Forum Member

Red face EVIL NVFC

Just what the volunteer fire service needs another national group to send our fifty dollars to yearly .Love the name North America volunteer fire whatever.One question can we buy tee-shirts.Hope this newest national group can save us poor souls.How about you come down to kentucky and fry fish.The Fire Service loves to bitch about in action.Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

This just in from:
    Craig Sharman
    Director of Government Relations
    National Volunteer Fire Council

As you have probably heard by now, there has been discussion that the
    Department of Homeland Security is considering shifting a substantial
    amount of funding out of the FY 2003 FIRE Grant program funding that
    was allocated by Congress into other "First Responder " programs for
    terrorism response.

The fire service groups in Washington met yesterday (Wed.) with the
    staff of our key allies in Congress, including Reps. Walsh, Pascrell,
    Edwards, Weldon, Boehlert, Nick Smith, and Sen. McCain to discuss the issue. Congressman Jim Walsh himself stopped in on the meeting to fill us in on what he knew about the situation.

Mr. Walsh, whose leadership as Chairman of the VA, HUD Appropriations
    Subcommittee was critical in increasing the program funding to $750
    million, said he felt that the Administration did not have the
    authority to shift these funds without Congressional approval. He is scheduled to talk to Mitch Daniel, Director of OMB today about the issue.

Everyone at the meeting agreed that instead of jumping the gun, we hold our fire until we get the complete story from FEMA and the Dept. of Homeland Security.

I am now hearing this morning that the entire $750 million will be
    spent on FIRE Act grants, there would be no diversion to any other program, and the temporary delay in processing grant requests would be lifted on Monday. It appears that there may have been a proposal floated but it was rejected, possibly because of the quick response of our allies on Capitol Hill.

Again nothing is confirmed and I will follow up as soon as I know
    more.

Craig Sharman

Below is my request for information from NVFC

Craig,
    Where does the NVFC stand on the delay and possible re-assignment of
    the Fire Act Grant dollars?
    I am ready to light up the phones and email to my congressional reps,
    but not sure if that is needed.
    What is the NVFC stanse on this important issue ????

Thanks,
    Malcolm Cunningham - Chief
    Hardin Fire Protection District
    Hardin, MO
    mcunning@kumc.edu

MembersZone Subscriber

Default coldfront; have I got a deal for you!

coldfront:
    If I give you twice the inaction for half the money, would you join?
    And besides; what's wrong with another organization who offers a different perspective and speaks to the needs of the smaller, volunteer departments?
    One of the problems with the NVFC is that they promote their agenda full time. I think that they have forgotten that, as volunteers, we have another full time job that won't allow us to leave our jobs and attend meetings, conventions, workshops, etc. Everything we do has to be done after hours or on weekends. Our state has fashioned our entire volunteer training program around this key element.
    Maybe that's why there aren't alot of departments ACTIVE in the organization. NVFC is having meetings when everyone else is at work.
    And when the largest volunteer departments are getting the key positions in the organization, the small guys are getting left behind or the organization isn't as "vocal".
    Now, I know that the NVFC is saying that "volunteers are volunteers" but the reality is that Wayne County or German Township is going to get an ear long before a department my size will ever be heard.
    That's just my opinion and I also recognize that in years past, the NVFC has been out front leading the charge for the volunteers.
    But, as the old saying goes, "what have you done for me lately"?
    Perhaps, they need to survey the 55% of the departments in this country. They may find themselves falling short of their mission.
    And it's the "North American Volunteer Firefighters Association"; a name that I recommended to our leader.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well........

I'm not really sure what coldfront was getting at. No one is looking for $50.00 from anywhere, nor do we want much else except support for America's Volunteer Firefighters. The part about frying fish??? No Clue. Bitching? Sure, like every other Firefighter that I've ever met. And, most importantly, THANK YOU to Chief Cunningham. You have a question, you ask it. In your case, you got an answer. That's what this is all about, getting answers. I have sent some emails regarding the delay with the program, and I have heard back from some of our elected representatives. As the matter seems to have been resolved, and things are moving again, I'll be watching quietly. Someone tries to mess with it again, we'll be back on the offense again. We're NOT going away, and we're not going to be quiet. We deserve better, and we're going after it. The program needs to be changed in a big way, and we don't plan on resting until changes are made. Period. Stay Safe.,...
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

woods,

I backed your idea on page 1, and I still do.

I am offering any help I can give.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Forum Member

hwoods and ChiefReason, a while back I said I wanted to do some research on my own to better educate myself on NVFC. I'm done..."what have you done for me lately"? is the best I came up with. Sign me up for NAVFA.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Thanks, Guys....

I'm up to my ears with some issues in the Maryland legislature that deal with Fire/Rescue funding and operations (they want to mandate, but not pay for, physicals for firefighters, for one item. There are others)And as soon as I get a few minutes I'll get out an update on what's up with the NAVFA. Thanks and Stay safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information