Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Post What is it worth?

Just have to ask, what is worth to you to see your kids grow up?
    I was just offered a job as fire chief in a small town about 65 miles from where I live now. The new town has a population of about 5000 people with a paid/volunteer department. I currently work as a driver with more certification than I need, (I'm a product of the Air Force), I also volunteer in the smaller town (about 500 people) I live in and currently work as the fire chief. Right now I spent 3 nights a week at the station. So I have to ask, how much of a pay-cut would you take to see your three daughters (13,9,9) grow up?

Default Friggin Money

I took a $20,000 pay cut with anticipation of having a family… You can only answer the Question you ask… For me it was being away for 3 nights a week. I don’t want to be a part time father… All the money in the world don’t mean a thing if your not home… Here’s an email I received just today…MONEY
    It can buy a House...............But not a Home
    It can buy a Bed..................But not Sleep
    It can buy a Clock................But not Time
    It can buy you a Book..........But not knowledge
    It can buy you a Position...But not Respect
    It can buy you Medicine...But not Health
    It can buy you Blood............But not Life
    It can buy you Sex..............But not Love

So you see money isn't everything.
    And it often causes pain and suffering.
    I tell you all this because I am your Friend,
    and as your Friend I want to take away
    your pain and suffering..............
    So send me all your money..........
    And I will suffer for you.
    CASH ONLY PLEASE!!!
    Good luck Chief...
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

MembersZone Subscriber

My buddy put it into perspective for me once. He said,"if I show my kids my paycheck and it is $200 more, do you think they are impressed? No they just want to see me."

Wait till they are teenagers Scoop, believe me they will be more interested in the paycheck

Thumbs up You're the answer

fdman, I'm not sure if you're asking for advice, opinions, or what. But personally I think that YOU are the only one that can answer your own questions. The only thing that we as outsiders can do is bring up some areas of consideration. First I would say, are you taking a big enough pay cut that it will change your way of life? Kids can pick up on that sort of stuff and may even cause more problems at home than what its worth. Unfortunately, money is an object, it is required to live. The number one thing that I would look at is YOUR happiness. If you're not happy with your job, but get to spend more time with your kids, you may spend that time venting, stressing over bills, and in a bad mood, which will make all that time with your kids not fulfilling. What does the future hold for this new position, if you notice, alot of new fire chiefs don't last that long in departments in which they have had little affiliation with in the past. If you ask alot of paid firefighters what they do with all their time off, most will say that they have a part time job. You see, we have a great schedule for raising families, unfortunately most paid firefighters dont make enough to support those families on thier fire salaries alone. So in reality it's up to you to decide whats going to make you happy, look our for your future, yes spending time with your kids is an issue, but the quality of time could be better than quanity of time. Your kids are old enough where before long their not gonna want to spend as much time with you as they will thier friends.
    BTW my kids are 4 and 1, I work a 24/24 schedule, I'm a POC for an ambulance service, so I'm pretty much home on my days off and my kids get sick of me at times.
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

Default I forgot

A couple things I forgot to bring up, will you have to move? IF so how would this affect your kids with school, friends, and so on. Talk to them as well as your wife. If it were me, I'd make it a family decision, that's going to mean more to them than anything. GOOD LUCK
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

On a side note, I have 3 daughters too man, 6,1,1. Boy was I in for a suprise when the twins were born

So, I'm a little confused. Will taking the new position cause you to see your family less or more? I would think a 40-hour chief position would be more condusive (sp?) to family life, but I don't exactly know what your schedule is now.

Plus being the chief, you can kind of make your own hours.

Forum Member

I also feel the quality of time you spend with them is more important than the quantity of time.

I work 3rd shift so as it is I sleep all day long. I don't get to see my 2 year old near as much as I would like to, but I make sure I play with him and tell him I love him everyday.

If you take the chief job you are not just changing your life, but your whole families as well. The decision is yours.

Good luck.

