MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question for NorCal

NorCal brethren,
    I have applied to all 12 Ranger units for this coming season. I am in Nebraska right now, however, I have all of my California certs, I finished Yuba College Fire Academy in Fall 2001. I made the tripi last year and interviewed for Butte Ranger Unit and made it into the "1's" yet I did not get picked up. I am sure it is because all of the connections that I had were in the NYP Ranger unit system. The question is, how does this upcoming season look? I am planning on just moving back out there and hitching up with whatever I can, hopefully with Bi-County ambulance until I get picked up by a Ranger Unit. I have been monitoring the drought maps and fire maps, and NorCal doesn't look too dry, yet when I speak with my firefighter in my old POC Station (95 in Marysville) and they have been saying that the drought conditions are more severe than the maps say. So, I am just curious how it looks from everyone else's point of view.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Forum Member

Dragon Slayer,

Most northern units, from what I was told by numerous captains and chiefs, will be hiring people this up coming season for the first time in years. NEU ( Nevada Yuba Placer) has not sent letters out, but I was up at Station 10 ( HQ) talking with our training chief and he stated that they do not know how many people that unit will be hiring.I volunteer for them now and still will be tough for me to get hired with them. Have you received any letters yet from other units in NOR-CAL? The only 4 that I have heard who have sent letters are: Tehama-Glenn, Shasta-Trinity, Siskiyou, and Amador- El Dorado.

And as for the drought, our unit had a vegetation fire last week up in the Smartsville/ Loma Rica area. That's pretty early for those. So it might be a busy one but no one is for certain quite yet. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to message me.

Thread Information