Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need advice

MembersZone Subscriber

Question need advice

Looking for advice on this subject.I recently got elected as a officer at one of our stations.Which is 2 miles away from where i live .I live 2 blocks from the closet station and the chief wants me to respond to the st. i was elected only becasue the capt at the closet st doesn't want me to respond there because his son got elected there and thinks if i'm there his son won't get any experience as a line officer. No where does it say that i have to respond out of the the station i was elected to.What do you guys think i should do keep responding to the closet st.and get in trouble or should i resign my postion... thanks to all who respond

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey,

Reply to your question, not knowing your town or state I would ask why you feel you would get into trouble to respond to your closet station? Does the sta. you where elected in have a capt assigned? also does membership stay at the station where you joined. But to keep the peace I would say dont resign your appointment,dont ever let it get to that! support the station you where elected at, or sit down with the capt. in question and see if he is willing to compromise and let you in on say every other call or a 1/2 of a month, and let his son have the other half, if he is willng, experience is 99% of this job whether you are career or vol. or both, doesnt matter. again not knowing your unique situation, you want to keep the peace, but don't ever give up what you have earned, if you need maybe it would be best to support the station where you were elected, maybe the folks there are looking to you as a leader for that specific area that sta. covers. Just a thought. Hope it helps

Trainingboss!

kevinr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Similar Situation

I was in a similar situation when I was first elected as an officer. I was elected to a station that would have all the appratus (Engine and Squad) before I got there. But the closer station I would be there within 3 minutes (from a dead sleep).

Although I did not have to deal with someone's son being captain. However, during an officers meeting, I asked if we could switch stations. He was as close to "my station" as his. After discussing it with the chiefs and other officers, we were allowed to do this.

It has worked out well for us. So you may want to try this approach.

MembersZone Subscriber

the station i was elected at also has a capt to.The set up is one capt and two lt to a station.I do get in trouble if i respond 2 the closet station and the capt does.. If the capt doesn't respond i don't get in trouble.because no one else has a problem with me responding to the closet one ..Its just the capt at that st..his son doesn't mind because he and i have had a talk and we both agreed that we were going to swap who sits up front every call

Go where you are needed. If the closer station needs a captain and/or more manpower, go there. If the farther station needs a captain and/or more manpower, go there.

If neither station needs either, then go where you were elected. If you wanted to be captain at the closer station, why didn't you run for captain there?

Stay Safe

Default Question?

Why are your officers elected? I hardly think a popularity contest is the best way to choose an officer. I am not challenging your knowledge or abilities, but don't you think a promotional exam process would be more appropriate?
    Last edited by Duffman; 02-06-2003 at 10:57 PM.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Originally posted by Engine11
    he and i have had a talk and we both agreed that we were going to swap who sits up front every call
    I can only hope that who gets to "ride shotgun" isn't really at the heart of this issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

Riding shotgun is only part of the problem.The capt's problem is if i'm around the chiefs won't give orders to his son because most of the people at that station have already said that the will not follow orders from him because he doesn't have enough expericence . He thinks he knows what hes doing only because of his dad.He thinks his ***** doesn't stink.Manpower is not an issue at the other station( the one i was elected to but is at the one i'm closet to).A promotional exam would be a good way but thats the way the department has done it since it was started
    Last edited by Engine11; 02-07-2003 at 01:52 PM.

Default Oh Boy!

originally posted by Engine11
    A promotional exam would be a good way but thats the way the department has done it since it was started

I think we all know where that gets you.
    Last edited by Duffman; 02-07-2003 at 01:50 PM.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah nowhere because people don't like change very well

Why are your officers elected? I hardly think a popularity contest is the best way to choose an officer.
    Many volunteer departments in our area do this because they would rather run their departments as "good ol' boys" clubs as opposed to being professional and using testing and experience in an appointment system.

Thread Information