Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why 21

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Why 21

Why is it that you can go to fight a war at the age of 17 with the marines but you are unable to take most tests for firefighting until the age of 21. And why can you get your medic at the age of 18 and not a job w/ a department until your 21

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess it's a lot like everything else, it just depends on where you live. Both ambulances I work for have several EMTs under 21 and a few medics under it. Not many medics I've seen under 21 to tell the truth, but they are out there. I haven't noticed the trend so much in the area fire departments. A lot of the vollies, including my department, have young guys, but not so much the paid departments. The only reason I can think of off the top of my head is insurance reasons. I know our FD insurance won't cover anyone under 21 driving apparatus as one of their restrictions, but nothing about performing other job duties.

Because most agencies hiring firefighters can be selective in who they hire, and they can't provide the close supervision & discipline of the Marines so they want more mature individuals then your typical 18 year old. Setting the higher minimum age is just one way, like civil service exams, they limit the pool of candidates they have to review since there will still be more than enough qualified candidates.

Frankly, most of the career people I know got hired in the 25-30 y/o range.

Ummmmmmmm...... INSURANCE.

Default Why 21

Well its sad to say that they can be regulated that much by outside agencies, but the insurance companies will not insure you in an emergency vehicle unless you are 21 or over. Life sucks don't it!!

Originally posted by BoneyT
    Ummmmmmmm...... INSURANCE.
    Yup
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Default even if they are bonded?

Even if a City is bonded they will not hire until 21. I think it is a maturity thing myself.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

If you can't wait until you are old enough to join/be hired by the organizations of your choice, then here is my advice (it is a lot like your example). Join the military. In the Navy you can become a Damage Control spec. (ie. shipboard firefighter) or a corpsman (aka paramedic). Or join up with any of the four services and get a speciality in aircraft crash and rescue. It can only help you in the long run. You will get much needed discipline and maturity and as a veteran you will most likely get five bonus points on your civil service exams when applying for the fire/medic jobs you want now. It will only take 3-6 years with no further obligation than that and you will come out ahead of the game.

So do I sound like a recruiter or what guys?
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Engine5FF
    So do I sound like a recruiter or what guys?
    You make me wanna move to the US & join up!
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Forum Member

One can get hired at 18 in our fair city ... and it occasionally happens. Personally, I think that's too young -- key word: immaturity -- and some of our teenage hires have borne that out. I think everyone should get a job in the real world for a few years so they can learn to appreciate what a great career this is.

Default Age...

The military is a good route, but having a Paramedic
    cert. is GOLDEN throughout the USA. Get your medic
    cert. THEN you can join the miliatry as a Reservist,
    get your degree.

Also, out here in Cali., The minimal age to test
    for Firefighter is 18.

MembersZone Subscriber

there are a fair amount of dept. that will hire 18 yr olds-or at least let people test at 18. i got hired at 20. dont know why dept. wont hire 18 yr olds. they are taught easily(just out of high school) and they will listen to just about anything they are told.

Thread Information