Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Couple of points

Originally posted by cozmosis

I always hear that argument when talking about multiple fire departments... Yet I never hear it used when talking about larger cities with multiple stations. Why is that?

What's the difference in the three neighboring departments who run together having two simultaneous incidents... And three station districts in a city having two simultaneous incidents?

Every station in a city doesn't have to have enough equipment and staffing to handle every type of incident... So why would every small department in a county of many departments have to?

The distance between the fire stations.

I am not trying to bash AMA or say that no one should use it. For areas that have departments a couple miles from each other, it makes sense.

Originally posted by Ted Bombagetti
    AMEN cosmosis

The only reason I can come up is "TRADITION"

The tradition of being self veliant, being able to handle any and all situations alone.

We need to change this tradition and become smarter with our funding and keep the reason why we do what we do, SAVE LIVES & PROPERTY in the front of our minds!! and swallow some tradition and ask for assistance.

Seven departments protecting one county. Is it a small county?

We have 11 departments and a good portion of our county is still ISO Class 10.

All our departments have at least 2 Engines and 20 firefighters. Is that a waste? I don't think so. I can draw an engine and crew from each knowing they will still have a reserve engine and crew to cover their own territory.

If you really want to protect lives and property, my advice would be not to reduce staffing and apparatus. Instead build more stations, spread the equipment out, and then run AMA if you choose.
    Last edited by TriTownship600; 03-21-2003 at 09:31 AM.

Additional stations is an excellent idea but as a long term goal, once again due to funding or should say the lack of funding this will take some time.

We had a local department build a station on the opposite end of their township (closer to the township line) to cut their response time, it would take my department three to five minutes to get to this area (their time 8 to 10 minutes). My question, was this a sound move or could have an automatic mutual aid between departments saved the cost of this new station. Time will tell.

For a short term goal the best plan is to have either a mutual aid or better yet an automatic mutual aid agreemen t between departments which should include cross training betwen departments.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile My, Oh My.......

Ahhhh, The joys of leading a sheltered life.... I learn from these discussions, and I'm still amazed at some of the things that pop up here. And, No, I really don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way with my opinions, I do post on what reality is for us, on what works for us, and why things work that way. I would lend a lot of credibility to the question "why is it different when a "big city" department ties up several stations for a fire, than when several single station VFDs get tied up on the same fire" If a fire requires 5 engines, then it should get 5 engines, THE LOCATION OF THE FIRE SHOULD NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. And no, running everything including the lawnmower to a call 3 districts down the road isn't the right thing to do either. The most important thing to remember is to work out a balanced plan for AMA, not just host an occasional free for all. (I am available to consult, free, of course) Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile automatic aid

WE IN PULASKI CO, LITTLE ROCK AR, RUN MUTUAL AID WITH 6 DIFFERENT VOL. FIRE DEPTS AND OUR POLICY IS ONLY TAKE HALF OF WHAT SHOWS UP TO THE STATION, AND IF YOU CAN NOT RESPOND, THEN LET THE OTHER DEPTS KNOW THAT YOU CAN NOT RESPOND, BUT WILL BE ON STAND BY....SO FAR WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SEND 2 TO 6 FFS TO A MUTUAL AID CALL.

WE HAVE PAID FFS AT OUR DEPT, AND WE USUALLY SEND THOSE 2 NO MATTER WHAT BECAUSE WE USUALLY HAVE 3 EXTRA ON SB AT HOME IF WE NEED THEM.

MUTUAL AID IS GREAT AND I THINK THAT SINCE WE HAVE HAD IT WE NOW AVERAGE ANYWHERE FROM 15 - 30 FF FOR A STRUCTURE FIRE.

FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME IF YOU WANT MORE INFO ON OUR MUTUAL AID STUFF.

burkie@firehousemail.com

Thread Information