Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

My department responds from home or work for all calls. Only Chief Officers are supposed to go directly to the scene. Everybody else goes to the station to staff the rigs.

Does anyone else think that accidents involving POVs responding to fire stations is a trial lawyer's dream come true?

I would bet that it would only take a few of these lawsuits before duty crews became the norm for many volunteer departments.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

We are fully volunteer and proud of it. Everyone responds from thier homes or places of work. Of course that is how it is run in most of the county anyway. There is one department that is still fully vollie that mans three stations and runs at least 4 calls a day. I don't know how they do it?

Cool

Well where I just left from (Due to Uncle Sam)(large military town) we was a full volunteer department, On good days was lucky to have 5-6 people show up. Members with pagers. On a bad day when you could only get 2-3 to show up we relied on mutial aid, and most of the time they was in the same shape as we were for personell but we always seem to make it work. We done alot of inter-departmental training, learning each other's trucks ect.....but when it come down to it we put the wet stuff on the red stuff

Forum Member

My dept. is only manned on Saturday and Sunday from 8 am to 4 pm both days. We train on Monday nights. The guys that work the weekend are paid. They do things like wash trucks, check fire hydrants, etc. This enables us to have a real training meeting. We have been doing this for the past 4 years and it has worked extremely well for us.

I think alot of your small communities and large combo departments work with pagers. I come from a combo department, and our problem is inadequate vols. They are of an older generation, and aren't physically fit to work a fire ground. And then to top things off the younger generation "generation X" is finally of working/marriage age they don't want to spend their time vol. They would rather spend time with family, golfing, etc. and to top things off most jobs will not let them off work..
    And who in their Right mind would want to keep up on the required hrs for NREMT-B. 130hrs of training if not more with clinicals.....
    Just somthing to think about!

Thread Information