Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Drivers IGNORING lights and sirens

I just finished reading about drivers ignorance tord emergencies vehicles.Well,we all know,that drivers don't care to much,unless they are in trouble themselves.The country I'm from,had the same problem,and few doctors(a doctor used to respond to an emergency)got killed in accidents caused by carless drivers.Finally,somebody got fedup with the whole thing and came up with a great plan.Once in a week ,a police car and one emergency vehicle would cruise together through the city with lights and sirens on,and anybody who would ignore it ,would get huge ticket.I mean,ticket, you do not forget about for a long time.Anyway,I have to say,that did solve the problem.And besides that?The city made tons of money!!!

New York/New Mexico a 5,000 mile commuter

Nice!!!!!!! But it won't work everywhere, take for example; Bubba#1 a cop, ticketing Bubba #2, a lacky he knows all his life, and Bubba's his cousin too! Take another example, a Major Metropolitian City with upwards of say 600,000 people.......a lot of patrol cars and rigs would be put of response position giving tickets to people who don't pay them anyway! My old adage was run em' down within a safe distance with my Saulsbury and scare the shi- out of them.....usually works for a year or two!
    "All gave some......Some gave all!"
    Lest we forget.........9/11/01
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

I think "here", there will always be a certain percentege of morons based on population no matter what you do. There are those who don't care and refuse to pull over. But I think the much bigger problem is people just not paying attention and not seeing you in the first place. Car get more and more sound proof so if you don't pay attention to your mirrors, you may never know the big red truck is there until you are on top of them which is not good practice in the first place. Turn on the stereo and forget it. I have found that with idiot like that, the oncoming traffic will help me out. They will see that the mororn is oblivious to what is behind them and start flashing their highbeams at them to get them to wake up.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

HA! I musta missed this thread when I first logged in... its in perfect keeping with what I just submitted on the Private Veh vs Emergency Veh thread.

(Note to self: open eyes first... then submit posts. )
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

I don't know about the rest of you guys, Up here in Maine, the busses have red and white strobes on them as well...makes me wonder what they were thinking...

I also work for the local EMS company, and wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper about how frustrating it is to not be ab le to move through traffic up here, especially in the summer time!

Nobody seems to think that they have to pull over and stop, I've had drag races with the car in the breakdown lane, been tailgated by the guy i just passed who turns on his 4 ways to get through traffic, and yes, the airhorns do work....I like the term "yelp-swerve". they don't see you but when they hear that airhorn and look back, you can see them "yelp" with fear, and "swerve" over into the ditch, sometimes without even touching the brakes.

It can be funny to watch.

Thanks to all of the fireman and women out there that do obey the law, they understand that time is muscle for the EMS calls, and time is the difference between saving a structure, or filling a basement with water on a fire call.

Stay safe, and stay warm!

Airborne all the way!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we can blame car builders and engineers for part of this. with vehicles these days that block out all sound from outside, sirens don't do much. that and yabbing on cell phones and listening to their radio cranked up all the way, it's a wonder they even eventually find out we're coming.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

In my town if a car ignores the sirens and won't get out of the way the paramedics have the right to write down the plate and give it to the cops to send them a ticket.
    Carrie Hagen
    CGFD Explorer
    HealthEast Paramedic Explorer
    medicgirl532@yahoo.com
    fireboop3125@firehousemail.com
    carebear3125@hotmail.com

**FireFighting not recommeded for mere mortals **

Bump 'N Grind
    Firefighting
    Get your hose out,
    Put your rubbers on,
    And get 'em real wet!

Firefighters
    The Few...
    The Proud...
    The Insanely Brave...

Forum Member

In our town if they don't move you have the right to push them out of the way doesn't make a lot of sense seeing as you will probalbly create an accident but usually a gentle nudge the extended bumper will get the point across.

If people love there emergency workers so much and think of them as heros why don't they pull the heck over and eliminate one more hazard for them, just goes to show people don't mean what they say.
    Last edited by Station32; 02-09-2003 at 09:26 PM.

Um, Station 32, I really doubt that you have the "right" to push people out of the way with your truck. Although we all would like to sometimes

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Here Too........

The Washington,DC area is supposed to have some of our nations worst traffic problems, and I believe every word of it. Start form the beginning: There is a traffic light in front of our station which flashes yellow for traffic going both ways on the street. When we get a run, (about one an hour so far in '03) we hit a button and the light turns solid yellow, then red, to stop traffic. There are so many people ignoring that light that the police set up shop from time to time and write a lot of tickets. Then there's road construction. Ever had a training session on how to open a lane thru a "Jersey Barrier"? we do it. When we finally get where we're going, we always have a unit or two pull sideways to block traffic and protect our own people. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive out there.... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default So simple, it's stupid!

I had this profound thought. It hit me like a zenith. How about:

We teach people that, when they are in their vehicle, THEY DRIVE?

