Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I hate it when people do this.

I guess you can buy your needed union supplies on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33772

Must be one of our "brothers or sisters" trying to make a buck.

Angry

I hate it too.

We ran into a similar situation just 2 weeks ago.
    It seems that a "patch collector" received one of our Department patches (we don't sell them) and now it is on ebay.
    It has been brought to the attention of the Department. It should be an interesting meeting next month when it is brought up for discussion.

Anyone who would "sell" what has to be earned can't really be Brother/Sister. If I need a reflective IAFF
    sticker for my lid, I'll just ask my Union President...who will give it to me!

I wonder how he's going to make sure that the "buyer" is an IAFF member!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you believe some sucker is actually willing to pay $10 for it. And there are still 10 hours to go. I dont know what is worse-somebody putting it on ebay-or someone paying $10 for a 50cent sticker.

Forum Member

Default iaff sticker

Het Truckie
    The guy paid $14.28 for that 50 cent sticker. I wonder if he is an IAFF member?
    GOD BLESS THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE US

Default Re: iaff sticker

Originally posted by 2dresq
    Het Truckie
    The guy paid $14.28 for that 50 cent sticker. I wonder if he is an IAFF member?
    PT Barnum was right.... there's a sucker born every minute!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Re: Re: iaff sticker

Originally posted by Captain Gonzo

PT Barnum was right.... there's a sucker born every minute!
    Aint that the truth?!
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Default Makes me steam

If this person is stupid enough to pay that much for a sticker then let them… Hopefully it won’t end up on this idiot’s car. With the potential to embarrass the Paid Fire Fighters Locals… I don’t know of any Union guys who have to by stickers on ebay.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

i see IAFF stuff on ebay all the time. and people will pay good money for it. Unfortunitly the wrong people get a hold of the stuff and try to make money for it and people will always buy the stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

JCE, I am interested to know why your department does not sell patches. Is patch collecting a bad thing? I have patches from all over the World. Some places I have traveled to get them, some I have acquired by other means, usually mail trading with individuals.

Patch Collecting is a fun hobby, especially traveling to get them. I really don't see why an IAFF Sticker would be such a collector item. It is almost like someone having a PBA sticker or something. It is an organization almost like a business. Not really a direct firefighting agency. Interestingly enough, there are career firefighters in the county I volunteer with (you know, the one stirring all the hate and discontent with R-43) that willingly give IAFF stickers to anyone who asks. Girlfriends, Drinking Buddies, Family Members....and yes, Even Volunteers.

As a Matter of fact, Next time I am offered one or see one being offered to someone. I will post that Firefighters name on this Forum and give his station assignment and a contact # for you to reach him/her. Hopefully you True Union guys can give him/her a buzz and tell them how you feel.....

Originally posted by TillerMan25

As a Matter of fact, Next time I am offered one or see one being offered to someone. I will post that Firefighters name on this Forum and give his station assignment and a contact # for you to reach him/her. Hopefully you True Union guys can give him/her a buzz and tell them how you feel.....
    And I hope you will post the name, station assignment and a contact number of the volunteer who accepts the offer so they can also be told how we feel!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Tillerman25, reread my post.

I said we do not sell them, however we give them to avid colectors hoping that they are kept for just that and not resold for profit.

MembersZone Subscriber

And I hope you will post the name, station assignment and a contact number of the volunteer who accepts the offer so they can also be told how we feel!
    Captain, I think you would be hard pressed to find a volunteer here who would take that offer these days. Although I will still honor that request.

JCE, I usually will buy my patches from companies because it is hard to get my own company patches in bulk like that. I have over 200 patches so far and our Q.M. was getting sick of me coming to him for new patches. SO I usually just buy them. But, If I ever come to Commack NY, I will have patch in hand! BTW< saw some of your apparatus on FDNYTrucks.com, very nice!

Anyone who would "sell" what has to be earned
    Are you not eligible to purchase or receive union items once you have signed the membership application and payroll deduction forms? What more do you have to do to ”earn” the right?

As a former member of the IAFF, am I allowed to display the IAFF paraphernalia I still have from my membership days?

It seems e-bay is a pretty lucrative place for me to be right now, SEE YA!

Peace and stay safe!
    "When I was a child I spoke as a child, understood as a child, thought as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things."

As a former member of the IAFF, am I allowed to display the IAFF paraphernalia I still have from my membership days?

Display, yes... sell... you make your own decision on that. I am sure that there are enough "yahoos" and "wannabees" that will gladly purchase those items from you

If I get "goodies" from the United States Postal Service workers union (I have a few friends who work for the USPS), does that entitle me to sell those items on EBay?

Qustion: If stickers from the PG Volunteer Firefighters Association were sold to anyone and everyone, would you object?
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I don't remember seeing any IAFF stickers (did not really look that close) but I do remember almost 1/4 of the vendors at FireHouse Expo Flea Market selling stickers/decals/patches up the whazoo. On that day, you could buy T-Shirts, flags, patches, etc. just about whatever was wanted. There were an awful lot of people there buying that stuff. Don't remember seeing too many people there checking to see if you were allowed to buy it. Is it Ok to buy all that stuff and display it any way you want, but not Ok for a sticker that says IAFF? Personally, I don't buy any of it. I wear TShirt from my own company and don't have any Calvin Peeing on XXX stickers. I don't see a need for it. Nor would I buy/display a IAFF sticker (or a UAW etc). If you don't belong, why have it? I know a few members of FDNY that were selling shirts to raise money for families of 9-11. I said fine, here's the money, but I didn't take a shirt and would not wear it anyway, I am not in FDNY.

In the end, while I am not part of the IAFF, I agree that people should not be selling IAFF items on EBay or whatever. If you are not part of it, don't buy/wear/display it.

Stay Safe, the fire don't care who you are.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Qustion: If stickers from the PG Volunteer Firefighters Association were sold to anyone and everyone, would you object?
    There is no sense in me worrying about something I can't control, so no, don't make any difference to me!

Peace and stay safe!
    "When I was a child I spoke as a child, understood as a child, thought as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things."

Forum Member

Wow, this looks familiar.

I think the big problem is profit here.

Is it OK for the IAFF to sell their stuff for the good of the IAFF?
    I don't see why not, to me that would be the same as us volunteers selling stuff for the good of our dept.s.

Is it OK for someone, union member or not, to sell the IAFF stuff for their own personal gain? Not at all.

Personally, I would feel a great deal of disrespect if someone was selling stuff from my fire dept. for their own personal gain.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Forum Member

Question: if stickers from the PG Volunteer Fire Association were sold to anyone and everyone, would you object?
    Hey Gonzo, who the heck would want one? But you're right..........

Thread Information