Thread: Foam Pro

Question Foam Pro

What experience and thoughts on TFT Foam Pack? We are interested in adding a Class A foam to our initial attack line for structure fires. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Forum Member

Adding a Foam Pro to your attack line? Not a chance! The Foam Pro is a fairly large bulky unit with a short hose, and 2.5 gallons of foam in the box. The unit is not built for pressure. The unit isn't built for interior attack. The way to go would be foam capabilities added directly to the pump of the apparatus. (http://www.piercemfg.com/foamsystems..._municipal.cfm)

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Have to agree with mark440 on this one. If you want foam on the initial attack line, it is better to do it from the pump. You would need to determine if the extra cost involved is outweighed by potential benefits for property conservation.

We carry a Foam Pro on our Quint strictly for overhaul purposes, and find it to be very effective. Especially for that stubborn attic insulation.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Absolutely have to agree on this one. The Pro-pak only flows, I think, about 10 gpm or so. Not for initial attack. We have found it to be an excellent tool for overhaul, vapor supression on SMALL flammable spills, and on some stubborn small fires (tree fires, brush and grass fires, stuff that poses no real threat). A handy little item for the proper applications.

Last edited by fireflyer; 06-30-2003 at 06:22 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi,

On the subject of denko foam products...... You should be aware that NONE of there products carry any approvals from any rating or testing agency or the USCG (for biodegradeable). We had put a req in for some replacement of foam and this time they bought us some of there product (we have always used national products before)because it was cheaper. When we inquired with the mfg on some info they told us that testing would cost to much and thats why they had not done so. I know many people will say they are using there product with good results but I for one don't want to be the one testing there product and find out the hard way there may be a problem. By the way if you do any research on the company there main line is janitorial cleaning supplies. After we brought all of this to our boards attention they decided that we will stick with the national products and we are going to use this stuff for training the operators of our new foam unit due in soon.

Captain
    Engine 2472
    Foam Unit

"Just A Foam Call Away"
    Last edited by captain247; 01-28-2003 at 04:18 PM.

District Chief

The use of Class A foam for aid in extinguishing fire is not and should not be a "4-letter word." It is very effective and should be considered.

With that being said....

The Foam Pro is a foam metering system made by Hale. I think you are talking about the TFT ProPack. It carries about 2.5 gallons of foam and comes with various attachments that will provide different expansion ratios. It is effective on auto fire as well as in the suppression of brush fire and has been used for exposure protection. It can be used on either 1.5" or 1" lines. If metering at .1% the unit will flow foam for about 208 minutes when full and discharging at a rate of 12-14 GPM.

For more information on Foam I suggest you contact you local Foam dealer as well as your local TFT dealer and ask for a demonstration of the unit.

For excellent advice on foam and appliances contact jimcott@aol.com He is the president of Cottrell and Associates. He is considered by most as an expert in that business.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

We have that TFT "Yellow 2.5 Gallon Foam Thing". I whole heartedly agree with everyone else. If there is something significant on fire, don't bother. It may be helpful for brush or overhaul. But for a working car fire or anything bigger than a shrub, don't use it.

Although I have to say it was fun playing when we got it. We put the "medium expansion" barrel nozzel on it and set it for 6%. We burried an entire scrap drill car in foam. It was pretty cool but the flow isn't enough for a major fire attack.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Hi all,

captstanm1, just for the record FoamPro is made by a Hypro Corporation. AND should never be mistaken for the FoamMaster that is made by Hale. They are similar in operation but the FoamPro is of much better quality far superior.

As far as firefighting and Class "A" foam goes, the foam simply makes the water more efficient. If CAFS is being used then the efficiency is far better than foam being applied through a fog or aspirated nozzle.

Be safe.

Capt. Lou
    "Got Foam?"

Thread Information