Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question other unionized members ??

Got a question? How do everyone feel about unionized members volunteering or getting paid to do the work of unionized members but could do nothing about it? contract agreement but didn't expect other brothers to do this.
    eg: teachers,ppl working for the same employer not in same union. rcmp members

Not quite getting your question Tanner, could you try explaining it again?

Well smoke its like this. we are a unionized fire dept who have a contract saying volunteers will assist us. But the question is do you think that it is right for other union brothers/sisters volunteer to do the work of the unionized members. note they get paid for their service. Think about it.( no chance for more full-time employment or bargaining power while they are there.)

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Who was there first? Vols or career? Were there vols there when you started? Did you bitch at the interview or just take the job?

Interesting question Tanner, and just a couple of questions in return. What is the position of the Govening body for your municpality and secondly, what is the position of the other unions that these people belong to. If there is no contrevention of any collective agreement and the governing body has in fact by agreement themselves allowed this action to take place ( including any labour laws of your province), then the only way to circumvent it is through your union and bargaining..At least that's my read on it

OK, I understand you now Tanner. If I am not mistaken in Tanners case his dept was until fairly recently 100% paid,then the municipality in there wisdom decided it would be a good (i.e. cheaper) idea to provide volunteers as a back-up. And personally Tanner, in your particular instance I think you are right, other unionized workers who volunteer in your comunity are not showing solidarity with their union brothers. Dare say the ugly "S" word?

If any of the information I have provided is incorrect Tanner please feel free to correct it, and me

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

If they were full paid first I'd say you have a huge gripe. How does Canada's version of the AFL-CIO work? The case is usually reversed in the States with paid guys supplementing vols gradually and the only jobs that are ever lost are those that don't yet exist.

Thanks for the reply on my behalf. Been in negotiations.

Smoke.... has summed it up to the point.The big problem is that the brothers that are volunteers now, are out trying to get more ppl to volunteer. We dont think that that is right. We are at the bargaining table now with a stumbling block, no one wants to move and there is no alternative for this. But the municipallity keeps bringing the vollies into the pic.Now do you see how things get heated up.

Tanner, the thing I find hard to understand is why tax payers who have been receiving fully paid fire service for years would be willing to volunteer in the first place

So true smoke.The tax payer can pay for full fire protection through property tax and alot less insurance for their homes because they have a full time fire dept in their town,or city to respond without delays.

Next time I'm in The big City I will be dropping in to see the guys.

LOL, we don't often get referred to as the big city, but c'mon by whenever you get out this way, we have seven locations for your visiting convenience.

thanks smoke... will do.

Talking

*I'm not trying to open a can of worms with this one, it's just my opinion*

I really do not see why everybody is opposed to support by volunteers in the same city/town by paid firefighters. If I am correct, you are opposed to paid members volunteering in the proposed volunteer dept.- I am not a firefighter, but a cadet, and I strive to become a firefighter because I know it is a job where I can really make a positive impact on the community - I'm not intending to become a firefighter to earn a lot of cash! As far as unionized members becoming volunteer firefighters, I can understand that other unionized members may be opposed but I don't think it's such a bad idea. It would not interfere with their paid shifts (as I would imagine they will not sign up for a volunteer shift if they are going to be on paid duty on the same day) and I think it shows a real dedication and desire to help people.
    I can understand that the union is looking out for the best interests for their members, but if they want to volunteer, I really don't see the harm.

Maybe I've missed the whole point here, so any feedback or opinions related to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys! Take care and stay safe!

firecadet911

Ok, I totally missed the point here!!! I was just reading over the reply I posted and the previous replies, and I totally missed what was happening!!! (Feel like a dork over here!!)

Sorry for wasting your time guys!

Take care and stay safe!

firecadet911

Oh , dont worry about that firecadet, we've all felt like Dorks a time or two, well maybe except for LadyCapn

update ...

Well talks broke off. Municipality wants to train more auxiliaries to do our job and the all we will have to do is drive the truck and hope they show up. Real win,win aproach to fire protection. All I can say is that those who are in big seats dont have a clue when it comes to understanding the way things operate, all they look at is the more ppl they can get to replace full time positions. Hope we don't get anymore unionized brothers with knives applying, so they can stab us in the back like the others are doing.

Forum Member

Tanner, you may want to contact the Ontario Professional Firefighters Association and get some information about the Sudbury inquest. Not exactly the same situation but it may provide some ammunition.

Smoke, careful, you are making me blush here.

Thanks LadyCapn will do that.

As always LadyCapn, you are a font of useful information

Thread Information