Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Should there be a National Junior Fire Rescue Squad???

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

4 28.57%
  • No!

2 14.29%
  • Maybe!

3 21.43%
  • Who Cares!

5 35.71%
  • I would like to be in it!

4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb National Junior Fire Rescue Squad???

Is there or should there be a national junior fire rescue suad/dept.?
    I think there should be... what do you think.

David EMT-B
    King George Vol. Fire Rescue Inc. Member
    Dahlgren Junior Rescue Capt.

What would this national fire thing be and do? More details please...

Nate Green
    B.C. Post 264
    Anchorage Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber gordoffemt's Avatar

Question Huh

I don't get it. What and why and who would care?
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

i have no idea, i think mrice would care.

MembersZone Subscriber fyrfyter33's Avatar

Shouldn't there at least be a federal fire department before we start worrying about juniors/explorers? We already have numerous federal rescue teams under FEMA. (The USAR teams, like OH-TF-1 (Ohio Task Force 1)).

Post Extra Info

What I mean is that if there was like a junior response team under FEMA and other programs. Does that make sense?

Dave

In a word: No. Why? Because you're juniors. It takes years and years and more years to learn USAR/WSAR or DR opperations. I've been at it for 5 years and there's still stuff to learn. Most adolescents don't have the capacity to learn all of the stuff that goes on in SAR ops, much less be part of a national response group. There are guys I've been working with who've been teaching SAR for 20 or more years and two of them just last year got an invitation to join a FEMA team. These are military guys who's lives are devoted to SAR, not just some Joe Shmoe off the street. FEMA doesn't want a bunch of kids, they want seasoned professionals.

If you'll kindly take a look at previous threads in this forum, you'll notice that most departments don't take kindly to letting juniors get out of school for calls/be part of casualty recovery/corpse sit/do interior attack/play with dangerous stuff. Now, how do you think FEMA's gonna respond if you ask to be shipped overseas to do rubble search and recovery in hazardous environments for weeks at a time? I think you can answer that question.

Now, if you wanna scale it down a little, you can do SAR missions for the USAF. Search for downed aircraft and missing persons and electronic searches for emergency location transmitters, sure go ahead. Go join the Civil Air Patrol cadet program, have fun at the National emergency services academy, Hawk Mtn Ranger school, MA wing ground search and rescue school, Middle East Region Search and Rescue College, or any of the plethora of SAR schools. You'll learn a whole lot, save you're government a few million dollars a year and do some cool stuff. Like I said before, though, it takes time and dedication to fully understand SAR ops and acquire enough knowledge and experience to be good at it. I've studied so much in the past five years that I can teach DF ops in my sleep (err... half asleep anyway), but there's still another few years of study to go before I can move from being a ground team member to being a ground team leader. This ain't fun and games, guys, this is the real schtuff. Doing WSAR/USAR will expose you to more danger and gore than routine firefighting. I'd take a structure fire over a plane crash any day of the week, but if you're serious about it, get in gear and start studying and practicing now.

Exclamation ???

That is bias. Not to mention it could be mistaken as an insult. I have an EMT-B cert. right now. Given my squad status we have a crap load of CTs and EMTs but that is only about a 1/3 of the Seniors. The Juniors are ALL going{or currently have} for FR,EMT,EVOC,HAZ-MAT,S&R, and FF1 classes to be finished in the next year. To say Adolesents to have the whatever to meet national standards... I would put my Junior squad against any senior squad, call for call.

I would put my Junior squad against any senior squad, call for call.
    Bring 'em on. In NJ, you would be violating State law. Under 18 is not allowed to be EMT.

But seriously, keep up the training, it will never hurt.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

not every one lives in NJ, i like the idea, and in wisconsin there are some departments were you can be a fire fighter or first responder when you are 16.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

Thread Information