Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Angry FSI Funding CUT!

A concern first voiced by MIKEY, FSI has run out of money for off-site training.

Waterman FPD, just west of us, was hosting a FFII class, taught by FSI. I was just informed by their training officer last night that they have been told that FSI is out of money and LAST NIGHT WAS THEIR LAST CLASS. They have about four weeks to go to finish the program. We had four people in this class, and are now scrambling with WFPD to find instructors to finish up.

I must say, this is the first time I am disapponted with an FSI program. In talking to WFPD's TO, he informed me that they have had at least eight classes cancelled by the instructors (some of whom never bother to call and say, "I ain't cummin"). The money FSI would've paid for those nights would be enough to finish up. But now we have to make up.

Thanks, George. We'll clean it up from here....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

I was afraid of that. I am frankly suprised the the U of I has been as well-funded as it has been (was?). It is crying a shame that something that benefits our entire State is going to get chopped to bits. It will fall on our Fire Service leaders in Illinois to ensure that the training levels remain and that they continue to expand. We have plenty of instructors up this way who could pick up the slack. I just hope our friends downstate can do the same.

MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

You almost had to figure they would run out of money. Everything else has. But to cancel class thie that is uncalledfor. Our new FFII class starts tonight. Our County Chiefs Assn is conducting the class with local instructors. We won't know the actual cost of the class til tonight. At least we won't get shut down like Waterman did. I hope local instructors can be found to finish the class. Keep us posted.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Out of money?

Jay:
    Someone needs to contact Dave Clark at the Institute to find out what is going on. FF II classes should pay for themselves from enrollment fees. Now, the Essentials program, I could understand, but FF II? Something doesn't sound right.
    I email the Colonel when I get home tonight. I'm sure that he can shed some light on the subject.
    See you. Oh, and email me at my home email addy. I have some news for ya.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

That stinks! I was hoping for some classes this spring at our place. Doesn't sound like there's much sense even asking now. I think I will anyway and see what happens.
    The same thing happened a few years ago where IFSI didn't have any money to go around locally. I thought Jaehne had everything worked out but I guess not. Maybe we all need to ask for WMD training. They've probably got money for that.
    Did anybody notice that they haven't said what Fire College would cost this year? Might be out of reach for a lot of us.

Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

Jack, I would ABSOLUTELY ask for classes next year. This may be a temporary thing, it may be a local thing, or it may be a problem with this class only. As soon as I find out what's going on, I'll let everyone know.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

One thing working in Illinois' favor is that there many different ways to get your training. Not just through IFSI. If your area can pool your resources together, ie: Instructors and classes and get them approved by the OSFM it will help limit the pain of losing IFSI money. The IFCA, and community colleges can also help. I used to teach Firefighter II classes prior to our MABAS Division developing their academy. It was a great way to keep fresh on "everyday" topics. We have some extremely talented and educated Instructors in Illinois. I have taken courses through The college, IFCA and IFSI myself. It is almost a "good problem" to have so many different groups offering courses. As long as they are approved for OSFM certificates.

Default IFSI FUNDS

[B]
    Do guys suppose the lack of funds have anything to do with the just finished subcommittee work on Fire Service funding lead by Reps Moffitt and Smith?

Exclamation 'Tention! 'Tention, please!

This may be a false alram!

I repeat, this may be a false alarm!

After having further discussions with the TO in Waterman, it may be that they were not able to keep a minimum number of students in the class. (FSI requires a minimum of 15).

I will post more info as it becomes available. Please stay tuned.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Our first FFII class was held last night. The room was full. 5 depts represented. Does anybody have extra copies of Essentials 4? We are way short. Email me if you dostcoesda2@mchsi.com
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You're right about IFSI and its minimum no. of students. They could continue having the class if the depts. wanted to foot the bill. Maybe that's where the lack of dollars comes from. Hope so.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I just came from a Fireground Management IC class. I asked the instructor if he had any info on IFSI canceling classes because of lack of funds. He said he had not been notified of any problems. He is a IFSI instructor. He also said sometimes they are the last to find out. Wanted to pass this on.

Exclamation ALL COMPANIES STAND DOWN. THIS IS A FLASE ALARM.

Just got word this AM from Dave Clark, Asst. Dir. IFSI (Thanks, Art!). This class was dumped due to class size (or rather, lack thereof).

I apologize to everyone for the false warnings. I was told it was dropped for funding, but obviously this is incorrect.

I shall now go mind my own effing business.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Exclamation

Or you could be in our situation. We got a grant for a new truck, our newest being a 1999 only a Ford F550 Brush/rescue truck, and then have the funding for the new truck we ordered cut by our new Governor.

The Doc is out now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Doc, what kind of money did you get cut? We're up for a $50,000 Illinois First grant to help us build a station. We haven't heard anything about it yet.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Default Doc; That was fast!

