Thread: Human Cones

HNFC FF/President

Default Human Cones

I just got back from a call that came over as Investigate Fumes. We respond in and are told to pull into an auto parts parking lot across from the house. The call was at a house on the White Horse Pike (aka Route 30) Manpower from 29-1 (Magnolia) and my company was very slim so we needed to special call an 8-2 engine (Chews Landing) Camden County Fire Police was called but it took them about 30 min after our reponse to get there (about 10 for them, called 20 min into assignment) Magnolias OIC had us help the police with traffic control. it's a whopping 19 degrees with at wind chill close to or below 0. It was damn cold, not a time to be a human cone.

Oh yeah, the source was a gas meter. A car had hit the meter and failed to report it. How bout that?
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Consider yourself lucky... it's about -25 with the windchill here . Don't you know that the definition of "fire explorer/ junior" is "noun; human traffic cone, hose packer, floor sweeper, hose roller, airpack changer, doer of work that's dirty/hard/cold, brunt of all firehouse jokes, designated cleaner and dishwasher" . As long as you have your gloves and hood on and you're offier switches people around frequently, it ain't that bad and you get used to it quickly.

Default lol

lol. Very well put, SARfreak.
    "DISTRICT 63 FOR LIFE!!" ~Me

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer" ~Thomas Jefferson

When I die, burry me deep. Place the stereo by my feet. Put the speakers by my head, and play for me, some greatful dead.

HNFC FF/President

yeah, very well put. Thing was it was my first long exposure call to the cold. I'll get used to it.

"GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

i know the feeling. we had a call where the whole dept was human traffic cones. it was a semi rollover in the first measurable snowfall of the year. and people were driving entirely too fast for conditions. basically like idiots (gee thats hard to believe but thats something entirely different) and i had my hood, helmet, gloves, bunkers, coat and im all warm and the paramedic wants me to sign a medical release for the semi driver (climbed out and was refusing attention). i didnt feel it was my place to sign the paper and no way was i taking my glove off to sign no stupid paper when the guy should have gone anyways just to get checked out but it was christmas eve and he just wanted to get home to his (unknowingly lucky) family.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

man i was sitting there staring at the title of this thread and swore up and down it said human clones
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Yeah, me too. Lol, if you stare at it long enough, it seems like it.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

hey man what state are u from?
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

HNFC FF/President

are u askin me or WFD where he's from? Ok, well just incase, i'm from New Jersey. Human Cones, not coneheads. They were cool though.

"GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Geez, alot of you guys must have it rough as explorers. Since about ten people joined our post within the last month, I'm the senior guy =D. Our department is really laid-back, and some firefighters trust me more than some of the new ones since I know the trucks and recommened operations guidlines (ROG's). Had a nice little car fire Saturday morning, got all up in that good stuff =D

i have to say that sarfreak said it best.
    FF. EMT-B M. Hesek
    Northborough Fire Dept
    Northborough MA

NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 3rd '99

Thread Information