Forum Member

Question Glove Keepers/ Glove Straps

Some of the members on my dept. have asked me to purchase "glove keepers" or "glove straps". I need some input on which ones are the best, or even if any other dept's even use them. A few members on my dept. don't even know what they are. Are they a good thing or not? Thanks for any help.

Jeff
    Jeff Matthews
    Freeport Fire & Rescue
    Station 900
    Firefighter / EMT-I
    AHA BLS Instructor
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

I have the galls brand glove keeper the are inexpensive and hiold up really good, We use them because they save alot of wear and tear on the turnout gear pockets.

Robert.G

http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProduc...jsp?item=GL185

MembersZone Subscriber

I have one of the glove straps, I beleive from Galls and I really like it. I use one on turn out gear and one on my wildland gear. It makes it a lot easier to get your gloves in a hurry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no idea where mine were purchased. I highly reccommend them. I have mine attatched to my belt. They keep my pocket space available for my small hand tools, door wedges etc.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my glove strap from ebay just about a year ago. I couldn’t be happier with it. The guy claims to be a firefighter......

Here's a link to his last auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=752948823

Here's a link to the galls gloves that look to be about the same thing:
    http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProduc...jsp?item=GL185

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Heck no to Velcro!

I have lost gloves while using the Velcro type straps and will never again use that type. I now use a keeper that is made of a loop of cord and a sliding spring loaded bead (like on duffel bag draw strings). Unfortunatly I picked them up at a trade show and have no idea where to get more of them. This one however has lasted me seven years.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Which velcro strap did you have?
    Like I said, been in some pretty interesting situations with mine and never had any trouble. There are a few guys in my company that had the type you are talking about and most of them converted to the velcro type after seeing mine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cheif Supply has them for a buck less than Galls. http://www.cheifsupply.com/gloves_strap.phtml
    I have been using one for about a month. I had some concerns about possibly losing gloves but so far no problems. I like having my pockets free for other things.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.thefirestore.com has the velcro style glove holders. They sell for 3.99.

Forum Member

I'v e been using a "glovekeeper" for over 4 years now, haven't lost them yet!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

For me, necessity was the mother of invention, so I made my own. I used a leather lanyard, doubled up and threaded through the bottom clip on my coat, between the rivits, not the actual part where the the "D" ring hooks into the clasp. Then I slid one of those plastic spring loaded beads on and up, and knotted the 2 free ends together at the bottom. Put the gloves in the loop, slide the bead down against the gloves and they cinch up against the knot. Works great, holds gloves tight and when it wears out, a new piece of leather lanyard and you are all set. You can get the leather lanyard in a shoe store, it's really nothing more than a leather shoelace, and those little spring beads I get at a store called Eastern Mountain Sports, which is like an outdoors equipment store, mountain climbing, camping, etc. Any better sporting goods store that sells that kind of stuff, rope, stuff like that should have this item. Just make sure you buy a big enough one that will let both ends of the lanyard through. I could see where those Velcro(tm) jobs would wear out and lose their "Velcroness". Thats me, low budget Leroy. After all, I ain't a Capt., right Gonz?
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

Leroy...as a newly minted LT, you must have gotten a raise...so treat yourself a splurge a little! LOL
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I've used the velcro glove holder for the last 4 or 5 years with no problems at all. I would think that if you routinely inspected the glove holder with the rest of your gear, it would be easy to determine if the velcro was wearing out. If they are, hell, for $3.99 you can't go wrong.

I appreciate the effort that leroy has shown in making his own, but he must have a lot more time on his hands than I do.

Good Day!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

Like alot of other firefighter's I use my pockets for many things. Gloves are not one of them. When I was a rookie they were stashed in my pockets and I couldn't get to any of the tools that I was told I needed to carry. So when I bought me a new pair of gloves I ordered the Velcro strap to go along with this. The strap has been through several calls and even a long burn weekend at the state fire academy and nothing has bothered it yet. I have never had to worry about where my gloves were and they are easy to get to right on the left side of my chest. I have it hooked to a D ring that hold my flash light and other apparatus. It never seems to get in my way. Do have to watch out for it when leaning over to pic up a pt on a long spine board. If you have the head end face it tends to hit them in the face.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

Default Go Velcro!