Doc;
    Could you go into some details? For instance; if it was an Illinois First grant and your department has a grant number, after doing the survey and grant application, then the money should still be there. The money for the 2003 grant period was allocated to the Department of Commerce and Community Affairs LAST year. By law, it can only be used per your agreement with the state. That door swings both ways, I believe. The only thing the new Governor can do is stop future grants. That's why I'm confused.
    Can you shed some light on it for me, please?
    Thanking you in advance.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

BROTHERS AND SISTERS,
    I'M GLAD SOMEONE CALLED DAVE CLARK AND GOT THE SKINNY ON THE INSTITUTE AND THE FUNDING. IT IS A VALUABLE RESOURCE AND ALL I CAN SAY TO EVERYONE IS THAT IF THE CLASSES GET APPROVED AND THE STUDENT NUMBERS ARE THERE, THE INSTITUTE WON'T PULL THE RUG OUT FROM UNDER IT.

STAY SAFE AND TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER,
    RANDY LEEK

P.S. "THE BEST THING AN OLD FIREFIGHTER CAN TEACH A YOUNG FIREFIGHTER IS HOW TO BECOME AN OLD FIREFIGHTER"

Forum Member

Default Re: Doc; That was fast!

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Doc;
    Could you go into some details?

The only thing the new Governor can do is stop future grants. That's why I'm confused.
    Can you shed some light on it for me, please?
    Thanking you in advance.
    CR
    Ah, if I could provide details, I would. However, I be but a mere Indian and not a Chief, or the fellow who was getting the money for us. All I know is that we were told by our local State Senator and Representative that we had a grant of X-amount. We were using for a new truck. Then at our meeting this month we were informed that the money was being frozen by the Governor. We were told last year that we had the money - about September. We were reassured in December that the money was there, earmarked for us, and we were getting it, so that we could order the truck. Now, no money. That is what I know of it.

The Doc is out now.

Default DocLaw; you speak the truth!

HiHo Everyone;
    Just wanted you all to know, that, if you were like me, you kinda said "WTF" to yourself when you saw the news. It seems that Gov. Blago has declared a moratorium on "legislative initiative" projects until he and his staff have had a chance to review the projects. We have been told by Don Moffitt that grants involving public safety will get a fair and expeditious review. I wouldn't buy anything right now unless you have money in hand. I know of a department who is close to me who ordered equipment and are now wondering how they are going to pay for it.
    If you haven't done the DCCA(now the DCEO)survey, do so. If you have gotten the grant application, fill it out and submit it. If you have done all of this, then kick back and wait. If your project is deemed worthy, you will get your check. If not; better luck next time.
    Representative Moffitt will push hard and remember; Carl Hawkinson of Galesburg is the chairman of the public safety committee for Gov. Blago. When Carl was in the Senate, it was he that Don would pass his bills to for Senate approval. So, don't despair.
    Ah, politics. Gotta love it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Good news all The gov has turned some money loose last week. This is a news story for a water line in our area.

By Doug Wilson
    Herald-Whig Senior Writer

Gov. Rod Blagojevich has unfrozen the grant for a 12-inch water line that will serve the village of Golden and Methode Electronics.

However, more than $2.5 million in other funding projects in Western Illinois will be withheld until a review process is complete.

Julie Curry, the deputy governor for economic development, said the $350,000 grant for Golden’s water line will help retain jobs at the Methode Electronics plant there. Curry said the grant would be processed in time to award construction contracts before bids expire on Feb. 14.

However, Curry said more than $2.5 million in other funding projects for Western Illinois will have to go through a review process to make sure the projects are worthwhile. Blagojevich froze all member initiative funds and unexpended Illinois FIRST funds when he took office on Jan. 13, and said projects are now being reviewed.

“Julie Curry said they haven’t just taken these funds and set them off to the side. They’ve got people reviewing everything to make sure state money only goes for worthwhile projects,” said Sen. John Sullivan, D-Rushville.

“She looks for those funds to be released fairly soon.”

“She said she is very supportive of job retention and that’s one of the important things about the Golden water line because it will serve Methode. When she found out the grant was not member initiative money and not from Illinois FIRST she said the funds could be released,” Scholz said.

Mentesti said Methode needs a bigger water line for fire safety. The company employs about 400 people and will pay a major portion of the project costs, Mentesti said.

“This is textbook economic development. This project gets Clayton-Camp Point Water District and the village of Golden and the state involved in a business development/public infrastructure program,” Mentesti said.

John Klingner of Klingner & Associates engineering firm said it was important to get the contract awarded soon because contractor bids were only good for one month. Bids were opened Jan. 14 and if the grant had not been released the village would have needed to seek new bids.

Pipe prices have risen in the past month, and Charles Bell of GREDF said the new bids would probably have come in higher.

this is not the complete atricle i have deleted some to save space.

Thread Information