and glasses in my pocket?) and all of the sudden I hit something and knocked me on my *****! The ladder had its outriggers set and I ran into one. Someone helped me find my way back to my feet and around the outrigger and down the lane. I left my mask on so I wasn't so easily identifiable.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I somehow got my helmet crushed in between the turn table and the side wall next to it on our snorkle. Well the end result was an accordianed helmet. If I can find the pics I will put them up on the my website.

Forum Member

Two weeks ago during exercise, my chief stood behind the truck wearing his new flashy yellow helmet on.
    I walked up to him not wearing my helmet and I said : "Well, ain't you looking like a real firefighter"
    At that moment someone threw a hose from the roof of the truck and the end of it hit me on the head.
    so my chief replied : "ain't you looking like something hit you on the head".
    I needed four stiches and the bump ain't gone yet.
    *The BOSS rules*

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Man, what a trip...............

Y'all have come up with some goodies. Zippo, You ever seen anything on the fireground fall UP? Among many embarassing moments are the time I hit a bump in the road while returning, the supply line (3", split bed, 1800 ft.) came off. As I backed into the bay, my wife (who had opened the door and watched me back in) asked "Where's all the supply line??" And on another day, we were testing Smoke Detectors in an Apartment Building, knocked on a door, and a child of about 8 - 10 years old opened the door. I explained who we were and why we were there. The child acted older than he looked and pointed out the detector, saying, OK here it is. My partner waved the smoke can under the detector setting it off. As I stepped up on a short stepladder to reset it, the bathroom door flew open and a nude 275lb woman rushed out. Seems she was in the shower and......... There is a story about a Washington D.C. area FD that was doing an extracation demonstration a a local mall and cut up the wrong car. Seems a shopper had a beat up old clunker and parked it in the area where the demo would be held later, the FD arrived and saw a car that looked the part...... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I am rolling on the floor,Hwoods please tell me you are
    kidding about the car..That is toooo funny. Did you offer to
    give him his choice of the remaining junkers??? My worst would
    have to be the time I stuck our new pumper....in a septic tank.

Forum Member

Here’s another one of mine:

How about requiring medical attention for heat exhaustion while working on the medical team for the county fair?

Be careful, and drink water!

Forum Member

We layed hose on the road as well except ours was 5". We had a tropical system blow in and we had sustained winds of about 40mph with gusts over 60mph. We had removed the hose bed cover to keep it from blowing off (didnt think about the hose).

I was driving the engine and while returning from a run I noticed a car swerve and drive up on the median in my mirror. The FF in the rear seat saw it and looked out the window to see if the guy hit anything and saw the hose. We layed the entire load (1000'). But it wasnt all bad as our other engine co. did the same thing about three hours later. Got me off the hook.

Dave

Thread Information