01-31-2003, 02:52 AM #1
Halogen Bulb Recall-Fire hazard FYI
Georgia company recalls 600,000 halogen bulbs over fire hazard
WASHINGTON (AP) - A Georgia company is recalling nearly 600,000
halogen light bulbs that may pose a fire hazard if used in floor
lamps or other indoor light fixtures.
Cooper Lighting Inc., of Peachtree City, Ga., has not received
any reports of fire or injury involving the bulbs, the Consumer
Product Safety Commission said Thursday. But the 500-watt light
bulbs, which generate very high temperatures, can start a fire if
they come into contact with curtains, clothes or other flammable
material, the commission said.
The recalled light bulbs, bearing model numbers WM500Q and
BP500Q, do not contain warning labels that read, "Warning: Fire
Hazard! Do Not Use in Torchieres Or Other Indoor Residential
Fixtures." Cooper has asked retailers to add the label to bulb
packaging currently on store shelves. All new 500-watt halogen
bulbs will contain the label.
The bulbs were sold at Wal-Mart, Lowes and smaller retail
outlets nationwide between January 1999 and October 2002.
Consumers can continue using the 500-watt halogen bulbs in
outdoor work lights, flood lamps and other outdoor fixtures, the
Since 1992, halogen floor lamps have caused at least 290 fires
and 25 deaths. To meet current safety standards, indoor halogen
torchiere lamps must be equipped with a protective glass or wire
guard and have a halogen bulb that is 300 watts or less, the
For more information on the recall, consumers can contact the
company at 1-800-954-7145.
On the Net:
Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov/
Cooper Lighting Inc.: http://www.cooperlighting.com/
(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones
*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
On the web at www.section2wildfire.com
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)