I will also volunteer to take all of your money and relieve you of one more problem
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Forum Member

I took an $800 a month pay cut coming to my dept 3 years ago, just made it back up to what I used to make. I am glad that i mad ethe switch.

I think i will say something from my 16 year old point of view.... My dad means the world to me(even if he isnt a firefighter) its hard when he is not at home, he fixes everything, and no matter how much he pis.... umm makes me mad... i never want to have him away from me. but in all truth, if he is doing something that he loves, than im right there with him, and even when it takes some getting used to, it all works out in the end. and even if i dont see him every night, i still talk to him constantly(some times louder than others) so i would say, do you think you could stand being away from them, or do you think they wouldnt be able to stand being away from you? if you take the job, wait a year, than the moments away will more than likey be for the better (ment as a joke, ya know that whole hate the parents time of life) errr am i making any sence at all?

Hope so, it sounded ok whilei was typing, than again i havent slept in about 3 days **yawn** now that i think of it, it sounds like a good time to start...

Kelly
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Wannabeinthefd,

Make sure you tell your dad what you said here today. I have a 15 year old son that means the world to me. My job as a FF has been both good and bad for spending time with him. I wish I had spent more time with him though. He is going through the "dont want to be around the parents" stage and while I understand that it is a part of growing up, it tears me up inside to think that we are growing apart. I try my best to be there for him and support him however I can. I'll tell you though, just once I'd like to hear him say that I'm still important to him. This job is a great thing. I work a 24/72 schedule. One of the biggest problems is with that much time off I got way to involved with a second job. I admit I should of spent more time with my family than I did. If and when you get on the job and have a family try not to make the same mistake. If you ask any of the older guys I bet they would tell you the same thing. However back to my original point- tell your dad how important he is to you. You never know how long he is going to be around. Believe me it's the best present a dad could get. By the way, Fathers day is just around the corner!

Ya i guess i tend to forget that every now and than, i never really think of myself as daddys little girl anymore, mabe i should, because i probablly am to him ... sorry your son is being in that stage right now, but he will come around, just tell him to read this post. wheres my dad? i need a hug...

- Thomas Edison

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

Any extra time with the kids is worth it at ANYexpense to your career. I recently gave up a rather good paying part-time job to spend more time with my kids. Although I am hurting a bit financially it is still well worth it.

Forum Member

This is a neat and timely topic for me. I am expecting my first child (a son, Eric) in just about 8 weeks. So much of my thought process involves deciding whether we continue to rent our apartment, build or buy a house, try to get a job closer to home or move closer to the one I have, etc. I make good money where I am at and I have a great Shift Officer and Shift mates, but after the boy is born will I know my priorities will shift somewhat from scuba diving and work to diapers and...ok..scuba diving . I can't wait to spend time with my son and wife together and begin raising him and any decision that may make it easier for us to raise him and provide for him would have to be looked at very strongly.

FDMAN, good luck making your decision andI hope things find you in happiness when you make the choice.

WANNABE- I think I may have met you once or twice at LFD,a buddy Paul just got hired in Rye FD and I think he may have introduced us. Any how... I hope I can earn the respect of my son that you have for you dad, what a gift that will be. DOn't grow up to fast :P
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

WANNABE- I think I may have met you once or twice at LFD,a buddy Paul just got hired in Rye FD and I think he may have introduced us. Any how... I hope I can earn the respect of my son that you have for you dad, what a gift that will be. DOn't grow up to fast :P
    Humm, perhaps, we have meetings every thursday, mabey i will see you there? whats your name? Im Kelly. and if i dont, best of luck with your son. You wouldnt happen to be talking about little paul would you... that guys a charicter wicked nice too. humm
    well i hope to see you sometime, or to keep talking with you at least.. perhaps i will visit u at ryes station sometime

Kelly

- Thomas Edison

Forum Member

I just know "little Paul" from our time on the Newington FD and at the New England Dragway, don't work at Rye FD so you most likely won't see me there! :P My AIM name is the same as the FH forums name so feel free to say "Hi" if you see me online.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Thread Information