MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need Dispatchers

I am looking for help in gathering information on the need for dispatchers. Such as studies that might have been done somewhere in the US. I am from a City that is 1 square mile in size. The City is made up mostly 3 and 4 story balloon frame constructed houses, a Federal Detension facility, numerous Nursing homes, and elderly Highrises. It is a poor North East City where the residents call for all there problems. We operate 2 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 BLS Rescue, and 1 Battalion Chief, with a 9 man shift. We did 4,200 emergency responses last year. Our problem is we dont have a dispatcher and this is a time bomb waiting to happen, no one to monitor our transmissions and call for mutual aid when needed (Batt Ch switches off fireground to intercity freq. to call for help) Our Public saftey Director(also the Mayor) doesnt believe we need a full time dispatcher. Police have 1 but is busy with the 25,000 response calls they do a year. Any ideas on how we can prove the need for one please send in your response.

Forum Member

You won't find any. Major studies just are not done for 911 because no one really cares.

Your best bet will be to contact agencies of smilar size and call volume and see if they did their own studies to determine what type of set up they needed.

Your mayor is crazy. EVERY municipality should have a communications center. No one monitors your transmissions????!!!!! Does that mean your transmissions are not being recorded???!!! Uggggg....

One word- LIABILITY-

Have you thought about your town joining your counties 911 center? Or perhaps another local 911 center? It would be less expensive then starting one of your own. I would be interested in getting any studies you might find. Good Luck...

Forum Member

I'm confused. How are you even dispatched to calls? I agree that this situation sounds like a bomb waiting to explode. I think having the Mayor as any other position other than mayor is a bad idea. Your mayor is your public safety dirctor so there is no one else with an opinion that knows what he is talking about on your side.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

To make it a little clearer, we operate out of 1 station and answer our own calls. When we recieve calls for building fires or anything else, ie. 3-4 EMS calls at once or anything everyone goes, the station is empty. The Police dispatcher is supposed to answer our phones(from their station) when we are out, and they switch to our freq to let us know about other calls coming in. The Batt CHief will switch to intercity channels to get help for other calls. If any box alrarm comes in a tone goes out over the radio, there are times the police don't get it because they are too busy(they are too!)and the chief will have a company go back to the station to find the location of the alarm. Yeh its hard to believe, but I'm sure there are Dept that are worse off than us.

Forum Member

Actually I'm not so sure it can get much worse. It's a matter of when, not if, your department will get sued.
    If the station is empty and the police radio is not answering your calls how do you even know there is a fire somewhere?

Thread Information