Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Analyze This!"

Angry "Analyze This!"

Here we go again........A Daily News article today explained how the NYPD is in desparate need of $18,000,000 worth of Lap-Top computers. The computers are meant to be installed in the individual radio cars to up-date information such as; Roof-Top Maps, Street Grids, Plate Running. Now folks, help me out here.....this is the same NYPD looking to lay-off Cops due to a budget crunch??????? Anyone looking for a slightly used, slightly off balanced Mayor?
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

Yes but the laptops can be used to replace personel...less dispatchers, better control of units on calls, and such.

MembersZone Subscriber

The laptops are being purchased to REPLACE antiquated equipment that is already in use by NYPD. Virtually every ajor PD in the country utilizes in-car computer technology to make the job of being a cop easier.

Who says it is a bad idea? Some disgruntled consultant who didn't get the contract this time around. Rooftop maps are a imiscule part of the capability of in-car computers.

I also don't think that anyone in the NYPD wanted to lay off anyone. They were faced with a critical decision about their budget and this was one avenue being explored. But the press picked up on it and all of sudden it was a done deal. You failed to mention that as of late last week, the possibility of NYPD layoffs had been taken off the table.

Here is the link to the Daily News story
    http://www.nydailynews.com/01-21-200...1p-49954c.html
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 01-21-2003 at 02:57 PM.

Seems to me that FDNYRR is trying to figure how NYPD can be stating they are in a big budget crunch, cutting where ever they can, but want new computers in the cars. I would like to think that having more officers on the road would be better than updated computers. Just my take on it.
    Last edited by Bones42; 01-21-2003 at 04:47 PM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't see any cop bashing. I saw a guy concerned about cops losing jobs.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know what? In reading it again, you might be right. I removed the lines in reference to cop bashing frmo the original post.

A computer in a police cruiser is useless without dispatchers or police officers to enter and receive the data!

A computer may help solve a crimne or predict trends...but a computer never collared a skell.....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

"Geeze.......George CFI" I wasn't refering to the cops at all-but rather the indecisive Mayoral actions?????
    Sincerely sorry I offended your LEO mentality again!

Also, the article mentioned running plates through central, as is, would allow for better control. Also mentioned was that this is not LA, and roof-top maps in NYC are useless. Also mentioned are the "necessary" road grids......and how much the cops would even use the computers.

Yes George, as mentioned....."Most" major PD's have the stuff.....but most Major PD's also run with one man cars.

To be fair, what wasn't mentioned, and what I guess I forgot to mention is the fact that this would probably be part of the never-ending Federal Funding the cops get. Something Fire Departments will never see in their existances.

All in all...........anyone want a dirtbag/mutt Mayor?

Just think pretty soon I'll be back in New Mexico and won't be able to write these things.......ROTFL!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by FDNYRR; 01-21-2003 at 04:04 PM.
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Captain Gonzo
    A computer in a police cruiser is useless without dispatchers or police officers to enter and receive the data!

A computer may help solve a crimne or predict trends...but a computer never collared a skell.....
    Gonzo, that is not what they are used for while on patrol. They are used for dispatch, car-to-car communications and report writing. I totally agree that you need cops to operate them. It also helps free up dispatchers as the cars can do their own look ups and obtain info like run numbes etc.

"Geeze.......George CFI" I wasn't refering to the cops at all-but rather the indecisive Mayoral actions?????
    That is why I modified my post, brother. I apologize. Although I think the indeciosn is on the part of the police commisioner, controlled by the negative ratings of the mayor.

Yes George, as mentioned....."Most" major PD's have the stuff.....but most Major PD's also run with one man cars.
    That is nowhere near the truth. Most major PD's run mostly two man cars, especially at night, with some one man cars used for traffic and reports and things like that.

To be fair, what wasn't mentioned, and what I guess I forgot to mention is the fact that this would probably be part of the never-ending Federal Funding the cops get. Something Fire Departments will never see in their existances.
    I have stated my belief quite frequently that the reason there is not equal federal funding for the fire service is because of the fire service. They couldn't agree on what day it is. They are so fragmented that it is impossible to gain a consensus. The FIREACT grants are the closest we will get and even with the relatively massive funding, many are still bitching (see the FIREACT poll on this board).

Just think pretty soon I'll be back in New Mexico and won't be able to write these things.......ROTFL!!!!!!!!
    I am teaching a class in Aztec,NM 2/22-23/2003. Any chance of hooking up for a beer?
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 01-21-2003 at 07:53 PM.

Down here in Texas you will rarely see a two man patrol car.... They are either special unit like gang patrol or are an officer in training... I have noticed more two man cars in the Northeast and I guess alot of California cars are two man units.

Thread Information