Forum Member

Default Anybody wanna help me with this one?

Yes, I know that this picture is one moment in time. I don't know what was going on before, or after this picture was taken. Maybe this is simply an optical illusion. I wasn't there. However, taking all of this into account, I'm still simply left thinking ... huh?

Can anyone help to explain to me the thought process behind this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Is that on the roof of the plant in NC?

Forum Member

It sure looks like they're on the roof. I just have trouble believing that anyone would be on that roof, that is why I thought it might be an optical illusion!

As for North Carolina ... um, ahh, well, ya see, I don't know.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

It also looks like they have fire below them.

I did the same double take when I saw it yesterday.

Wonder where their safety officer was.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

My guess and this is only a guess, and most likley not a well founded one so let me know if I'm crazy or not. But my guess would be since they do not seem to have an attack line, that they are doing some sort of rescue operations. My understanding was that there where some traped people in the building.

Now I'm still in FFI so I may be completley wrong about my assumptions here, but I'm gussing that these guess are part of a RIT team. Just an observation. But again my lack of knowladge precludes me from being able to do anything other then guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

The way I had read the article was that they were searching for at least 8 people and that is the one of the picture from NC.

Since none of us were there lets not say too much before we have the facts. It's hard to tell how safe it may or may not have been vs. the best way to do a search for victims. The steel MAY have been considered stable enough to walk on and considered the best way of conducting the search.

Gary

MembersZone Subscriber

As best I can tell from the picture, the 2 FF's are walking on a cat-walk on what used to be the outside wall of the structure. The structure is/was a steel frame with sheet metal siding, not unlike a pole barn. They're not walking on the roof and the fire is further inside the structure, not beneath them.

Since I wasn't there, I have no way of knowing how sound the structure is, so I can comment on whether this is a safe or unsafe act.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Forum Member

My first thought was an INTERNAL catwalk. There's obviously no exterior walls left, so just because we can see them we can't assume they're outside....

(I DID, however, get the feeling as I watched that video clip on the news that that shot would appear here before long..... )

Forum Member

Im just glad they got out of that alive...

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question The Picture Isn't Big Enough....

I can't tell just how serious this is from the picture! There is more to this than than meets the eye (please pardon the pun, unintended) Is this really a dangerous position?? How do we tell?? Are they on a Rescue mission?? Or just freelancing?? Not enough for me. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

keep in mind that a telephoto lens will compress the depth of field. IE. make things appear closer than they really are.
    Last edited by gregblewett; 02-02-2003 at 10:12 PM.

Forum Member

To me it looks like they are on an internal catwalk. If you look at some of the other pictures from this incident, you will see other people walking ahead of them. I think it might have been inspectors or something.......

Thread Information