Forum Member

Question Scott Air Pack 50 HUD

We received a FEMA Grant for 14 Air Packs placed order in December for 14 Scott Air Pack 50's non Heads Up Display. Neighboring department told me today that if they aren't shipped by March 1 we have to buy the HUD. $700/pack. Has anyone else heard of this. I assumed if you got your order in early that you were alright. This would affect alot more district than originally thought if it is true.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was told by a Scott dealer that if your department doesn't want NFPA packs that you can write a letter stating that to Scott and they will build non-compliant packs but your department takes the risk if something happens. It will be the same pack that was produced in 2002 without the HUD and air transfere valve.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

dazed and confused

The deadline is either very close or has passed for the Scott NFPA 97 series (the one before the 2002 series).

I heard they had 11,000 orders for the '97 series to deliver on, and that they would no longer be taking any additional orders for them. The deadline was something like Feb 1 or Mar 1, or it might've already passed (I think it did already go by). I think other manufacturers are also doing something similar.

If you placed the order back in December, I don't see why you'd have a problem. Or if you do, I'd say the local dealer has some explaining to do. Rather than base your thoughts on what your neighboring department says, I'd definetly call your local sales rep.

FF430, we tried to get the "2002" versions minus the HUD and RIT fitting (essentially the 50 series we're familiar with), and it was an immediate "no" from Scott. Just my experience with them.
    Last edited by Resq14; 01-30-2003 at 11:02 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Talked to rep this morning. He said February 28th is the last day Scott can ship 1997 air packs. My ship date was March 6th. Rep is checking on ship date and what needs to happen. If you have packs on order, you might want to check it out.

Forum Member

Scott needs to get their act together. We ordered ours the first week of November. They aren't scheduled to be delivered to the dealer until the 15th of Feb, the third delivery pushback. We did order the AV-3000 facepiece which isn't under general production yet, but I was told I couldn't get them quicker even if I ordered the AV-2000.

Whats the heads up display model mask? We just switched most of our packs to the newer carbon wrapped bottles but we got them about a month or two ago so we skipped this whole deal. If you could fill me in on the HUD and maybe a website or something i would appreciate it.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

IACOJ Agitator

We were going to look at the AV3000 to possibly order for personal issue. However, seeing how we weren't able to get our hands on one to look at we stuck with the AV2000. If you live in an OSHA state, don't forget your personnel have to be fit tested for the masks. The AV2000 and AV3000 use a different sizing system and the same fit test does not apply to both.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Default Scott 50 4.5 packs 97 model

We ordered 12 4.5 Scott 50 packs with 36 bottles total and 24 mask in the middle of November and recieved them before Christmas. We did order the old model and our Sales Rep told us that 12/31 was the last date to order the old model. If we waited until after the first of the year we would have to order the higher priced, feature rich pack. As FEMA was paying for the packs we ordered early to insure we could replace all our packs with the grant money.
    Ralph Connor
    WVFD
    www.WilliamstownFD.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We in Birdsboro recieved a similar grant for 20 air packs
    Our dealer advised us that we could order (time of order was
    12/27/02) the 5.0 air packs w/o the HUD, but that Scott will
    no longer fill orders after 1/31/03 that DID NOT include the
    HUD. We opted to go with the HUD, due to our municipality
    assisting us with our yearly funding.
    Joe B
    IACOJ -(FNG)

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by drkblram
    adze, if you want to see the new stuff, although I guess it's alittle late, get ahold of Shipman's they have a demo of both the new mask and pack. I was very pleased with the visiblity of the 3000 mask.

as for fit testing, Westport, Fairfield and my dept. are went intogether to buy a porta-count machine, which while pricy gives good quality reports. All you need on your own is then to buy a mask of each size with the porta-count port on it, some airpack dealers will even throw them in free...
    At the time, Shipman's didn't have anything. The guy from Scott who they deal with had a mask, but Shipman's was having a hell of a time trying to get a hold of it for us to see.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

38R1-theprobe
    The HUD (Heads up display) is a led indicator of how much air you have left. I believe the led's are actually on the regulator that hooks on to your face piece on the Scotts packs. I havent used any packs with this feature yet. So I dont know how easy or hard it is to see or any other additional information. I know my dept is/has ordered some new Scott 50's. Not sure as to whether or not it will have the LED HUDS or not.
    Mike

Thread Information