Default Alan Baird's Appeal Status

I talked with the NY prosecutor today who tried Bairds case. He informed me that Atty. Moran is still representing Baird and has until February 17 to file his Appeal Brief. The appeal for the State will be handled by an appellate attorney from the prosecutor's office whose name and number I have for follow up. I'll get a copy of the brief IF filed. Atty. Moran's should be most interesting from both a legal and firefighter's point of view I expect. YES, if Baird's brief is filed,the prosecutor expects the stay from going to jail to be extended.
    Last edited by ENG6511; 02-10-2003 at 12:58 PM.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default DDDDDDEEEEEPPPPPP SIGH....

Thanks Bob for keeping up on this one. I guess all we can do from here is "Hope".... Not looking good for "Our Team" though is it?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I swear;
    I will be drawing Social Security before this is over.
    Thanks for the update, Bob.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

thanks for the info Bob ...........cant wait to see " How the World Turns" next goes .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Angry

Sometimes justice really sucks. It's too bad that Bradley couldn't get a stay from his death sentence.

Default MONDAY IS THE DAY

Monday the 27th, at the close of business, is the day the N Y Court of Appeals ordered Mr. Baird to file his Brief. I'll find out Tuesday what transpired and post the information. Don't be surprised if Baird files more Motions to extend time for filing and his stay from entering jail. It will be interesting to say the least. Bob Compton, Esq.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Default Brad's Family is still listening

Hello everyone!

My name is Christine Golden and Brad was my brother-in-law. I occasionally recieve e-mail from supporters, and I just wanted you to know that my family appreciates them. It has been a while since I have been online.
    I just wanted to drop a line and let you know that Brad's family is still hoping for some type of justice and we did not give up. We have been focused with some happy news as of late. My husband and I am expecting our first child, due in the last week of April. We do not know if it is a boy or a girl, if it is a boy, it's middle name will be Bradley, after his uncle.

Atty. Moran is applying for an appeal on Tuesday, Feb. 17th according to last night's Rome paper (Rome, NY). I plan on contacting the district attorney on Tuesday, to find out what's going on. I will post a note on the forum, to let all of you know.

Again the family apppreciates your support. Thank you.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Congratulations Christine, that is wonderful news that you are having a baby!

Please know that our thoughts are still with Brad and your family and we are all anxiously waiting with you for justice to be done.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, Christine, congratulations on your news of a pending new addition to your family. I am sure that Bradley would be very proud to be an Uncle. However, as I was told (and have had to agree) life as you know (in a family way) is about to cease. But there is a bright light on that statement: it is for the better, and I wish you and your husband the greatest of pleasures and good times with your new member.

For the other... well you have my support in spirit for the next battle that must be waged. I can only hope that final closure of an appropriate kind is near at hand for you and your family.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Thanks for the information Chirstine, I wish you a wonderful and joyous time with your new baby. We will continue ot support you and will be keeping apprized of this situation.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default CIVIL SUIT FILED

http://www.rny.com/archive/localnews...lairdsvil.html

Congratulations and best wishes, Christine. I wish the pain could be over for you and your family. I'm sure the joy of the baby will help some.
    Last edited by ENG6511; 02-16-2003 at 11:15 AM.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Forum Member

Christine, congratulations on your wonderful news!

Bob, thank you for the link. Let's watch the cockroaches really scramble now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bump

District Chief

Question 19th

Ok...today is the 19th...anyone got any scoop on the appeal. I am sure that as wonderful and thoughtful and caring as attorney Moron...errrrMoran is that he was punctual in his filings.

Christine......congratulations to you and your husband....

I read the story about the law suit....Would love to see the list of defendants... Would be interesting to see how many names on the list are ones that have been identified as responsible or in this case irresponsible by members of this forum during discussion surrounding this tragedy. Perhaps some of us could qualify as Expert Witnesses for the Golden Family.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Christine-First- congratulations to you and your husband on your wonderful news.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family that justice will be served and you will be able to have some measure of closure.

Take care

Cheffie

Sorry gang, spent all day at the hospital. Just found out that I have squamous cell bladder cancer. I'll talk with the State's appellate lawyer in the a.m.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

MembersZone Subscriber

6511, I am sorry to hear your news. I hope that this was caught early and that you can beat it. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

You might be interested in knowing that NIOSH did a study for the ATF a few years ago when they studied the link between fire investigation and an increased rate of bladder cancer in their NRT agents. Don't know if it is relevant to your situaiton, but I thought that I'd let you know.

Default APPEAL BRIEF FILED

George and All: The Appeal Brief was filed on the 19 of February. There is also a "Stay" from entering jail until the appeal is decided. About 1 to 1 1/2 year(s). So we can put the criminal case to the back of our minds for a while. George, as to the civil case( my forte) I will get the complaint and we'll see who the defendants are and other issues of interest, at least to me and perhaps others.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

MembersZone Subscriber

So in other words, even the newest of Probies will have been collecting his/her retirement pension long before this is "finalized". Just freakn' great! Long live democracy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

6511- I am so sorry to hear your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please take care.

Thank you for the updates (sad as they may be) on the criminal case). Perhaps there will be some justice in the civil case.
    Last edited by superchef; 02-20-2003 at 12:43 PM.

Forum Member

Bob, thank you for the information. However, please look after yourself first. My prayers are with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob, is there a chance that any of these idiots up there are protected by the NYS Tort Laws?

George, as you know I havent seen the civil suit yet. Sure, some could be protected by N.Y. Soverign Immunity laws. I'm not sure with out research whether "on the job", N.Y. volunteer fire companies are considered for liability purposes an arm of the State. Even if they are,any State or political sub division thereof can only be liable to the soverign immunity dollar amount promulgated by the legislature. In many states it's $ 100,000.00 or to the extent of their insurance, if any. Plaintiff's attorneys will try to prove coverage under some of the individuals homeowners policies but that will more likely then not be a bust. It will be interesting. The problem won't be liability but collecting the judgement. That's one of the reasons the Plaintiff(s) named so many defendants.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Default <BUMP>

Has anyone heard anything more on this? Or has the Justice System let this one "slide" as well?

Forum Member

Default Not sliding, tunnelling instead.

There is also a "Stay" from entering jail until the appeal is decided. About 1 to 1 1/2 year(s). So we can put the criminal case to the back of our minds for a while.
    Have not seen anything regarding the civil suits either.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information