Permanently Removed

Question How do you like your juniors/explorers?

I am a Junior in my dept. and i was wondering how you guys liked, or got along with your juniors. Are they annoying?, do they work hard? are they slackers ect............
    Last edited by Kvfcjr; 02-11-2003 at 05:24 PM.

Forum Member

Most of our juniors are good, hard working, listening to their seniors, young pups, trying to build a little crust.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Over medium, a little runny, with some pepper.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

IACOJ BOD

And a nice apple shoved in the gob, to stop any strange noises.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Deep fried in a beer batter. Throw in a beer chaser as well.

Forum Member

All seriousness aside, we don't have Juniors but we do have Cadets. If that equates, these young people have been a great asset to our service and I for one am very proud of the work they do.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had a junior program going in our department for quite a while now. I started as a junior when I was 14 and am now a Capt. with 10 1/2 yrs experince in thanks to it. Most of our Jr members are good kids, we allow them to do most everything we do, except enter burning buildings and attend MVA's.
    We have had many members move up to the seniors from the juniors with years of training and experience behind them. Our Junior department has been a great asset to us.

Forum Member

Originally posted by drkblram

again, not meaning to pick on you, but allot of guys and gals here judge you by your grammar.
    Couldn't resist, drkblram...but it should be "a lot of guys and gals"!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

They're a pain in the ***.

However, I was once a pain in the *** (in a different sense than I am now).

They are the future of the fire service and must be trained (and tolerated) correctly ... much like someone tolerated me many moons ago.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

I like mine with big eyes big ears and a tiny, almost nonexsistent mouth. Hopefully then they would shut up and pay attention.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Post To answer your question...

...yes, yes, and yes.

Some make themselves annoying and are slackers. Some work very hard and respect the fact that we are at work and can not always tend to their needs at their convenience.

Forum Member

Originally posted by EastKyFF

Couldn't resist, drkblram...but it should be "a lot of guys and gals"!
    Drkblram was just testing you!

Bonus question! what does Drkblram stand for? PS: I know!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Our senior explorers are almost as good as some of the firefighters there, they are knowledgble and are always eger to train, a few new ones are cocky, just like probys I would say, the senior men will fix that soon enough =D

Forum Member

Not sure Gonzo but there are a couple of things I could guess. What I really want to know is what does ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf mean

Thumbs up

F*ck The Mutts-Protect The Brothers-UMM Ready For Business???(acronym check)-Everyone Goes Home-Kill The Fire???(again...acronym check)... I know FTM-PTB-EGH are all right... Not so sure about the other two. Maybe someone else can give you some guidance.

Thanks manofire2!!! It's nice to know that we have the support of the guys on the floor!!
    **These are my opinions solely and do not represent any agency that I am affiliated with**

Forum Member

Default the key to the abbreviations

From the Fraternal Order Of Leatherheads Society aka "the FOOLS"

ftm: (expletive deleted) the mutts
    ptb: protect the brothers
    rfb: remember fallen brothers
    ktf: keep the faith
    egh: everyone goes home
    dtrt: do the right thing
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

In my department, the explorers are a great asset. Several of them are more active than most of our other firefighters. they do grunt work without complaining, and are happy to just be included in the fire service. I feel the explorer program is very good, as it allows a young person to get some experience before they are 18 and are thrown into the world of firefighting.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

it would not mean dark blue ram would it

cadats are what we have and the one we have know does a good job. he is only around on the weekends and does a good job
    he is like me he grew up in the dept. so we all now him and want to help him

( we both have gotten away with doing more then we should)
    i am now a senior but i love helping the cadats and probies when we have them.
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had an Explorer Post for 13 years now. In fact, I was once a charter member of the Explorer Post 800 when it was started way back when.

Out of our Explorer Post, there have been several past explorers get hired full time on other departments. I think the total is up to 11 now, including me. We have used our Explorers extensively over the years. They have helped out the fire dept. in many ways including being on calls in rehab or running the cascade system. They are a great help around the station with station duties or different projects going on. They can do the same training that the rest of the department gets. If they maintain a B average in school, when they reach 17 years of age we can send them to Entry Level Firefighter and eventually Certified Firefighter Level I by the time they reach 18.

We started a 3-4 day Fire Academy involving other Explorer posts around our area in 1996 and it has now become so big it has to be held at a military base, Fort McCoy in Wisconsin. There are groups from all over the state and some from Minnesota now that come. They go to classes during the day ranging from state certification classes to special rescue and haz-mat, anything and everything for classes. They are also assigned a shift and a certain shift is "on duty" during that day or time period and must "respond" to any calls that might come in. We have several simulated incidents throughout the weekend with live fire drills, extrication, ems calls, special rescues, etc. that they respond to and learn how to deal with it. Yes, they come in like real life and sometimes they even get woke up or interupted while eating to respond to a call. It is fun for both the explorers and the advisors/instructors. It is followed up with firefighter games on Sunday.

So, I guess to sum it up, we like having the explorers around. They are our future. Like someone else said, I have to tolerate them just like someone tolerated me!!

If anyone wants more information about this Explorer Academy you can email at dickeydo@ecol.net

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Thread Information