MembersZone Subscriber

Default Average Strength

Just curious what I should be shooting for with weight training. I'm 6'1" @ 160 lbs. I can't gain wait for nothing. Creatine helps, but it's just water weight.

I'm trying to set goals for my squat and bench. What's ideal for the average FF? I'd like to get 300lb for squat and 200lb for bench. Good? To low? It's hard for me to put on muscle with high metabolism. Would really appreciate feedback. I'm kinda going alone with my training. No one around to help.

mike
    (I would appreciate your own routine so I can make sure I'm including everything I need. thx)

Forum Member

i put up a link on this page that might help a bit with the training... if you are going for firefighting, i would concentrate more on cardio. if you are looking to gain weight, it always depends on your body.. i have almost the exact same body type, but i stopped working out for a couple of months to put on the weight, then turned that added weight into what muscle i could... i have close to the same body type, so that might help. i am about six feet tall and weigh about 178... i was up to 185, but i felt it was alot of fat too. i am now trying to build back up to at least 180.... as of right now i am benching about 240, and can squat almost 300... so your numbers seem about right if that is what you are looking to do. good luck!

Very good goals! My understanding of creatine is that it simply allows muscles to work harder for a longer period of time, thereby increasing strength gains.It works at the cellular level of the muscle fibers, and any water gain should be incidental. The function of creatine is often misunderstood, but5 I believe it is one of the few over the counter products that is generally accepted to work.
    Remember, lift heavy with less reps for strength gains!

Thumbs down Go light on the supplementation

All very respectable goals accept the creatine. Toss that stuff in the trash can the only thing your doing is giving yourself expensive urine. The only supplement you need to be taking in is a protein and only when you can’t get it from a real meal. Take a Multivitamin and drink a ton of water. This will do as much good as overloading your liver with useless “supplements”
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Thumbs down Creatine is a waste of money

Those are all real good goals to set for yourself. In my case I went from being 6'1" 155 lbs. to 6'4" 180 just by eating protein and sticking to a regimented workout. You can go to the store and spend the same amount of money you would on Creatine on Protein packed foods, i.e. eggs, meats, etc. The fact is that all that BS they try to feed you about how creatine will help you get stronger faster is BS in and of its self. The way to increase strength, and body mass is to break up your work out routine into groups for 60 minutes a day..5 days a week. For example, Monday-Chest and triceps...Tuesday-Back and Biceps...Wednesday-Shoulders and Legs...and then the cycle repeats itself. Also devote at least 10 minutes everytime you work out to cardio at the beginning of the workout and at the end. Trust me on this. Also, I have talked to a lot of different FF who are Personal trainers and they all say the 4 most important muscle groups are Shoulders, Legs, Forearms, and Back. Because in the Fire Service those are the primary muscles you will use on the job. Whether it be to raise a 35' extension ladder or throw a 24' by yourself or advance a charged hose line or take the hydrant. Those all use those 4 major muscle groups. That's just my opinion on the subject.

I'm roughly in the same boat. I'm 6'1" and weigh about 150 soaking wet. I've been having a heck of a time trying to gain weight. I've decided that I'm done messing around, and it's time to get my act together. I've signed up for the "Body for Life Challenge" along with a few co-workers, and I'm hoping to succeed. I'm not looking to get HUGE, just to a good, built, comfortable size, and most importantly... get in shape. They have a lot of good suggestions on their site: Body For Life

What the other guys have said about the supplements is right on the money. Creatine is not worth it. In fact, I've heard it can even be bad for you (I've heard rumors of kidney failure). Protein shakes are very beneficial... especially if you drink a good sized one within two minutes of working out, supposedly that will help you gain muscle faster. Anyway, good luck, and let me know what works for you... I may be interested in trying it.

Default little late...

As far as goals or benchmarks for weight training, I personally think being able to bench your weight 10X is respectable. Granted I shoot for much more than that, but it is a stepping stone deal. I'm probably just under 1.5X my weight on bench. Used to be right at 1.5, but now I'm heavier! Squats come a little easier for me, I'm 5'8", prolly 5'6" under the squat bar, so I don't have far to go. Right now I'd prolly max out at 2.25X my weight, maybe a little more on a good day. All I've been doing lately in the gym is powerlifts and olympic lifts; bench, squat, deadlifts, cleans, clean and jerk. Next day I either run bleachers or 3 mi.. The next day which is a shift day, I usually put some CPAT or Challenge events together to work on FD specificity. Rinse and repeat.

If you want power and mass (weight), stick with basic compound movements like the powerlifts. Isolating your biceps to make your sleeves tighter won't make you strong like it sounds like you want to be. Yes, your arms will be bigger. Would you build a mansion in a swamp? No, you want a strong solid foundation. Build that, then build the mansion. The other cool thing is that very rarely will you have to wait on a power rack at the gym, because everyone is too busy at the preacher bench to notice it. If there is someone there, you have a new friend, because they "get it" too.

As far as supplementation, creatine works. I recover faster, feel stronger, and it makes me stay hydrated better. It isn't that expensive, used to be much higher. It isn't protein, but it comes from meat and has to do with energy production and usage at the cellular level. You can get it from eating, just be prepared to be there awhile, I think there are 5 grams (serving size) in 2.65 pounds of steak. I'm a BIG carnivore, but that is a bit much. But it isn't for everyone. Some people don't like to take it. Everyone is right on about taking protein though. Muscles won't rebuild themselves larger without it.

Whatever you do, concentrate on incremental progression, not so much on big goals. Add a little to each lift from the last week. Maybe just a few pounds. Hell that's why they make the 2.5 pound plates. Tape a penny to each plate if you have to, it's more than you did last time! Be moving forward, make progress. Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you stand still!

Gotta go, the stadium awaits...

edit: have a link, http://www.powerandintensity.com/nut...us_protein.cfm
    Last edited by MrFreeze; 03-19-2003 at 09:16 PM.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Got taller?

Firefighter1906, you are the first person that I have ever heard of that got taller by working out and eating protein, 3 inches nontheless. I'm not sure if the two are related. Creatine does work but I didn't really think that it was worth it either. You do feel a difference when you work out but I didn't like the 15 pounds that I gained. I now just take a protein supplement. I blend the powder with juice and frozen fruit to make a "smoothie". Fire departments don't usually require a bench press to get on the job but police tests do. I believe a male has to bench 110% of his weight. So for a 160 lb male, you would have to bench 176lbs. Your goals are definately in the ballpark but take it slowly. If you belong to a gym, sit down with a trainer and tell him what your goals are. They can come up with a weight training regimen and diet to meet your needs.

Thread Information