Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reponse Crews

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

Question Reponse Crews

I am curious what other volunteer departments have for response crew times to the station. Here when we get toned out all memebers have to respond to the station and ride on the appratus (unless its the neighbors house or you are an officer). A minumum of 4 firefighters must be on board before the apparatus can leave the station, or the incident commander requests the truck prior to 4. It can take anywhere from 2 to 6 minutes during the day, and longer during overnights to get a 4 man crew. Again just curious to what other departments have for a response crew time?

MembersZone Subscriber

In our situation we have a poor rooster. So sometimes you will role a truck by yourself. And sometimes be on scenes by yourself.. We run medicals and everything. There are no requirements for people on the truck. Some of our memebers live no where close to the station so they proceed directly to the scene. During the day we have one paid person to role the truck. And others respond POV if not at the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

About 3 minutes, in normal conditions.
    Only drivers respond to the station. All others go direct to the scene. First to the station takes the first truck. On calls that require only one truck, the other drivers remain on station.

Stay Safe

It usually takes us between 1 and 4 mins (~50% of the nights, there is a crew sleeping at the station). Normally, any night we can have an engine and the ladder on the road within 5 minutes, and if it sounds like a "good" call, of course turnout is higher and we usually get a second engine and sometimes other apparatus, all within 6-8 minutes. Sometimes we can get 2 engines and our ladder out right away, like on a nice weekend afternoon when we have people hanging around the station. BTW, paid FF's staff the ladder and an engine during the day.

We don't have anyone living at our station (other than some mice) and only Chief's respond to the scene. We have 2 companies and the first truck out of each station will be on the road within 4 minutes. Each of those trucks will have 4-6 members of which at least 2 will be in SCBA. We do not run EMS calls, only fire. As for requirements to ride, everyone must be certified to NJ State FF1 as a minimum. We do allow juniors/explorers to ride on second out pieces but not the first due usually.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We have 6 guys that live in our station. They have smaller bedrooms and a large livingroom and kitchen.anyways we have a truck out the door in about 2-3 minutes.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 2 Career Personnel assigned 24 hours a day.

We have 4 Live-ins (Myself, 2 Firefighters and an EMS Officer)

We have regular Sleep-ins per our Duty Night Requirements.

We can usually roll within 1 minute of dispatch and we have no home response with the exception of the Chiefs who have Buggies and usually either go to the Scene if the Call is in our Area or go to the Station and make up another crew. Sometimes we get out a little slower at night, but we get "pre-alerted" so when those bells start going off and that strobe light is flashing, you wanna get up and out of bed quickly.

Forum Member

we dont have anyone staying at our station full time.
    On a normal day, we are rolling within 3 minutes, wether its in a brush truck, engine, or the rescue unit.

Sometimes, all 15 guys will be available to show up, but sometimes it may be 2. You just never know. We usually average about 9 people showing up per call.
    Matt

LIEUTENANT
    Covington Fire/Rescue, Texas

U.S.A.F Reserve Firefighter

Forum Member

My small volunteer rural fire district station is reliant on a total of about 25 registered members, and 2 engines. Weekends and nights we can be responding in between 3 and 6 minutes, depends on the call, structures alight get a generally faster response than say oil on the roadway. Crew numbers depend on the call, the two engines can accomodate 7 and 3 respectively, other's go in their POV's. Weekdays we become more reliant on members who live out of town as most who live in town, work outside of it, response times may stretch to 8 minutes or so, and crew numbers from 1 to about 8. A call just a few hours ago (Thursday day time Australian Eastern Summer Time) an automatic fire alarm was a case in point, 1 in towner and 4 out of towners (4 in engine and 1 POV from home) and a 8 minute response from pager to mobile, then a 6 minute drive to a research lab.

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

If we had to wait for 4 people to roll a truck we might be there all say. During the day we are generally short handed. I have rolled a truck alone several times, and there are times that only two people show up on a call.

Forum Member

Ramseycl, I know the feeling of responding 1 up. In January I had to take an engine to a house fire in a adjoining station area of my district, we were third due mainly to supply water (900 gal tank). Across the 3 engines from 3 stations we had crews of 3, 4 and 1, so 8 in total. I spent most of my time there as SCBA crew however, searching for extension into the roof.

