Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Next Question

Ok this is more of a thought provoking question, there may be more than one correct answer!

You and a partner are the first search team to enter the building. You notify command that you are entering on a right hand lead, and proceed into the building. It is a residential home, 1 story ranch. You are searching for the fire and any victims. You have come in the front door and searched about 15 feet in down a hallway. You have not yet located any windows or doors other than the one you came in. Command radios you that you need to evacuate the build, there has been a collapse and the front door is now blocked! Also fire is now showing through the roof. What steps do you take to get out?

Remember there might be more than one way to handle this. Think before you answer.
    B Holmes

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I would... give my position over the radio, request that the RIT be deployed, and get as close to an outside wall as possible while trying to find a window. Should a window be found, inform command and get out of it. Make sure the RIT knows you're out, or you'll be going in after them.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Lightbulb Escape and Survival- Keep Your Head

We were taught when you are trapped the first thing to consider is conserving your air supply before you try to escape. Once you have taken care of that by skip-breathing or simply breathing slower you can consider your escape route. We were taught to prevent disorientation you crawl in a straight line with the knee meeting the hand (In this case the right knee will meet the right hand when crawling foreward). You will make all right hand turns into rooms.(You turn wichever way that you are searching Right hand -right turns left hand- left turns). Once you have entered a room feel above you for windows. If you find one you can straddle the sill (After opening the window- Duh!)and activate your PASS device (I know everyone uses them and turns them on-- always ). If you can't find a window or a door to escape through-don't panic. In the worst case scenario If I felt I was about to pass out or I just couldn't find my way out I would lie agianst a wall horizontal to the wall and activate my PASS device. Then I would shine my flashlight on the ceiling.

If you have a hoseline to follow remember- smooth bump bump leads the way to the pump!! Male leads home female leads to fire !!

If U have a radio we use "Mayday" three successive times so that it will be heard. All traffic is cleared except command and the personnel calling "mayday" this is for emergencies only. Try to give command your position as best you can- IF U remember what side U are on ( A side, B Side etc.) good-give that to command.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets go, where are the answers. Is this one to tough for you?
    B Holmes

i would probably do the same a WFDJR.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

Forum Member

Give the MAYDAY! You want everyone to know exactly what is wrong and where you are. Tell command how much air you have left, and what you are planning on doing. Get the FAST truck coming in to get you, even if you have to cancel the mayday, better safe than sorry. Turn on your PASS, keep your light on the ceiling.
    Last edited by Irons6789; 11-21-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

resqgirl nicely put, damn that one i actually had to think , ouch my head hurts.

Thread Information