The whole problem stems from the fact that people are in vehicles going somewhere, but they aren't driving anymore. They are sending faxes, talking on the cellphone, applying make up, eating from the car buffet, listening to a stereo that is SO LOUD, watching TV(that's right; watching TV), using the computer; all the while, oblivious to the others using our roadways.
    Here is something novel; when a person causes an accident because they were doing something else at the time of the collision, how about charging them with negligent driving and jacking the fine to a 90 day automatic license suspension? Bet it wouldn't take long for the emergency vehicles to get to a scene then.
    But that wouldn't be right. All of the people driving without a license and all of the uninsured motorists would simply have a fit!
    Something needs to be done or the body count will continue to rise.
    Just my opinion.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

New York/New Mexico a 5,000 mile commuter

In actuality, I do not believe there is a simple answer to this specific problem. When back in NYC, I live on Staten Island, a unique problem related to this is; Most residents are either Cops or Firefighters, or their family members......and you would not believe how many think the Rigs are second priority! Additionally, due to it's population density.....almost every day you hear about another FD Rig cracked up while responding.

My temporary solution as pre-stated is scare the shi- out of them with the huge rig and it's above decimal air horn, but be sure your Chauffeur or Engineer knows how to handle the rig.....getting too close will cause a bigger problem, and you'll never get to the location anyway!
    "All gave some......Some gave all!"
    Lest we forget.........9/11/01
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

At times, I have been tempted to mount the siren on the roof of our firehouse to the front of the rescue truck. You can hear that for miles so I bet they'll hear it in the Lexus.

Forum Member

i don't know if it is only here where i live but according to our state laws, no one HAS to move out of the way of an emergency vehicle, it is just implied that they should... i don't think most people know about it though thank god and thankfully they usually do move out of the way.

another problem is depending on how fast you are going, most engines and vehicles outrun their sirens at 55-60 miles an hour so since most drivers don't take the damn time to look in their rear-view mirrors they don't even realize you are behind them until you almost rear end them..... i think they should put extended bumpers on ALL emergency vehicles and give the right to move cars any way possible ....then again, THAT may cause another accident...

Originally posted by intraining

another problem is depending on how fast you are going, most engines and vehicles outrun their sirens at 55-60 miles an hour...
    Have you changed the laws of physics?

At normal atmospheric pressure and a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Farenheit, a sound wave will travel at approximately 343 m/s; this is approximately equal to 750 miles/hour. I've seen emergency vehicles driving fast, but not THAT fast!

So since most drivers don't take the damn time to look in their rear-view mirrors they don't even realize you are behind them until you almost rear end them.....
    That's why drivers of emergency vehicles need emergency response/defensive driver/accident avoidance training!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-10-2003 at 05:09 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Let's get serious here.

All of this talk about scaring the driving public or pushing them to move out of the way. Don't even joke about that kind of stuff.
    Look at how many emergency responders died in 2002 alone and it is quite sobering.
    Heightening awareness in the driving public while at the same time teaching apparatus drivers better driving skills is the only way to improve our chances of getting to and from a scene safely.
    And it starts with getting your people a properly classified drivers' license. Just because you can drive a car or a pick up doesn't qualify you to drive apparatus.
    I know it's frustrating, but driving like THEM is not the answer!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

As much fun as it may be to joke about pushing other cars out of the way, you are right on youíre other point. At least as far as I can gather here in Minnesota the Lights and Sirens of Emergency vehicles is nothing more then a way of asking permission. Such as at an intersection, you are asking the other vehicles for permission to go, and unless they yield and give you the right of way, you have to wait.

One would think that people would have the sense to get the Froak out of the way, you never know it could be a loved one that was injured at work or school that you do not know about ridding in the back of that rig that you are blocking in, or it could be your house on fire.

But they way the law works and in this day and age we have enough sue happy lawyers to make sure that it is followed, it is safe to take the extra time to make sure that you are not going to kill or injury anyone on your way to a scene.

Forum Member

Smile

don't really know what to say Captain Gonzo, i am just going off the information given to me in my EMT class.... that is what i love about the information given in those classes... some is right, most is wrong i don't know how many times i have been told by my peers that they teach you one thing, but when it comes to the real situation most are handled much differently.... if i am incorrect forgive me, but that is what i was told and shown.

Perhaps what they meant was this...

The fast you go, the less time there is between when the person hears the siren and when you are on top of them. If you are going "really fast", by the time the person hears the siren, it may be too late to react at an intersection.

Maybe we should be looking at our rigs and how they're set up?

As a few people have pointed out, the design of cars has changed dramatically making them very sound proof, whilst car sound systems have improved to the point where some people could almost blow their eardrums!

- Have a look at the positioning of the siren speakers- it's a fact that sound travels in certain directions. If the speakers are too high, then the sound waves could be travelling over the top of the vehicle...

- Have a look at the positioning of the warning lights- same problem as the speakers. Are they too high too see in the rear vision mirror?

- Are the lights positioned correctly to provide the best illumination?

- If we have problems entering intersections, then look at the type of warning lights and once again, the position and direction they're pointing.

- What about the colour of our rigs? I'm not getting into an argument over coulours, but reality is that some colours stand out more than others.

- What about the markings on our vehicles? Are we using high visibility markings or just going for fancy looking shapes and patterns because it looks good? (Because we all know how important it is too look good!!)

Maybe it's a simple case that people really can't see or hear us....:
    Luke

Thread Information