Thread: What is Better

Default What is Better

Which is better. Jr's or Exploering

We might be going to exploers but i dunno. My one question was that are we going to keep the same rules and my LT said yes we are the only thing we are getting is the Exploerer weekend. What do u think about it?
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Forum Member

i was about to become a JR and im just wondering what the difference is between the two?

Explorers are a branch of the BSA, kinda like venture crews. They have a whole heck of a lot of rules and you have to pay annual boyscout dues. I think I'm gonna stick with juniors on this one.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah but............Explorers also have a huge insurance policy in case one of them is injured or killed, and the rules aren't as restrictive as one might think. As for being a jr. if you are killed/injured your department is the party held responsible for what has occurred.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

As for being a jr. if you are killed/injured your department is the party held responsible for what has occurred.
    If you get injured, you were probably doing something either out of your capability range or just plain stupid, and if you knowledgably did it, knowing you were not capable or that it was stupid, you probably deserved it.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

There are accidents and situations where you have no control over what happens. You could be the "perfect" firefighter and do everything "perfect" and still get killed or injured.

Export V.F.D.

Which is why your FD also has huge insurance policies in place... same thing as the BSA, ya just don't have to pay yearly dues.

Forum Member

Yeah, what SARfreak said. 22, it's called sarcasm.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

Stick with the junior program. I'm in an Explorer post for EMS and its more or less all the same. With explorers you have to pay annual dues although they're only 7 dollars as opposed to the 35 that Boy Scouts have to pay (I'm an Eagle Scout). You also need two registered leaders at every function which can be a problem sometimes. In addition, if you have any female members, you need to have at least one female leader. So in your case (I'm somewhat familar with your department) I'd recommend the Junior program.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

I would say that both Jrs and explorers have the good things and bad things. Just be thankful that you can do one or the other and have the opportunity to learn about firefighting at such a young age.

Nate Green
    B.C. Post 264

Forum Member

I think Jrs. because you don't have to deal with the BSA and there rules because there rules are a national standard however JRs, run by a fire dept. still have the very important insurance but allows you to do what ever your dept. allows as long as if fits in with the NFPA rules. Think about who would you want telling you would you could and couldn't do the National Boy scout council or the local fire chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why doesn't everyone think about this, if you are a jr or in a jr program, I would say anyone gets seriously hurt/injured, you can kiss your program goodbye. No Fire dept or gov't agency is gonna let something bad happen twice.

Station32,
    There is a committee that makes the rules for Fire Explorers. The head of the comittee is a very well respected NFPA member and is the President of the IAFC. Him and others high ranking officials in different Fire Service Organizations decide what explorers are and are not allowed to do. Currently, we are working with him to get rule changes, and have already successfully, got the Ok for explorers to participate in conrolled live burns, with certain conditions.

Jun18ior, you only need one leader at any given explorer function, not two. usually we try to have two, but that is not always possible, or sometimes feasible, so one is sufficient. During our weekly meetings, usually only one Advisor shows up.

Forum Member

Some people prefer being Explorers, some prefer being Juniors. I personally would rather be a Junior, because I'm not too much of a fan of the BSA, and as a Junior, we get to do lots more than Explorers (well, it varys from department to department). But, like I said, it's all about personal preference.

Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

fyrfyter33,

Per BSA's Youth Protection Guidlines, there is a 2-deep leadership policy. This clearly states that you are not allowed to have any funtion or meeting with only one leader. At least 2 REGISTERED leaders/advisors must be present. Any advisor who conducts meetings by him or herself is setting himself up for trouble. (When it comes to BSA rules and regs feel free to question me, but just know that I am very active on the District and Council level and know what I'm talking about.

Take a look at the post by NJFFSA16 about the Child molesting advisor and have your advisor read it. No one needs to be accused of something like that. All it takes is one explorer to not like your advisor to accuse him of something like this. Having a second advisor present helps avoid problems like this. (I'm not trying to be an antagonizer, I just don't want anyone to go to jail for something they didn't do)
    Last edited by Jun18ior; 02-01-2003 at 01:12 PM.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

The thing is that we will be under the Explorer name but to us and everyone we are going to stay Jrs. Keepin the same rules that we had as jrs. We are not losing anything. But we are gaining the explorer weekend thingy
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Just have fun and dont worry about what you are called, because the name is the biggest difference between the two programs. Enjoy your intros to the fire service.
    Last edited by Irons6789; 11-21-2007 at 03:17 AM.

You said it!!!! WHO REALLY CARES Just be glad you have the opportunity to be in either jrs or explorers..

Nate Green
    B.C. Post 264

Thread Information