Forum Member

Default Breathing Air Quality Testing

Hello there.I was wondering where your department sent air quality samples to? To what standard is it tested to?

Forum Member

Default Breathing Air Quality Testing

Make sure the testing facility is follows and tests for the CSA standards for Breathing Air. Take random samples from air cylinders filled at various times throughout the life cycle of the filters used on your compressor system. Our department is going to hit the news soon on this issue. Stay tuned.

Although probably not suitable for you, we use Maxxam Analytics in Toronto, and have been for some time now. Once an account has been set up they will send to your station an air sampling kit with instructions on how to take a proper air sample for testing purposes. Here in Ontario we are required to have our breathing air sampled and certified every 6 months

We send our samples to CanTest in either Surry or Richmond, BC. They test to CSA Z -180. They have a toll free number, which is:
    1-800-665-8566.
    Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Fireonethree

Forum Member

Does anyone know if the IAFF standard is higher then the CSA?
    The job here agreed to go with whatever standard we chose.
    Last edited by Smoke20286; 02-04-2003 at 10:17 AM.

Forum Member

I was not aware that IAFF had a standard for Breathing Air Quality. I believe NFPA does so you may want to check there. From what we have just been going through in our Dept., it looks like the Canadian CSA standard is more stringent that the U.S. ones. BUT, CSA wants to change and make them less stringent and more like the American standards. Not a good move from what we have seen so far.

Forum Member

Hey, you guys run MSAs???? I can't remember....

If ya do, give Associated Fire a call (I got their number if you want) they'll pick it up, test it, drop it off with the test results for ya.

We used to ship ours over to the WCB world domination headquaters in Richmond, but that was pretty expensive to ship (classified as dangerous good), I just talk to Associated and they said they can do all of the testing for you/us. I will be checking into it in a few weeks or so since we need to send ours off as well.

cya at the next one!
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

CANFF, I believe you are right and I was mistaken

Forum Member

I heard a story, by word of mouth that the Ottawa FD had all its BA condemed because the cylinders became contaminated due to improper air quality testing. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Smoke20286,

Here are some links including one to the letter from the city to the firefighters informing them of the contamination.

http://www.ottawafirefighters.org/pdf/SCBA.pdf

http://www.ottawafirefighters.org/wsib.html

http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...e-7ec8a6b29d07

And finally a quote memo to the members from the Local 162 Secretary:

Thursday August 7, 2003
    Air Contamination: Deputy Chief Denies Legal Responsibility

Finally the public knows! Was it the two Ministry of Labour orders directing the Administration to post the information? Was it the high rate of reported illness amongst firefighters? Was it the successful claims of pneumonia relating to the contamination? Who knows? While members have been aware that they have been breathing contaminated air for who knows how long, word has finally gotten out to the public via The Ottawa Citizen.

As reported in Wednesday's Citizen, despite numerous reports to the Administration of SCBA failing during operations it was the NRC's notification of potential problems that finally pushed the Administration to action. The only quote from the Fire Service came from Deputy Chief Montone, which denied any legal reponsibility or negligence on the part of the Employer. This statement seems to run counter to what was reported in Thursday's Citizen which indicated that "The compressed air mixture was contaminated during processes used to create the air and refill the tanks, the letter says.

Faulty external testing and inspection processes are also blamed.." I'm unsure of Deputy Chief Montone's legal training, but if the Employer contracted an outfit to perform inspection and maintenance of cylinders and filling stations and required employees to perform the various tasks to refill the cylinders then it would stand to reason that if these functions were not performed as per the contract, or training was not provided to members on how to properly fill the air cylinders then the principle of due diligence that applies to the Employer might have something to say about whether legal liability is appropriate. What has not been mentioned during this process is those agencies the Administration contracted to provide air refilling, such as the RCMP, Ottawa-Carleton Police Services and the OPP, to name a few. More legal liability?

Peter Kennedy
    Secretary,
    OPFFA Local 162

It took two orders from the Ontario Ministry of Labour to get the Ottawa Fire Department Administration to release the actual report on the contamination to the firefighters. The Administration has known about the issue for years but are not accepting any responsibilty for the problem.

Every fire department should be taking a very close look at what is in their air and inside their air cylinders. A lot of interesting things were found by having swab and rinse analysis tests done of the interior of the bottles ( and of the SCBA high pressure lines).

Stay Safe.

Forum Member

Smoke,

Sorry, missed the first link for the newspaper articles.

http://www.canada.com/components/pri...D-83C405538328

CANFF2706

Forum Member

Thanks CANFF2706, I have been looking for that information for a while, can you e-mail me please?
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information