Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radios

Forum Member

Default Radios

Looking at the USFA/NFPA study concerning shortfalls for departments I am wondering how many of you have problems with radios. The study stated;

In general, fire departments do not have enough portable radios to equip more than about half of the emergency responders on a shift and most radios lack intrinsic safety in an explosive atmosphere are and not water-resistant.

My department has Motorola radios that I can attest are not water-resistant, at a recent fire I was overhauling I got quite wet and my radio gave a sick constant tone and that was it. Out of service and that radio is junk now. This has happened to other radios in the past but usually they are dried out and back on the rig. Bottom line is that I am very nervous about using them.

Who has radios that they like and that work well in the conditions that we work in. These Motorola radios might be good for a construction crew or a security guard but they don't work in fireground conditions. I think they are GP 100's and GP 300's.

A GP300 or GP100 is not designed for your application. They are not water resistant and not intrisically safe. They are made for personal, buisiness, etc, etc. They shouldn't be using them for the fire service. They are GREAT radios otherwise.

There are radios designed for public safety... fire, police, ems, etc. What you are using is not one of them.

We have setup our apparatus so there is a portable radio for each airpack and the driver. All officers have their own issued portable. The officers are also equiped with the face mask adaptors that interface the radio mic & speaker to the face mask. Theory being and officer should be leading the attack team so we began the interfaces with them to test. We use kenwood 90 series portables and they work great. Never had a problem.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-22-2003 at 06:55 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Default Radio

we use I-com radios they are not bad at all you can get soft ware to program them your self there not bad with water had one get wet let it dry for a few days and worked fine after

We have portables for each position on the rig, in addition, each company officer has his own radio. We use Motorola HT1000's, and we also have additional Motorola MX800's for large incidents, special details, etc.

They've been dropped, soaked with water and still work. They do not work well when they accidentally get run over (It didn't happen to me, so don't ask! )

edited for spelling..I had a brain fart when I posted!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-23-2003 at 07:21 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I'm with the good Captain. Our HT 1000 radios work very well. We also have one for each riding position.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

We are using relm and maxon radios. They do okay with water as long as they are not totally submerged. But our biggest problem is the department that we mutual aid the most is on the 800 system and we are still on 154mhz. I wish we could afford the upgrade because it really makes it hard when we are working together. Sure would be nice if all the FD's across the nation were on the same system. But I think I am dreaming!
    Brian Cook
    Asst. Chief

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Motorola......

We use, and generally like, the HT1000's from Motorola. The gentleman from Oklahoma mentioned Frequency differences. I always thought that Silver City was doing pretty good, but 800Mhz?? Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

4 Kenwood TK270 or 272G's per rig, except squads and current rescues which have 2.

We disabled the channel select dial because guys were turning that instead of the volume and getting lost in multi-channel land (16). Now the channel select is done with the keypad arrows.

Also, we have a secondary button set to go direct to the dispacth channel regardless of what channel the radio is set on. Just in case no one answers the fire ground channel.
    www.gvfd.org

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

on my dept the chief and captain have maxon handhelds. i carry a kenwood tk-250. these are the only handhelds we have. heck we have trucks that don't have radios. but that problem is being resolved. i've never had probelms with my radio, but i haven't dropped it in water or anything. it did take a trip off of a moving truck heading down the road. got it back and turned it on and it still works. mic is a little scrapped but otherwise functional.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

We use the Motorola XTS 3000. We've had them for a little less than six months now... but they've passed the test so far. God knows I give 'em enough abuse... uh... I mean, the other guys abuse 'em and I take care of them. Right?

Each of the on-duty firefighters (our dept is combo) is assigned one each shift. A spare radio is kept on each rig. Also, each of the officers (both vollie & career) has a radio permanatly assigned to them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Motorola HT 1000's are good radios. Motorola does make some cheaper radios which i have been not so privledged to use and in my opinion they give motorola a bad name. HT 1000's take a lot of abuse and keep on going. We have one in every riding position.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking radios

I wish we had your money truckie !!!!!!
    " Be safe brothers, WE ALL GO HOME"

MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

We have just switched to icom. Our station has a total of 8 portables. The scene commander uses 1 and assigns the rest at the scene. One of our guys dropped one radio in the portable tank 4ft deep. After it dried for a couple of days it works fine. I still have a couple of kenwood tk-250s. I'll still take them over 270s or icoms. I've even run over one of mine with my truck. All I had to do is file the bottom of the battery down so it would go back in the charger.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up MOTOROLA!!

We use HT1000's and aside from getting dropped (we have one that the Capt keeps hooking on things) a few times too often, they have worked really well. We have a couple of Kenwoods, but I can't use the words that the Chief uses to describe them here. Not a good piece of kit.

I have had the opportunity to use the new Motorola Sabre's that the Navy bought a while ago. Its nice to have the LCD display - no mistaking what channel or zone setting that way. We use those for Boarding Ops and can transmit from pretty much anywhwere in almost any ship, which is very nice.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Motorola HT1250

They hold up through fire, ems, water, falls, etc. They also have indicators on the screen that let you know how much battery power you have at any given time and a host of other features, including what channel you are talking on and what channel (when scanning) is on. An excellent radio. You can get one for around 350-500 on ebay, a lot cheaper than retail and a local radio dealer can program it for you. Also, the smaller version, the EX500s and 600s are said to be excellent too, just smaller versions of the HT1250.

Beware though, the PRO7150, etc., is a foreign model of the Motorola HT1250 and not certificated for use by the FCC in the United States and are difficult to find programming software for.

Good luck!

Thread Information