Thread: WCC Policy

Forum Member

Default WCC Policy

Here in Newfoundland we are limited by WCC to 80% of our net Salary, I would like to know how the regulations differ from Province to province. We are currently in the process of appealing because mine rescue crews are covered for 100% while responding to emergencies (although the same policy expressly excludes career firefighters)

Forum Member

Many Departments here have what is called "bridging" in their contracts. They receive their regular salary while they are off work so there is no loss of income.
    I will check on what other Departments receive if they must receive money from WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Bureau). I know they lowered the allowable amount a few years ago when they privatized it......suprise surprise!

Smoke,
    It sucks to go on WCC in NF. With only receiving 80% from WCC and having to pay out the rest of your deductions to employeer,leaves the injured worker with not a hell of a lot to live on. Some would say it would be better to keep mouth shut and go off on sick leave.

Forum Member

Tanner, we have several people who are pretty conversant in WCC legislation (I am fairly knowlegable myself) We feel we have a strong case to appeal this policy as it is felt it does not reflect the intent of the act

http://www.wsib.on.ca/wsib/wsibsite....ic/BenefitsLOE

Above is the web site to Ontario's WSIB board. You will see that here we are limited to a maximum of 85% of our net income with a maximum salary ceiling of 65,000$.

Forum Member

Thanks mesha, I couldn't remember the exact amount. I know at one time when it was still WCB they used to pay 95%, or close to it. The only good thing is that these payments are deduction free and you don't have to pay tax on them at the end of the year.

The bridging is a wonderful idea, as I said, WSIB pays the Municipality the 85% yet you receive your full salary. You can be sure though that they are anxious to get you back to work, even on light duty

Forum Member

a marvelous idea LadyCapn, unfortunately illegal here

Forum Member

Illegal? How so Smoke?

Forum Member

Here, since 1988, it has been illegal for the employer to top up WCC payments

Smoke, Is the WCC a provincially run organization? The reason I ask is because in Ontario much of what is taking place, is that the provincial government is either selling out to private interest or is requiring it's ministries to operate "like a business". So then my understanding with what happens with work related injury is that our employer is required to pay your days salary and the WSIB will recompense the employer up to the maximum allowed. Should your annual income exceed the maximum allowed 65,600$, your employer has the option of purchasing additional "insurance coverage" for them to make up the difference between what is payed out and what is received from WSIB. But our annual base salary does not include overtime, bonus, or for that matter a second income. So this "topping up" really is a business decision and of course that means more money for the WSIB. At least that is my interpretation of the rules here in Ontario.

Forum Member

Yes Meesha the WCC is a provincially run organization , separate in each province, each with their own regulations. It is 100% employer funded and as such is not strictly answerable to the Government. Here presently it is running at a 200 million dollar defecit, part of the reason why salaries are only compensible to 80%. We recently adapted early and safe return to work legislation similar to that in Ontario in an effort to cut down on that unfunded liability.

Thread Information