Thread: Alarm Systems

Forum Member

Question Alarm Systems

Just wondering what tools/equipment you lead off with for an alarm system with no update in an unoccupied building. Let me know what you bring in with you and what type of truck you are on (rescue, engine, truck). Also, I know this sounds stupid but I am trying to prove a point...do you don SCBA for alarm system calls? Thanks!

Chuck Jones Jr., FF/EMT-B
    Station/Squad 22-4
    Gloucester County, NJ

Forum Member

We have the pump crew go to the trouble zone with the rescue LT. They all have donned scba and have a hose pack and hirise tool kit with them. We probably do about 2000 of these alarm calls per year so it can be a pain in the butt. I'd rather bring all the equipment and not need it than to get to the trouble floor and find a fire. The rigs waiting outside wil be: 3 pumps, 1 rescue, and 2 aerials; total manpower-20.

Forum Member

Normal full response. It is treated as any other call with potential for fire or rescue.
    Complacency kills.

Forum Member

Flashlights, gas detector, irons, water extinguisher, pry axe, 6' hook. Trucks don't roll without at least 2 guys in SCBA, usually all members will have one on. #1 company rolls a 55' telesquirt and #2 company rolls an engine. Usually 5-6 guys on each.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Engine co. usually makes 1st entry with irons, pump can, lights, pile poles and keys for the knox box. Everyone in SCBA.

You would be suprised how many retail stores have employees inside overnight, some who are locked in with no keys.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

The one time you decide to go in without tools and equipment or proper PPE, there will most likely be a fire on the other side of the door. In this uncertain world, you can never assume it is "just a false alarm". We treat them as a full fire response.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Default Alarm Systems

Chuck-

Here's how we do things a couple of towns over from you (more or less the same as everybody who has already replied):

Ladder Crew (first due from my station on most structural calls) -
    -Irons, Hydra-Ram bag, 6' hook & can, handlights, radio

Engine Crew (first due from our sister station on all structural calls)-
    -Irons, Hi-Rise Pack (as appropriate), handlights, radio

That equipment is usually divided between two firefighters (from each apparatus), while the rest of the crews stand by outside ready to perform any needed duties (laddering, stretching hoses, etc) based upon the report of the interior crew. All qualified personel are in SCBA.

If our whole battalion were to respond, there would be 4 engines, 1 ladder-tower, and 1 heavy rescue. It is rarely the case for the entire battalion to make it to the scene, so a more realistic response would be the ladder, an engine or two, and the rescue. Manpower on scene could be anywhere from 8 to 30.

I hope this helps you prove your point . . .

FF John Millili
    Deptford Fire Department
    Battalion Three
    Gloucester County, NJ Sta. 9-3

Forum Member

Smile

We go with a regular structure response and tactics, scba and tools for everybody except the apparatus driver. Ladder to the front with the first engine and the second engine standing by at the hydrant.
    I noticed most of the other replies to your post say much the same and it seems that the general opinion is don't get caught with your pants down, complacency KILLS!! Stay safe out there.

Thread Information