Thread: women in fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb women in fire

I am VERY interested in becoming a firefighter and parameddic. I am a rookie when it comes to this though. what does one have to do to be a firefighter? I am already an EMT, but I am afraid that me being a woman, it will hinder my chances on being on a dept. in terms of stregth and agility. What steps do/should I take in order to maximize my potential? What kind of training should I do? what is the agility test like for those who have gone through it? Can someone help me in acheiving this goal?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi. There are many women in the fire service today. You just have to train hard like anyone else. Most men in the fire service have no problems with female firefighters. Your EMT status will help you a lot. Don't let it expire. You should get on a good strength training program with someone who knows what they are doing. If you know any FF's ask them if they can help you or know someone that could. As far as training, get whatever you can. You could possibly go ahead and try and get in a Firefighter 1 class (if your state has Firefighter 1). Also, try to join a volunteer dept. that's nearby for experience and training. If you're to young to join, see if they have an explorers program for your age. Hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow

Hey... Look at some men's fitness magazines. Strange as it sounds, there are some REALLY helpful articles in there. I had a post on "women in firefighting" forum... One reply suggested more training on upper body strength due to women's already (typically) strong legs...

Good Luck!!

Forum Member

i don't know if the same is true where you are located, but here in New Mexico i have been told that if you are a female and can pass the CPAT and other tests you will automatically get in. Female firefighters are in VERY short supply most places and i believe that as long as you can do everything needed for the job and will not endanger yourself or others you should have no problem getting into a department. good luck!

as far as training goes, i have heard that circuit training along with LOTS of cardio goes a long way. i have just changed from a weight and size gaining workout to a firefighting workout.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to say upper bodywork out is going to be most important. You’re not always going to be able to use your legs when pulling someone out of a fire, and then it is all upper body.

I would also ask any local departments if they can tell you all of the requirements of there Physical assessment test, so that you know what the standards are, but shoot for above and beyond, because some day it could be yours or someone else’s life that is on the line.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I dont fully agree with Intraining, I am also from NM, in my dept we only have two ladies, and more would be welcome. BUT you will have to pass all the tests and interview etc, just being a female will not gaurantee acceptance, having said that two candidates who have equal scoring in all fields then the gal will have the edge. My advice to you is to study like hell and achieve the highest scores that you can get, so many of the candidates I see lose valuable points through lack of preparation.

Good luck, I wish you success.

Forum Member

protomkv: i never stated that females would automatically get in, what i said was," as long as they pass the CPAT and associated tests it is guaranteed that a woman will have the opportunity to join the fire department."

Basically what i meant is that if two people were trying out for AFD, one male, one female, AS LONG AS SHE PASSED THE TESTS the female would get chosen based on the fact that there are not many in the dept. as of right now. That is what i was told by firefighters who work at our local fire academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Weight loss

I am looking for a weight loss - muscle toning program

Can anyone help

Forum Member

Thumbs up Good for you!

Hello there Yeah, I completely agree with that.. I takes a lot of courage for a female to go into the fire department to be a firefighter. Well done!
    Firefighters are beneficial to every community with the wealth of information they have!

They don't get enough praise, for the information and skills they know! It could save your life one day!!!!!

Forum Member

Wink

We have noticed in physical ability testing that females in particular lack upper body strength. This shows in the ladder raise event. This event consists of raising a 28 foot extension ladder that is bolted to the wall of our climbing tower. The requirements are to raise the fly section fully and lower it without the rope slipping. If you are prepared by strengthening these muscles, you will not have difficulty in this event. Remember, raising ladders is part of our job.
    As far as looking for a career, check out fire-emsjobs.chesterfield.gov. We are testing this August, so apply now.
    Krisbie1112, check your e-mail. I sent you an address of someone you can talk to in our Department who can give you advice. Good luck in your search!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chesterfield

If you are talking about Chesterfield, Va - Great place - Great Department. I have some friends there. I attended a Technical Rescue School there and my brother was a police officer there for a year. If my brother had stayed there I would have been there. I was signed up for the test and everything.

TAKE THE TEST !

They are tough in the academy though! So be ready

Forum Member

Wink

Yes, Chesterfield, Virginia. ResQFF, thanks for the compliments. As to our academy, yes it is tough, but so are our recruits when they graduate. Firefighting and EMS work is a tough business, so we expect that our personnel be capable. As ResQFF said, TAKE THE TEST! Spend the best 25 years of your life with us!

Default Young female in training

I am a teenager female firefighter. I am a member of a volunteer company and i have gained respect by showing the older male members that i can do just as well of a job as they can. If am unable to do something i have no trouble asking for help, and i get it. If there is anyone out there who is questioning becoming a female firefighter go for it. It is great experiecnce and you can do it, don't be intimadated by all the "Buff and Tuff" males out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard you have to have a VA drivers license to apply for Chesterfield. Is this true??

Also, everyone talks about upper body strength - but don't forget to work on your legs also. I took a modified version of the CPAT and found by the end my legs were extremely fatigued. You'll need to work on your quads and glutes for hose pulls and dummy drags. So, don't get so wrapped up in benching and pull-ups that you forget to work those legs!! Try running stairs with a weighted backpack - it really helps with cardio also.

Forum Member

Wink

onlyredtrucks, you do not have to have a VA driver's license to apply for Chesterfield. You just have to have a clean driving record and able to get a VA license. Apply by June 19 to be eligible for the August test. By the way, Chesterfield has yellow trucks. Is that going to be a problem?

MembersZone Subscriber

yellow trucks might be a problem.... But, thats ok - thanks for the info...I'm going to send in an application anyway. Virginia is worth it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Besides being physically fit, it wouldn't hurt to talk to some firefighters and get some practice with some of the equipment. We have to complete our physical agility test (the same test for new hires) every year. I have found that yes you need to be fit, yet not necessarily the most fit if you can get the skills down. For example, as far as physical fitness goes I'm probably at the bottom half of the middle for the guys and gals on our department, I also smoke (I know.... slow suicide); yet I had the fastest time. I attribute this to being more proficient in the techniques and not necessary the strongest. How compentant are you at taking the plug, have you learned to proper mechanics of swing the hammer at the sled, or able to don and doff you airpack efficiently and quickly? I've seen a lot of the most physically fit guys get lowsy times due to mis-threading a hydrant cap, or not getting the helmet adjusted right after donning their mask to go through the maze, or getting confused while trying to unknot the hallard. So my advice is get in shape, but also try to get some experiance and practice with the actual tools and skills you will be using during the test. Oh and don't forget the all important oral board.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have an idea where you are likely to apply, find out exactly what the hiring process entails.

When it comes to fitness, work on overall fitness, but also train specifically for the events in the agility test that you will be taking. Sometimes technique is more important than brute strength.

Work on your test-taking skills. Too many people read too much into questions on hiring/promotional/certification exams. If you need help in this regard, any college or university (and some high schools) will have someone who can help you out.

Good luck!
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information