Forum Member

Default nozzle for water can

if you chop off the nozzle could u still stick your finger in the stream to produce a spray?

Forum Member

Default cafs can

what would the range be if cut off nozzle and if it is possible to use as a spray what is the effective range like to hear the distance for both please. Thanks again

Forum Member

The compressed gas in the stream expands when it reaches the discharge end of the hose and gives the foam a lot of extra enegy for increased throw distance, yet being compressable, the stream can be shaped into a fan with a finger for close work.
    Mark Cummins

MembersZone Subscriber

We use 2 shots of "A" foam in our cans, works fine.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Resq14
    When we refill APW extinguishers, we dump a small amount of Class A from a bucket sitting around the station. Same stuff we use on the trucks.
    Same here. Seems we always have some leftover in a pail that was previously used to top off one of the rigs. We dump in about a cup full and it works great.

Just be careful which order you choose to put the water and foam in.... could be a bubbly mess From experience unfortunately!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by cfire3
    It might be easier to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the syphon tube above the water level and remove the tip on the discharge hose so that it will be full flow. But you can only fill the extinguisher with ONE GALLON of solution because it needs the extra volume for more air or gas. It will generate about 60 gallons of CAFS type foam.
    I figured I'd give this a try, so i did, but only I drilled two 1/16" holes opposite each other on the pickup tube above the water level. I followed up with one gallon of water, random amount of Drench, and then pressurized. I did not remove the tip on the discharge hose. This thing was simply AMAZING! It foamed EXCELLENT! Myself and the asst. chief did two test burns with some old stumps in my yard and a tad of gasoline in one(1/2 of one of the small coffee cans) to see how it handled liquids. It knocked the fire down amazingly fast, using approximately 1/4 to not quite 1/2 of the gallon on a fully involved stump (stump being about 2' in diameter and hollow). Next meeting I plan to demonstrate one and hopefully convince the dept to do this to all water cans. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anybody! The expanding foam more than makes up for the loss of water. cfire3, you have my vote for president!

Forum Member

Now that's what I love to hear.

That's exactly the way I felt when I first discovered what CAFS could do, even with such an incredibly small flow as a converted hand held extinguisher.

You will be much more impressed when you cut the tip reducer off of the hose, make the cut straight across the hose and smooth as possible and don't forget to use a finger to shape the fan stream for close up fire fighting. You might consider even a longer hose to increase the density of the foam with the extra friction. There are other mods that will let you use an air pac supply so that you can fill the water tank all the way up. It becomes very formidable fire unit that way.

I hope you will take a look at some of the big CAFS if you haven't already. And I really do appreciate your encouraging comments.

Please let me know if you have any questions about CAFS. I'd love to help.
    Mark Cummins

Forum Member

I forgot to mention in my previous post that if CAFS on pumpers is anything like that extinguisher, I want it on everything, but budget won't allow it, not anytime soon at least. I don't have an extra one to cut the tip off of yet. I may make a fitting that will screw into that head and make my own nozzle-less hose.

Forum Member

Default water can cafs

i am not ff but it seems to me my hobby firefighting equipment that you need to make sure when new standards probably,,, like nfpa are written you must point out that the codes need room innovation dont you think? modifying a can it prohibited in nfpa code

but you sed this was quite effective if you have a chance to write some standards please remember that there need to be ways to in corperate new technogies?
    thank you abdul

Forum Member

Default cold fire

ps i belive according to the manf Firefreeze worldwide

if you use cold fire for class a or b fire you would have an agnet that was supperior to foam and is a clean agent.

Forum Member

Red face PPS. hydro test??????

how do you plan to hydro test this once converted???????????

Forum Member

Drilling the holes only affects the pickup tube and not the can itself, therefore it wouldn't affect when you hydro test it. I did a few experiments, one of them i cut a piece of garden hose about 6" long and hose clamped it onto the end of the regular nozzle. This made for some thicker foam with a bit more control. Today i made a hydraulic hose with the proper fitting on it to screw into the head, and with no nozzle on the end this gives the best flow and thick foam. I am curious as to how you would convert it and use a SCBA cylinder.

Forum Member

Default cafs

i think what cfire3 meant was to use the scba cylinder as a propellant to the water can you might want check out fire equipment i think by kingsway sales the have a bottle atached to a "can"

Forum Member

I gathered that, but what i'm refering to is as to how you would get the air into the can, I know you would have to have some type of regulator, and somehow you'd have to attach the inlet to the can.

Forum Member

Originally posted by HFRH28
    I gathered that, but what i'm refering to is as to how you would get the air into the can, I know you would have to have some type of regulator, and somehow you'd have to attach the inlet to the can.
    I have made several of these CAFS and use them to kill killer bee swarms and to fill hollow trees, stums and walls with dish detergent foam to irradicate the hives without using any poison.

