Default Ice in water tank

Last week we responded to a fire in single digit weather. While pumping my tank water to a relay tanker I could only off load approx. 800 gallons. The tank on our engine is 1,000 gallons. While refilling I could see ice in the bottom of the tank. Is it possible for ice to build up that quick ? Our bay is heated to approx. 55 degrees. Any ideas on preventing this other than adding antifreeze to the tank. We do recirc. our pump while setting outside during cold weather.

Forum Member

How long was the truck sitting before you started flowing water? Also, what is the tank made of? Steel or poly? It shouldn't freeze while your moving or pumping with all the sloshing around with only single digits... at least I has never happened here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I've seen lines freeze, I've seen older water filled gauges freeze, but I've never hear of a tank freezing while water was being circulated. How did you determnine there was ice in the tank? Where were you looking?
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

I could only pump approx. 800 gallons to the tanker and when I lifted up the fill lid I could see a large block of ice in the bottom. I know the tank was full to begin with because I had just topped it off. If I had not seen this myself, I would not believe it either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Incredible. Any chance someone parked the apparatus outside while they used the apparatus bay for some reason and then re-parked the engine before your response ?
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Forum Member

Question Info missing here

The tank to pump line is right from the bottom. if you had 200 gallons frozen in the bottom you should not get any water. OR It froze
    on the top and settled as you pumped? 1000 Gallons at 55 deg starting to freeze, What was the time line?

Forum Member

It gets cold in Maine.
    It gets really cold in Canada.
    It gets really, really cold in Alaska.

And yet none of us have ever heard of tank water freezing, while being properly circulated.

Me thinks something is not quite right with this story. You are either playing a practical joke OR you were the victim of a practical joke.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Getting 80% of capacity out of a tank would not be outside of the normal realm of operations

200 gallons of ice, is, well huge. Even a good size block would take a while to form. And with a 1000 gallons to cool down, it's gonna take a while.

And let's not forget, this isn't stagnant water -- it wash sloshing back and forth enroute, and it was vibrating from the truck's engine on scene.

NOW...
    You've drained down to only 200 gallons and go to refill.

You're now sloshing a bit more, water splashing up and hitting the sides of the baffles. I'm still skeptical, but that's a more reasonable way/situation for ice to form -- lot less mass to cool.

Thread Information