Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

we use a cup of "Drench" which is super foamy, but very thick, so whoever uses it has to shake it just a tad before use, and it'll work like a charm. Any of yall have or used the air aspirating nozzle on your cans? I've heard that you can run some oxygen tubing from the pickup to the air level and make it a CAFS extinguisher.

Forum Member

It might be easier to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the syphon tube above the water level and remove the tip on the discharge hose so that it will be full flow. But you can only fill the extinguisher with ONE GALLON of solution because it needs the extra volume for more air or gas. It will generate about 60 gallons of CAFS type foam.

There are other modifications that can be made for alternate gas supply so you could fill the extinguisher to the top (3 gallons)and generate 180 gallons of foam.

Add the dry, oil eating microbes and you can bioremediate the hydrocarbon spills at the auto wrecks and charge the insurance companies for legal decontamination and disposal.

Hope this is usefull information.
    Mark Cummins

Forum Member

Default plastic tubing

could i expect it to work effectivley with out plastic tubing and just drilling a hole?

Forum Member

Default i read part about the tip

does this mean i should chop of the nozzle?

I use a 1-2 table spoons of CHEAP dish soap. Seems the cheaper the better.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default nozzle for water can

if you chop off the nozzle could u still stick your finger in the stream to produce a spray?

Forum Member

Default cafs can

what would the range be if cut off nozzle and if it is possible to use as a spray what is the effective range like to hear the distance for both please. Thanks again

Forum Member

The compressed gas in the stream expands when it reaches the discharge end of the hose and gives the foam a lot of extra enegy for increased throw distance, yet being compressable, the stream can be shaped into a fan with a finger for close work.
    Mark Cummins

MembersZone Subscriber

We use 2 shots of "A" foam in our cans, works fine.

Originally posted by Resq14
    When we refill APW extinguishers, we dump a small amount of Class A from a bucket sitting around the station. Same stuff we use on the trucks.
    Same here. Seems we always have some leftover in a pail that was previously used to top off one of the rigs. We dump in about a cup full and it works great.

Just be careful which order you choose to put the water and foam in.... could be a bubbly mess From experience unfortunately!!!!

Originally posted by cfire3
    It might be easier to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the syphon tube above the water level and remove the tip on the discharge hose so that it will be full flow. But you can only fill the extinguisher with ONE GALLON of solution because it needs the extra volume for more air or gas. It will generate about 60 gallons of CAFS type foam.
    I figured I'd give this a try, so i did, but only I drilled two 1/16" holes opposite each other on the pickup tube above the water level. I followed up with one gallon of water, random amount of Drench, and then pressurized. I did not remove the tip on the discharge hose. This thing was simply AMAZING! It foamed EXCELLENT! Myself and the asst. chief did two test burns with some old stumps in my yard and a tad of gasoline in one(1/2 of one of the small coffee cans) to see how it handled liquids. It knocked the fire down amazingly fast, using approximately 1/4 to not quite 1/2 of the gallon on a fully involved stump (stump being about 2' in diameter and hollow). Next meeting I plan to demonstrate one and hopefully convince the dept to do this to all water cans. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anybody! The expanding foam more than makes up for the loss of water. cfire3, you have my vote for president!

Forum Member

Now that's what I love to hear.

That's exactly the way I felt when I first discovered what CAFS could do, even with such an incredibly small flow as a converted hand held extinguisher.

You will be much more impressed when you cut the tip reducer off of the hose, make the cut straight across the hose and smooth as possible and don't forget to use a finger to shape the fan stream for close up fire fighting. You might consider even a longer hose to increase the density of the foam with the extra friction. There are other mods that will let you use an air pac supply so that you can fill the water tank all the way up. It becomes very formidable fire unit that way.

I hope you will take a look at some of the big CAFS if you haven't already. And I really do appreciate your encouraging comments.

Please let me know if you have any questions about CAFS. I'd love to help.
    Mark Cummins

I forgot to mention in my previous post that if CAFS on pumpers is anything like that extinguisher, I want it on everything, but budget won't allow it, not anytime soon at least. I don't have an extra one to cut the tip off of yet. I may make a fitting that will screw into that head and make my own nozzle-less hose.

Forum Member

Default water can cafs

i am not ff but it seems to me my hobby firefighting equipment that you need to make sure when new standards probably,,, like nfpa are written you must point out that the codes need room innovation dont you think? modifying a can it prohibited in nfpa code

but you sed this was quite effective if you have a chance to write some standards please remember that there need to be ways to in corperate new technogies?
    thank you abdul

Forum Member

Default cold fire

ps i belive according to the manf Firefreeze worldwide

if you use cold fire for class a or b fire you would have an agnet that was supperior to foam and is a clean agent.

Forum Member

Red face PPS. hydro test??????

how do you plan to hydro test this once converted???????????

Drilling the holes only affects the pickup tube and not the can itself, therefore it wouldn't affect when you hydro test it. I did a few experiments, one of them i cut a piece of garden hose about 6" long and hose clamped it onto the end of the regular nozzle. This made for some thicker foam with a bit more control. Today i made a hydraulic hose with the proper fitting on it to screw into the head, and with no nozzle on the end this gives the best flow and thick foam. I am curious as to how you would convert it and use a SCBA cylinder.

Forum Member

Default cafs

i think what cfire3 meant was to use the scba cylinder as a propellant to the water can you might want check out fire equipment i think by kingsway sales the have a bottle atached to a "can"

I gathered that, but what i'm refering to is as to how you would get the air into the can, I know you would have to have some type of regulator, and somehow you'd have to attach the inlet to the can.

Forum Member

Originally posted by HFRH28
    I gathered that, but what i'm refering to is as to how you would get the air into the can, I know you would have to have some type of regulator, and somehow you'd have to attach the inlet to the can.
    I have made several of these CAFS and use them to kill killer bee swarms and to fill hollow trees, stums and walls with dish detergent foam to irradicate the hives without using any poison.

I remove the top lever handle and valve and drill and tap the brass valve body so that I can thread in a new 1/4 inch pickup tube.(1/4 inch copper tube with 1/8 hole near top, soldered into a 1/4 brass nipple) Then adapt the regulated and checked valved scba output into the old discharge opening of the extinguishers valve body. Connect a 1/4 inch shut off valve and 3 or 4 ft of hose to the new discharge fitting on top and you can then fill the extinguisher to the top with 3 gallons of water and soap mixture. Use 100 psi and a cup of detergent.
    Mark Cummins

Thread Information