I remove the top lever handle and valve and drill and tap the brass valve body so that I can thread in a new 1/4 inch pickup tube.(1/4 inch copper tube with 1/8 hole near top, soldered into a 1/4 brass nipple) Then adapt the regulated and checked valved scba output into the old discharge opening of the extinguishers valve body. Connect a 1/4 inch shut off valve and 3 or 4 ft of hose to the new discharge fitting on top and you can then fill the extinguisher to the top with 3 gallons of water and soap mixture. Use 100 psi and a cup of detergent.
    Mark Cummins

Forum Member

Any pictures? I think you could just as simply drill and tap the can itself at the very top, but re-enforce and put a nut on the backside of the fitting. Run the hose from that fitting to the air source. The air source pressurizes the tank and the pickup tube works as normal. Only problem with this is it would affect the integrity of the tank, but if done right it would not be a problem.

We did another test with the CAF extinguisher, nozzle-less. We used a 2' long piece of old light pole, and with just a tad of accelerant, lit it. The CAF extinguisher knocked it right out with little water, no smoldering or embers. After drying, we tried same again, but used conventional water-foam. With the water extinguisher I had to make a complete 360 around it to put it all out. After all was out, I was walking away and it re-lit. Needless to say I had to use the CAF extinguisher to finish putting it out.

Forum Member

Congratulations!!! you are well on your way to becoming a CAFS expert.

I like your idea and think you are right about drilling the SS container with a proper fitting. Be careful though, and to those that haven't done this before, I might suggest... BE REAL CAREFUL.lol

You put a big ol smile on MY face describing the CAFS putting out the other applications fire and you will be a welcomed new member of the CAFS converts. I can hardly wait to hear about your experiences when you upgrade to a full blown 1.5 or 1.75 CAFS hose. (185+ cfm)

I think you can only imagine my amazment when I first saw a 6 inch CAFS flowing 6,000 gpm. (1,000 cfm) We covered a soccer field up in Canada at 3M's plant, it froze and looked like a glacier. We later used it to extinguish a coal mine fire.
    Mark Cummins

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Using 1 Qt. Of ATC/AFFF in a 2 1/2 Gallon PW Extinguisher

I have had great results when mixing 32 oz of ATC/AFFF in a 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher. You get both an A rating greater than a 2 and between a 10 and 20 B rating equivalent. I put in 2 gallons of water and then add the ATC/AFFF. When inverting type Chemical Foam extingushers were popular prior to 1966, there were techniques necessary for applying the agent to a spill fire. The straight stream was directed to the ground just in front of the blazing fuel. The stream was actually banked off the ground and it deflected onto the blazing product. It actually worked very well for the day. This technique works very well with the ATC/AFFF extingtisher with a standard pressurized hose and nozzle. You will get great penetrating of deep seated Class A Fires with this mix. I also would rather use this extinguisher than and 5 or 10 lb ABC Powder extinguisher for Class A and B fires

Forum Member

Default Winterize a Water Can

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while.

I own a brand-new pressure-water extinguisher (Thanks EBAY) and live in Rural PA. I've had it in my trunk for the summer, and it has been used a couple of times for small brush fires at work, etc.

Now that it is getting close to winter, and temps will be below freezing soon, I'm looking for some suggestions on how to "winterize my water can" so that I can still use it.

Thanks,

Jon

Forum Member

I added a dab of RV Antifreeze to my mixture.

I finally broke down and built another CAF ext. I drilled and tapped for an air fitting in the tank itself, with a nut on the backside. Then i did the usual procedures for a CAF ext, with two 1/16" holes in the up-pipe. Fill to the top with water, attach quick connect air hose to air source. My air source was a 5 gallon portable tank at 130 PSI. With two cups of foam, and the extinguisher full of water it made about 35 gallons of finished foam, in about one minute. The 5 gallon air tank does lose pressure, but it last long enough to empty the extinguisher. This works real well with the air outlet on our pumper. We're thinking about mounting an air hose reel beside the booster reel. When it's needed, plug the air line in, take the ext and go.

BEWARE! If you make something like this be sure your fitting is SECURE. be sure you pressure test it in a safe environment before you use it! I set the tractor bucket over mine and pressure tested it to some 160 PSI or so.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Default foam

i accidentally posted to wrong section
    Last edited by abdulcroft; 10-23-2005 at 05:15 PM.

Forum Member

I had an opportunity to use my above extinguisher in it's first real fire situation. Van fire (Chevrolet Astro) loaded with pine straw in front of my residence. I see same pouring smoke and throw the ext. and air tank on the back of the truck, pull out to it and see a fully involved engine fire. After debating whether to attempt it with an extinguisher or to go get a truck, a truck checked in route and I decided to go for it with the extinguisher.

MAN! That thing WORKS! Using it in spurts i completly knocked down the fully involved engine fire then moved to the passenger compartment to knock down extension. By the time all fire was knocked out and first truck was on scene, I still had about a 1/2 gallon of water left. It's truely amazing what CAF can do! (Although bystanders probably thought I was going to pump up their tire when I walked up with a 5 gallon air tank.)

Forum Member

Okay, I am absolutely captivated now...anyone have pic?
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

If you'll send me a private message with an AIM screen name or an email address, i'll send pictures of the finished foam. I'll try to make a picture of the extinguisher, but it's not much to see.

Forum Member

Default foam in extinguishers

I add a product called FireAde 2000 to my 2.5 gallon extinguishers. the product is Ph neutral and have had NO problem with corrosion.

Thread Information