Forum Member

Our engineers are given some latitude on this (there's no firm "have this many people or sit & wait until you get them" rule), but here's the general idea:

We generally expect everyone to start out responding to the station to staff apparatus. The major exceptions to this are (i) the Chief, if the call is in our district (as opposed to an outgoing mutual aid call), and (ii) if responding to the station means passing right by the scene. Drivers on the engine and squad are expected to pick up anybody they can see in the vicinity of the station as they get ready to leave, but don't need to wait for a full crew on the rig to go. Tankers can leave driver-only as soon as they're ready, or pick up another person first, if they wish. Personnel who are responding are to monitor the radio so that, should they hear that the apparatus due are already on the road, they can divert to the scene and get ready for action.

In practice, we'll routinely get at least the engine and 1 tanker out in 1-3 minutes with 4 people between them during evenings, nights, early morning and weekends, and the other squad and second tanker (if they're due) out with 3-4 more people on board within a few minutes after that. In the daytime, things are spread much thinner. Since we (and all the stations in are area) make extensive use of automatic mutual aid (most structure alarms have at least 3 stations on initial dispatch), enough resources get to the scene even if one station comes up a little short at any given time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, if the call comes in after 5p.m. and before 5a.m. then we can usually have at least an full crew (6) on an engine enroute within 4-5 minutes. However, we are a fully volunteer department and we struggle during the day. We are lucky to have two people to show up during the day. I was quite embrassed to hear that recently had an MVA in the middle of town, and only had one person to respond. The embrassing part was the fact that they arrived after another department was already on scene, and working the extrication.

As far a responding to the station, everyone does it. Including the Chief, unless he takes the Command vehicle home on the weekend. This works good for us because we know the personal we will have responding.

MembersZone Subscriber

All our appraratus are "two seaters" so we use a lot of POVs. Usually we have about nine show up. We have been known to pick up a person to help when things go to pot and we are short handed. Out of the bay in about 5 min., those air brakes take forever when your in a hurry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ramseycl
    If we had to wait for 4 people to roll a truck we might be there all say.
    Haha. Well said!

MembersZone Subscriber

We are a small suburban company of 53 members (of which we have about 6 probies, 27 exempt members who do not ride and three chiefs). The Chiefs respond to the scene. Firefighters respond to the hall from home unless they are EMS personell and it is an EMS call and the location is on their diorect route to the station. In terms of our response times and on location times, our stats are skewed due toi the fact our times are logged by first responding unit, first unit on scene etc. (which is usually a chief in both circumstances) So on paper our response records look great. In reaslity, there are many times we don't roll a rig out of the station but still have someone represent us at the location.

Like someone said earlier, if we had tow ait for 4 memebers to ride we may never respond.

It is basically the discretion of the officer in charge of the incident and the officer of the rig responsing.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking We Ain't Waitin'.........

In the words of that famous back-end-of-the-firetruck driver, Chris White, "You snooze, You lose!" If you are not in the apparatus bay you won't be on the first piece most of the time! And there are times a driver coming from home gets to bring the second piece. With our run totals, we have people IN the station 24/7 That alone makes for getting out quick. As for crew size, what we got is what we go with. Although we try for a full boat, we can go with as few as 2. But, one size does not fit all in this business, find your best fit and go with it. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Rock n Roll!

Chief goes directly to the scene. Whoops; that was me.
    New chief goes to the station along with the others. They can usually have equipment enroute within 3-4 minutes. A little longer in the winter.
    Some might stay at the station a little late, but contrary to some wives, we do not have firefighters working a 24 hour shift.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

For fire our average is about 3-4 minutes.
    Daytime it can take up to 5 to get the first truck rolling but after that there are off about 1 minute apart so, Truck 1 enroute in 4 minutes, Truck 4 enroute in 5 minutes, and Truck 6 enroute in 6 minutes.

The ambulance is abit longer b/c we only have 7 EMTs and 3 drivers. All of our Medics live outside town limits except for myself and one other. IN the past year however our response time has gone from 7-8 min. to 4-5. Depending on the time we have gotten out the door in 2-3.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Thread Information