I have used both the velcro and the slip closure versions of the glove keepers. I prefer the velcro as you can quickly release your gloves and it doesn't leave a loop to catch on debris when you are doing a search. Also, I could not get used to the lanyard, having to stop and waste time getting it to loosen enough to free the gloves. As long as you inspect the velcro it won't lose your gloves and it lasts a good while. Very nice to always know where your gloves are, and it gives them a chance to dry somewhat instead of molding up a pocket.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i have two different types that i use. first one i bought in baltimore at the expo and the other one i made. it's a short section of a belt with the plastic buckle keeping it locked. the one i bought has velcro and haven't had any problems with it.

definatly something worth buying. only problem i have ran into with them is when it rains. the water seems to like to collect inside the glove. guess that's what pockets are for.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Default VELNO

Damn I hate Velcro. That big ole strip on the front of my turnouts loves to grab my glove strap, helmet strap and fuzzy mask bag. I tried the slide type glovekeepers too and didn't care for the dangling gloves. Finally back to stuffing them in my pants pockets.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default glove keepers

Reading all of the responses reminded me of growing up in Iowa and always losing my mittens. My folks tried a variety of different "attachment options" for my mittens, funny thing is: They were called "Idiot Strings".

Take care and be safe........

Default Glove Strap

I made my glove strap a few years ago by taking an old Milwaukee style helment strap and cutting each strap shorter, and threading one side through the buckle on the other. I hooked it onto the clip on my pants and it works great. Cost was 0, they are out of the way, and easy to reach when needed.

Darrin

Forum Member

I just simply have a clip that I clip on to the loops on my gloves, and I clip onto the waist tightening strap on my pants, the gloves won't fall off, they will dry better, and you don't even have to worry about hitting a pt with them!
    -Kris

I use a velcro strap and haven't had any problems. I have the other type too - got it at a trade show.

My only concern with velcro is the possibility of melting the fuzzy side, which I have done on my coat when the throat strap came loose and the top was peeled back slightly. I keep my glove holders where my suspenders attach to my pants, so when kneeling down in a fire fight, the coat covers them, offering protection from melting.

Forum Member

The non-velcro glove holder some posts referred to has several advantages - most importantly, it won't open unless you physically release the cord lock plus it fits gear with/without D-rings (ring & tension clip included), has a breakaway safety ring (breaks away at 65 lbs. pressure in case you get "hung up"), much higher melting point than velcro (423 degrees F) & it keeps all loose PPE (hood, gloves) together in proper donning order (hood first, gloves last).
    There's over 15 colors to choose from & best of all, they're only 5 bucks!!

If you need to order them, e-mail me @ Firescueguy@aol.com & I can
    provide you with them.

Hope this info helps you out. Stay Safe.

Forum Member

I USED A GLOVE HOLDER BUT WE HAVE THEM SLEEVEMATE GLOVES BY MORNING PRIDE. THEY HAVE PBI AT THE END WITH REFLECTIVE TAPE. I JUST USE A CHEAP 99 CENT CARIBENER KEY CHAIN FROM LOWES. HOLDS THE MASK TO.

Permanently Removed

Default Cheap, easy and...

...NO velcro. Simply buy a $1.50 carabiner
    (what I paid for this little red one) and
    clip your gloves to it with the loop
    holes then right to your coat! You will be
    the shinning star of your firehouse and
    other members will look apon you with
    brillance for you have the neatest gadget!
    PLUS- You can color code all off
    your biners so you know which are yours
    and use the them for other items once
    onscene. (holding IVs, flashlights, etc)
    See picture below. you can find these
    carabiners anywhere, if not, log onto-
    www.rei.com or
    www.rei-outlet.com (cheaper)

-Bou

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-27-2003 at 08:59 PM.

Forum Member

I have both the velcro and the one that Engine5FF was talking about. I use the velcro one for my gloves and the other for my hood. THey are pretty handy. Several guys n my dept. have the velcro straps nd love them.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Thread Information